Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 9th, 2010, 9:30 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Beer folks--work and girlfriend have cut into my beer consumption of late, but, wanted to let you all know that I was able to snag four bottles of this: http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/avery- ... ged-series

It's Avery's Quinquepartite, the fifth in their barrel aged series and a beer they only made 97 cases of, only 60 of which are available to the public. I convinced a friend in Boulder to go there on Friday and buy the maximum purchase of 6 in exchange for giving her two of the bottles. Once I get my hands on my four, I'll taste one and post a review. The other three will be stored away (along with my bottles of Brabant and Depuceleuse) for future tastings.
wow...sounds awesome. :ymapplause:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » August 9th, 2010, 9:32 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Beer folks--work and girlfriend have cut into my beer consumption of late, but, wanted to let you all know that I was able to snag four bottles of this: http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/avery- ... ged-series

It's Avery's Quinquepartite, the fifth in their barrel aged series and a beer they only made 97 cases of, only 60 of which are available to the public. I convinced a friend in Boulder to go there on Friday and buy the maximum purchase of 6 in exchange for giving her two of the bottles. Once I get my hands on my four, I'll taste one and post a review. The other three will be stored away (along with my bottles of Brabant and Depuceleuse) for future tastings.
Nice grab...I read about this and it sounds like a winner..I'm hoping some of this sneaks out east but it sounds like a stretch. How was Depuceleuse? I've heard mixed things and I recently passed up on a bottle at $10 (12oz)..I did like Brabant..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2010, 9:40 pm

I'm thinking about what I can offer as a suitable trader if/when we ski the Rockies next spring... :think:

Sounds awesome.

Edit: (CB&B beat me to it)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2010, 9:42 pm

bluebeer wrote:

Nice grab...I read about this and it sounds like a winner..I'm hoping some of this sneaks out east but it sounds like a stretch. How was Depuceleuse? I've heard mixed things and I recently passed up on a bottle at $10 (12oz)..I did like Brabant..
$10 for a 12 ouncer? WTH?

:(( :((
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 9th, 2010, 9:47 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:

If they only brewed 97 cases, that means they only brewed roughly 250 gallons. (5 gallons = 2 cases) Assuming they want to turn a profit, and assuming they went all out on the ingredients, $10 is not surprising.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Double Simcoe IIPA-Weyerbacher

Just finishing a bottle of this now, about 6 months after buying it. This has a bit less citrus now and a tad more resin/pine and maltiness. A bit smoother. Still highly enjoyable and about $9 for the 4 pack.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 9th, 2010, 10:42 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:

Exactly...I've reluctantly splurged on a few $15 bombers in the past but couldn't justify $10 for a single beer...

bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 10th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Alesmith Wee Heavy..I love Alesmith brews though they have very limited distribution around here. A bunch will find their way on the shelves and then nothing for 6 months-year. My favorite is the Wee Heavy (also my favorite scotch ale). I managed to find one of these for the first time in about 2 years along with a few other new ones for me from Alesmith. Pours a nice deep copper brown with a light head. Lots and Lots of both sweet and roasted malts balanced nicely with dry earthy peat. What separates this one for me is an almost quad-like hint of dark fruit. Some booziness but not unexpected for 10%. Great beer with the remaining half of the bomber on tap for tonight. Hoping to snag at least one more of these to tuck away.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 10th, 2010, 10:07 pm

bluebeer wrote:

It's brewery only, and I suspect they sold out at the Friday release party.

Depuceleuse was good, although not nearly as tart as I had hoped. I expect it to mellow with age, so I think it's as sour as it's going to get.

Quinquepartite is currently coming to temperature on the counter.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 10th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Big Eye IPA-Ballast Point Brewing

A trader from a drug rep last week and an ale from a brewery I had never heard of before. Excellent brew for the style. Golden yellow with a 1-2 finger foamy head and a nose of citrus and a bit of pine but a taste of citrus peel more than juice and more pine than the aroma suggests. Well balanced as the IBU is pretty hefty at 85 which is kinda high for a regular IPA but it doesn't appear that brutal. The ABV is 7% so it's a single for me tonight. A pleasant summer brew but not really a quencher based on its IBU and ABV but a solid dinner beer with mild to moderately spicy/peppery entrees. I'll have to look for the Sculphin (SP?) as bluebeer suggested.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 11th, 2010, 12:15 pm

I tried a bottle of Chateau CB&B last night. Nice, smooth, and hoppy. It had an "ss" marked on the cap. What was it?

YUMMY red ale?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 11th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Lavabe wrote:I tried a bottle of Chateau CB&B last night. Nice, smooth, and hoppy. It had an "ss" marked on the cap. What was it?

YUMMY red ale?
Ummm, that is the highly potent Sweet Sixteen. Was it extra heady? The last one I poured was. It tasted fine, but the extra head is a sign to drink it up now if you have any left.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 11th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Lavabe wrote:I tried a bottle of Chateau CB&B last night. Nice, smooth, and hoppy. It had an "ss" marked on the cap. What was it?

YUMMY red ale?
Sweet Sixteen, brewed near the middle of March, IIRC. I thought it was a barleywine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 11th, 2010, 11:15 pm

SA Double Bock or Imperial Bock

I searched this thread but can't find where anyone posted about this. This may be one of the first double bocks I have ever had and still like this a lot. Label says "half a pound of malt in each bottle" or something like that. Enough for a loaf of bread. And it tastes like it with toasted croissant flavors and caramel and milk chocolate, too. It's a lager so it's low IBU, guessing about 20. The ABV is quite high for a lager and double bock at 9.5%, so if I start typing skiwjrm, ishjhtjks and ojnwkdkls for part of a sentence, I'll blame it on the booziness of the brew ;) :D . Let it sit on the counter for 15-30 minutes before sipping this for dessert or with a piece of pee-can pie or a blondie if you prefer something solid for dessert with it. I got this as a trader last week and I think it's about $9 for a 4 pack. Oh, and one final comment: risjahg and hysiutis. :ymblushing:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 13th, 2010, 8:56 am

I was going to hit up Total Wine on my way to Virginny tonight, or on my way back Monday, but have instead decided to go check this place out in Blacksburg. http://www.vintagecellar.com/
Looks like they have an awesome selection..I'm picking up some for trading with DD next weekend, beyond that I'm looking forward to shopping in the land of higher ABV. Hopefully I'll be able to restrain myself...but I doubt it. :happy-bouncyblue: :beer: :beer: :happy-bouncyblue: They do online sales..and ship. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2010, 9:00 am

Mojo IPA-Boulder Brewing

For the capt. :D . Three grains (pale, wheat and 20L caramel) and two hops (Amarillo and Centennial) brewed into a golden, light caramel color with a mildly foamy head and mostly resin taste. The web site says citrus but that's not what my palate perceives. I'd guess the IBU in the 60-70 range and the ABV is 6.8%. Good but not great brew to have with Cathy's/Lavabe's or Miles' citrus salsas on chicken or fish. This was part of a 6er trader last week. Not a brew I'd search out and buy but definitely worth a taste to compare to other IPAs from the shelves.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2010, 9:02 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was going to hit up Total Wine on my way to Virginny tonight, or on my way back Monday, but have instead decided to go check this place out in Blacksburg. http://www.vintagecellar.com/
Looks like they have an awesome selection..I'm picking up some for trading with DD next weekend, beyond that I'm looking forward to shopping in the land of higher ABV. Hopefully I'll be able to restrain myself...but I doubt it. :happy-bouncyblue: :beer: :beer: :happy-bouncyblue: They do online sales..and ship. :D
I would think it would get real expensive real quickly to ship beer. I'm sensing we'll be trading 12 brews instead of 6...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 13th, 2010, 9:06 am

devildeac wrote: I would think it would get real expensive real quickly to ship beer. I'm sensing we'll be trading 12 brews instead of 6...
I think so too...to both. I'll call from the store and see if we want to do any bomber exchanges, depending on what stands out.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2010, 9:43 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: I would think it would get real expensive real quickly to ship beer. I'm sensing we'll be trading 12 brews instead of 6...
I think so too...to both. I'll call from the store and see if we want to do any bomber exchanges, depending on what stands out.
I was just thinking that is quite a selection. Call me. 12 ounce traders or bomber traders would be fine. I'm gonna see what you come up with as there appear to be some unique (aka pricey) brews I have never heard of before.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 13th, 2010, 9:47 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

YUMMY red ale?
Ummm, that is the highly potent Sweet Sixteen. Was it extra heady? The last one I poured was. It tasted fine, but the extra head is a sign to drink it up now if you have any left.
Strong initial hoppiness, very heady, but really delicious, especially after the opening hops. Clear red, with little carbonation.

Really a very nice sipping beer that is complemented very well with garlic salsa and chips. :D :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.