The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 22nd, 2011, 10:00 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Wow, that was fast. I received an e-mail this morning from a hiring manager at Company B. He is interested in talking with me and wanted to know a convenient time to reach me. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Does this impact your travel plans for today or this weekend? Or does that depend on how your first phone call goes? Which you might already have made! B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 22nd, 2011, 10:11 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Wow, that was fast. I received an e-mail this morning from a hiring manager at Company B. He is interested in talking with me and wanted to know a convenient time to reach me. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Does this impact your travel plans for today or this weekend? Or does that depend on how your first phone call goes? Which you might already have made! B-)
No impact on plans for this weekend. I'll still be at Brunchgate!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 22nd, 2011, 10:19 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

No impact on plans for this weekend. I'll still be at Brunchgate!
Whew! Was worried (but thrilled for you) for a minute there. Oh, gotta call it fka Brunchgate, since we dropped the tent name this year in favor of True Blue 'Cue Crew ;) "Brunchgate" was so much easier when referring to the event... :D

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 22nd, 2011, 10:38 am

Way to go, AD. Proving once again that it isn't always what you know but who you know.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 22nd, 2011, 11:31 am

Just finished with Phone Interview #1. Phone interview #2 could very well be happening tomorrow. This is going down FAST. An on-site interview in Boston would be the next step.

Wouldn't it be wild if I had an offer by the time I came back from vacation? :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 22nd, 2011, 11:55 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Just finished with Phone Interview #1. Phone interview #2 could very well be happening tomorrow. This is going down FAST. An on-site interview in Boston would be the next step.

Wouldn't it be wild if I had an offer by the time I came back from vacation? :ymdevil:
That would be great! I take it that the 2nd interview would occur while you were driving (perhaps on a bluetooth device)? Or would you stop somewhere to be able to fully concentrate while talking?

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 22nd, 2011, 12:04 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Just finished with Phone Interview #1. Phone interview #2 could very well be happening tomorrow. This is going down FAST. An on-site interview in Boston would be the next step.

That would be great! I take it that the 2nd interview would occur while you were driving (perhaps on a bluetooth device)? Or would you stop somewhere to be able to fully concentrate while talking?
I would need to pull over, for sure. My Garmin has Bluetooth capabilities, but I would like to devote my full attention to the interview.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 22nd, 2011, 12:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I would need to pull over, for sure. My Garmin has Bluetooth capabilities, but I would like to devote my full attention to the interview.
Good decision. Love my Garmin, but hate using the Bluetooth phone part, so I don't. My new Sonata has built in Bluetooth and that I absolutely love using! The mic and speaker are right over my head (instead of being on the windshield) so the clarity is amazing. I no longer feel like I have to shout when I'm talking hands free, and I don't "lean forward" to be closer to the mic, even though that probably didn't make any difference at all. Only problem I have found is I haven't figured out how to handle the call waiting on it yet - I've disconnected calls twice now. Pilot error, I'm sure. Must be the other button I should push to switch calls...

Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 22nd, 2011, 1:07 pm

That new door may be easing open...........
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 22nd, 2011, 1:47 pm

:happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 22nd, 2011, 2:52 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

:happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :happy-bouncyblue:
:text-woo: :text-goodpost: :text-bravo:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 22nd, 2011, 3:07 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Vibing for interview 2 and an onsite and an offer all with the speed of light.

Definitely pull over for the phone interview (it wouldn't hurt to apologize for the 'background noise...I'm on my way to Durham and am in my car in a parking lot' it shows you are serious about the gig). Yes, even if there is no 'background noise'. Concentration aside, you don't want the call dropping because you hit a highway cell coverage dead zone or have to explain that you yelled 'ASSHOLE' not at the interviewer, but at the guy who just cut you off!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 22nd, 2011, 4:17 pm

windsor wrote::wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Vibing for interview 2 and an onsite and an offer all with the speed of light.

Definitely pull over for the phone interview (it wouldn't hurt to apologize for the 'background noise...I'm on my way to Durham and am in my car in a parking lot' it shows you are serious about the gig). Yes, even if there is no 'background noise'. Concentration aside, you don't want the call dropping because you hit a highway cell coverage dead zone or have to explain that you yelled 'ASSHOLE' not at the interviewer, but at the guy who just cut you off!
It will also show your concern for safety. And, the level of importance you place on the call. :wizard:

Oh yeah! YAY! :clap:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 22nd, 2011, 8:18 pm

Is the hiring manager from "Company B" a "boogie woogie bugle boy?" :| :))
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 22nd, 2011, 9:18 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
Is the hiring manager from "Company B" a "boogie woogie bugle boy?" :| :))
Love, Ima
=)) =)) =)) :clap:
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 22nd, 2011, 9:43 pm

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: Sounds good. Sending vibes for tomorrows interview. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2011, 10:37 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: That would be great! I take it that the 2nd interview would occur while you were driving (perhaps on a bluetooth device)? Or would you stop somewhere to be able to fully concentrate while talking?
Good decision. Love my Garmin, but hate using the Bluetooth phone part, so I don't. My new Sonata has built in Bluetooth and that I absolutely love using! The mic and speaker are right over my head (instead of being on the windshield) so the clarity is amazing. I no longer feel like I have to shout when I'm talking hands free, and I don't "lean forward" to be closer to the mic, even though that probably didn't make any difference at all. Only problem I have found is I haven't figured out how to handle the call waiting on it yet - I've disconnected calls twice now. Pilot error, I'm sure. Must be the other button I should push to switch calls...
Take the protective covering off the lens, err, microphone. Much clearer then. :-*
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 22nd, 2011, 11:42 pm

devildeac wrote: Take the protective covering off the lens, err, microphone. Much clearer then. :-*
Thank you for your very timely advice. I was right in the other thread. You're a ...!

windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 23rd, 2011, 1:09 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Extra dose of vibes, just to keep the wheels greased.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » September 23rd, 2011, 7:26 pm

And just in case they don't extend the offer while you're talking in the car, we can all offer in-person vibes tomorrow while tailgating - couldn't hurt...
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: