College?!?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: College?!?

Post by TillyGalore » December 11th, 2009, 9:33 am

Rovix, what did your UNC grad dad say about your acceptance to Duke?
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » December 11th, 2009, 9:49 am

TillyGalore wrote:Rovix, what did your UNC grad dad say about your acceptance to Duke?
I imagine, unless Rolvix called him already, he doesn't know. Interviewers will be informed on Monday who was accepted and asked to make congratulatory calls next week.
-- DukeUsul
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 11th, 2009, 9:57 am

DukeUsul wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Rovix, what did your UNC grad dad say about your acceptance to Duke?
I imagine, unless Rolvix called him already, he doesn't know. Interviewers will be informed on Monday who was accepted and asked to make congratulatory calls next week.
I was talking about his father, who is a UNC grad.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » December 11th, 2009, 10:01 am

TillyGalore wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
Oh duh. That's why your post says dad in it. I'm not reading well today.

So I'll be curious to see if his interviewer - either the scheduled one or the UNC stuckee calls Rolvix next week.
-- DukeUsul
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » December 11th, 2009, 10:03 am

Who knows what he said, but parents always hope that their kids will be more successful than themselves so he should at least be thrilled ;)
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » December 11th, 2009, 10:08 am

TillyGalore wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:

By the way Tilly, what flag is that in your sig?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » December 11th, 2009, 10:10 am

Rolvix wrote:December 10, 2009

Rolvix Harlan Patterson
123 Awesome Rd
On his way to Duke

Dear Rolvix:

Congratulations – Duke University is now your university. I would like to invite you to join a most impressive group of students who will comprise our Class of 2014.

The Admissions Committee is especially pleased to offer admission to so many extraordinary students who care enough about Duke to apply under our Early Decision program. You and the other 600 students admitted this month will be the core of our incoming class next fall.

Your classmates will come from around the world and will bring to Duke a wealth of perspectives and interests. The student body you are joining, among the world’s most talented and most engaged, is a thriving community enriched by its diversity. You should be proud to be one of the contributors to that community, for you have earned your place within it. You and your classmates will distinguish yourselves academically and personally over the next four years, and you will leave Duke exceptionally well prepared to make a difference in the world.

We do ask you to complete some paperwork to conclude the Early Decision process. First, to secure your place in the Class of 2014, please return the reply card you receive in the mail as soon as possible, and no later than January 5, 2010. Second, if you have already applied to other colleges, please remember that you need to withdraw your application from each individual school.

Finally, I realize that with the admissions process behind you it will be easier for you to enjoy the rest of your senior year. Please remember that we expect you to maintain high standards of academic performance and personal behavior in and out of school, including abiding by our Community Standard, which you will find on the reply form. If there is any change in the information in your application – including academic, personal, disciplinary, or legal matters – you need to contact me within 72 hours. We reserve the right to withdraw our offer of admission should your standing in any of these areas change or if you do not meet the terms of the Community Standard between now and the beginning of our fall term.

You have my warmest congratulations and my best wishes for continued success for the remainder of your senior year. The faculty and I look forward to having you among us.

Sincerely,

Christoph Guttentag
Dean of Undergraduate Admission

I thought this morning that it might be an idea to have one of the mods (since it is now too late for you to edit this post) delete your address info. For safety's sake, that might not be the kind of info you want openly displayed on the interwebs. Just a thought...
Last edited by Miles on December 11th, 2009, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed address in quote for privacy
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » December 11th, 2009, 10:11 am

colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
DukeUsul wrote: I imagine, unless Rolvix called him already, he doesn't know. Interviewers will be informed on Monday who was accepted and asked to make congratulatory calls next week.

By the way Tilly, what flag is that in your sig?
Hawaii. Right-click the flag, and save it to your desktop. You'll see the filename is "Hawaii.gif"
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » December 11th, 2009, 10:14 am

colchar wrote: I thought this morning that it might be an idea to have one of the mods (since it is now too late for you to edit this post) delete your address info. For safety's sake, that might not be the kind of info you want openly displayed on the interwebs. Just a thought...
Good call! Done and doner.
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 11th, 2009, 10:17 am

colchar wrote:By the way Tilly, what flag is that in your sig?
Hawaii state flag.

Did you know that there is a small part of the big island that is owned by the Brits? It's true. The area around Captain Cook's monument.
Capt Cook.JPG
All those homo sapiens should be considered illegal immigrants. :)) :)) :))
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » December 11th, 2009, 10:23 am

Miles wrote:
colchar wrote: I thought this morning that it might be an idea to have one of the mods (since it is now too late for you to edit this post) delete your address info. For safety's sake, that might not be the kind of info you want openly displayed on the interwebs. Just a thought...

You'll also have to do it to my post above in which I quoted his letter.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » December 11th, 2009, 10:25 am

TillyGalore wrote:
Hawaii state flag.

I was asking because I am surprised that the Union flag is included in a state flag.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 11th, 2009, 10:30 am

colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Hawaii state flag.

I was asking because I am surprised that the Union flag is included in a state flag.
Hawaii was once an independent kingdom. (1810 - 1893) The flag was designed at the request of King Kamehameha I. It has eight stripes of white, red and blue that represent the eight main islands. The flag of Great Britain is emblazoned in the upper left corner to honor Hawaii's friendship with the British. The combination of the stripes of the United States flag and the Union Jack of Great Britain is said to have pleased the merchant shippers of both nations. Flag adopted for official state use in 1959.
http://www.50states.com/hawaii.htm
Miles

Post by Miles » December 11th, 2009, 10:31 am

colchar wrote:
Miles wrote:

You'll also have to do it to my post above in which I quoted his letter.
Already taken care of. I went through thread and redacted all occurrences of the address.
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 11th, 2009, 10:43 am

Rolvix also posted his letter in the Milestones thread. You may need to go over there and redact it.
Miles

Post by Miles » December 11th, 2009, 12:55 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Rolvix also posted his letter in the Milestones thread. You may need to go over there and redact it.
Done. Our first lesson for young Rolvix as he enters the almost real world. Don't paste your address, phone number on website; CTN mods may not always be there to help you out. ;-)
sMiles
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » December 11th, 2009, 1:51 pm

colchar wrote:
Rolvix wrote:I still haven't closed that pop-up screen with my admission decision in it yet.

Dude - I still have a hard copy of my undergrad acceptance letter, my M.A. acceptance letter (neither school/program did it online), as well as both the email and hard copy letters from my acceptance into my PhD program (actually, I still have the letters from the programs I turned down)! Save yours to every hard-drive you've got. Print it (or wait for the hard copy in the mail) and frame it. Seriously, this is an amazing accomplishment that you worked very hard to earn so cherish every moment of it - and shout it to the rafters as you have every right to blow your own horn right now. As I said in another post, everyone else here has experienced what you are experiencing right now (whether for undergrad or grad school) and we know how amazing it feels. I am sure everyone else here would agree with me when I tell you to enjoy it, celebrate it, and to never ever forget the feeling.

Once again, congrats - great job kid!!!

Just out of curiosity, what will you be majoring in (assuming you've decided)?
Haha, I printed it last night and will be saving it.
Today I got my letter in the mail with the real hard copy! :ymdevil:
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » December 11th, 2009, 1:52 pm

bjornolf wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Robbie, that is awesome! CathyCA is on the way to choir practice, so 8-x phoned me to get an update for her if she see's your grandparents. Huge congrats on your acceptance! You now have no excuse to miss brunchgates next year, and hopefully you will get your classmates to join you in the stands. Again, that is awesome! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Yea, 8-x called me last night FROM the road at like 6:15 to have me check CTN and update him so he could call Cathy. Had the WHOLE network going. ;)

%%-
:D :D :D :D You guys are AWESOME.
What a wonderful group of Duke fans!
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » December 11th, 2009, 1:55 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Who's gonna teach Rob the secret handshake?
Wait - there's a secret handshake?

Congratulations, Rolvix! :ymhug: :ymparty: :ymhug: :ymparty: :ymhug: :ymparty:

Now vibes for lots of scholarships!
Secret handshake?!!?! I want in!

Oh, and about the financial aid... I missed the deadline of November 15th to submit my CSS profile (I have no idea how I missed that. I had the email open for about three days and I still forgot to mention it to my parents.) So I don't know about financial aid/scholarships from Duke right now. I should find out shortly after I submit my W2 forms and stuff...

Duke is so expensive. The median is slightly over $53,000 this year.
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » December 11th, 2009, 1:56 pm

My UNC grad dad was the one who was jumping around and shouting with excitement, while my mom was crying and I was sitting there stunned.
:D

I don't think he's ever been prouder of me.
Class of 2014