Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: an interesting dilemma...

Post by ArkieDukie » June 24th, 2011, 10:04 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Outfriggingstanding! :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:

Please give all three my best! ;)
I'll be sure to do that, Ozzie! =))
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 24th, 2011, 10:27 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Oh, and he DID invite everyone but me. Nice, right?
Sometimes I think we have the same dude as boss...if it weren't for the fact that my boss would never have a function as you described, at all.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 24th, 2011, 10:55 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I was not told this directly, but I overheard my boss and Pushy PI talking. The manuscript was rejected! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :ymdevil: :9f:
:ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :happy-bouncyblue: =)) =)) :banana-dance: :happy-partydance: :music-rockon: :laughing-lmao:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 25th, 2011, 2:14 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I was not told this directly, but I overheard my boss and Pushy PI talking. The manuscript was rejected! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :ymdevil: :9f:
That's the best news I've had all day. =)) =)) =)) :))
Thanks, VDB! I must admit, it made my day, too. I waited until I got home to really laugh about it, though. :ymdevil:
What a relief!! Was it rejected outright, or was it a "let's see some revisions?" Did the substance of comments support you in any way? Be sure to ask to see the comments.
#:-s
Any word from the Minion? :^o :^o :^o
You know, that's pretty quick turnaround on a paper. It must have been a slam dunk reject. :clap:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 25th, 2011, 2:25 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Well, in case I had any doubt about my status in the lab, I found out tonight that my boss is having a 4th of July shindig and invited at least one person in the lab. I wasn't invited. I'm going to be out of town on the 4th, but he didn't know that. Isn't it poor form for the boss to selectively invite employees to a party that he's having, assuming that you have less than 10 people working for you?
It's very poor form to invite one person from work to a party, without opening the invitations to everyone in the office, unless the office is so large that it becomes unmanageable (and ten is not unmanageable). He should have invited no one, or everyone. X(

Sounds like the PHB. When I turned 40, there were 3 birthdays in our office that month. The other two office staffers (the victim-witness coordinator and "operations manager" -fancy title for head secretary) each got a liter bottle of Grey Goose. He didn't even bother to wish me happy birthday. There are 11 people in my office.
Oh, and he DID invite everyone but me. Nice, right?
What a rhymes-with-schmuck!!!
b-( b-(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 25th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Lavabe wrote:What a relief!! Was it rejected outright, or was it a "let's see some revisions?" Did the substance of comments support you in any way? Be sure to ask to see the comments.
#:-s
Any word from the Minion? :^o :^o :^o
You know, that's pretty quick turnaround on a paper. It must have been a slam dunk reject. :clap:
I don't know, but I did hear Pushy PI say something about being optimistic. I heard something about no proof of reproducibiliy, and Pushy PI said they have the data for that. Well, actually, they kinda do. They combined results from multiple experiments to get the results in the manuscript. They also didn't do all of their experiments the same way every time. I bet the existing data will be massaged and the manuscript resubmitted. I'd love to see the comments, but I don't think there's any way in Hades they'll show them to me - especially if there's something in them that backs the problems I had with the manuscript.

I wonder if they'll keep that erroneous data point in the future draft? :-?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 25th, 2011, 3:28 pm

Whoop Dee DOOOO! and Hooray for YOOOOOOOO! We're having fun now. More to come the day you walk out that door for good. How's the job search coming?

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 25th, 2011, 3:51 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
:)) =)) :)) =)) :ymparty: :ymapplause: 8-}

Hysterical! If they had listened to you, they could have submitted a manuscript that would have been accepted.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 26th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Karma.

I love it!

:ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 27th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Lavabe wrote:Any word from the Minion? :^o :^o :^o
The Minion was in our lab for a good chunk of the day, doing data analysis. She came by my desk to ask me to "help" her calculate the value for a modification she was looking for. I referred her to the website where she could look up the number herself. :ymdevil: (Editorial comment: she should do the data analysis in her own lab; she has the necessary software. She just does this in our lab so she can spy on us and ask inane questions.)

Still nothing from any of them regarding the manuscript. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 27th, 2011, 7:25 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
The Minion was in our lab for a good chunk of the day, doing data analysis. She came by my desk to ask me to "help" her calculate the value for a modification she was looking for. I referred her to the website where she could look up the number herself. :ymdevil: (Editorial comment: she should do the data analysis in her own lab; she has the necessary software. She just does this in our lab so she can spy on us and ask inane questions.)

Good move! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 27th, 2011, 7:31 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Good move! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f:
Thanks; I thought so. I'm so over her coming to my desk to ask me to "help" her do something. The translation of "helping" her is to do it while she looks over your shoulder to make sure you do what she asked. I'm finished with "helping" her do stuff that she's too lazy to do herself. :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 27th, 2011, 10:56 pm

You are a wise woman, AD!
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 29th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Pushy PI and The Minion met with my boss this morning. After the meeting, Pushy PI had a very loud conversation with my boss (for my benefit, I'm sure) about how optimistic he is with regard to the paper being accepted after revisions. To answer the questions about reproducibility, they're pooling old samples and re-analyzing them. Normally one would repeat the entire experiment. :doh: :ymsigh: L-) :^o

In case I haven't mentioned it lately, I'm really glad that I'm off that manuscript.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » June 29th, 2011, 6:54 pm

I am so happy the manuscript was rejected. It seems to me that if the editors saw through their bullshit the first time, they'll see through it again. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 29th, 2011, 11:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Pushy PI and The Minion met with my boss this morning. After the meeting, Pushy PI had a very loud conversation with my boss (for my benefit, I'm sure) about how optimistic he is with regard to the paper being accepted after revisions. To answer the questions about reproducibility, they're pooling old samples and re-analyzing them. Normally one would repeat the entire experiment. :doh: :ymsigh: L-) :^o

In case I haven't mentioned it lately, I'm really glad that I'm off that manuscript.
Here's the perfect journal for that manuscript to go in:
http://www.jir.com/
:D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 30th, 2011, 10:35 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Pushy PI and The Minion met with my boss this morning. After the meeting, Pushy PI had a very loud conversation with my boss (for my benefit, I'm sure) about how optimistic he is with regard to the paper being accepted after revisions. To answer the questions about reproducibility, they're pooling old samples and re-analyzing them. Normally one would repeat the entire experiment. :doh: :ymsigh: L-) :^o

:))

What would behoove a scientist (besides stupidity) NOT to repeat the entire experiment?
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 30th, 2011, 6:05 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

:))

What would behoove a scientist (besides stupidity) NOT to repeat the entire experiment?
Laziness would be near the top of the list. Arrogance is up there, too. But, you are correct, stupidity is at the top of the list. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

The Minion has just about pushed me over the edge. The B!tch sent an e-mail to me late this afternoon, copying my boss, asking me to "help her" process her data files. "Help her" means do it for her, especially in this case - it's not something she can do. Being a responsible person and on top of my job, I started processing her d@mn data files this morning. It was all I could do to NOT say something about not taking my orders from her. The response was a simple, "The files have been processing since early this morning." X( X( X(

My co-workers and I are fed up with The Minion. She comes into our lab and issues orders like she owns the place. She expects us to drop whatever we're doing and help her when she asks. She has actually started issuing orders to me when I'm literally in the middle of typing a sentence, and I'm not the only person she's done that to. When we don't immediately start helping her, she whines to her boss, who then gets on our boss. In fact, she got one of my co-workers in trouble because he didn't drop everything the instant she asked.

It seems to me like my boss shouldn't like someone other than him issuing orders to his employees, especially since she's somewhat deceptive when she does it. She tells people to do things, saying my boss said to do it, when he has not done so. I'm not sure why the heck he hasn't issued a cease and desist order for her, unless he's afraid of ticking off Pushy PI. I still say that it's not her place to order us around, and my boss shouldn't let her do so.

Okay, sending a hefty round of shin kicks and ending rant now...
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 30th, 2011, 9:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Okay, sending a hefty round of shin kicks and ending rant now...
We need a shin kicking smilie.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.