LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by captmojo » June 1st, 2009, 8:37 pm

wilson wrote:What, are y'all eating dinner or something? ENTERTAIN ME! :x
I had fried chicken, cornbread and butter. Yes, pure, natural butter.
I stayed away from the pintos and cabbage that were available. The fumes of all Hell might kill everyone in the county.
The gas pains might kill me!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 8:40 pm

I gotta make another batch of pulled pork this weekend. We're having a big lake weekend/going away party for one of my best friends, who's off to grad school this fall, and I signed up to make BBQ for sandwiches for Saturday. I'm getting to where I can just about make that recipe with my eyes closed.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » June 1st, 2009, 8:45 pm

Oh! Something that might spark a conversation for a minute or so:

I won the election for senior class Vice President today! Not surprising, because no one ran against me. I like to think I scared them (the new Parliamentarian and Historian) off before the campaigns even began. And one of my best friends won president (A Duke fan as well, but I could have beaten him... Except I promised I would run "with" him almost a year ago...) The amazing thing is not that he won, but the fact that he ran as a write-in candidate! His name wasn't even on the ballot, but with a few clever campaign slogans and a large amount of support from all different "cliques", we managed to pull off a victory. :D **==

Now people are telling me that the Senior Class Advisors (the Teachers in charge of student council) are going to CREATE new positions for the two girls that lost to my friend. One was the president this year, and the other has been involved with student council as well, losing to the current president. They claim these positions are going to have basically the same capacity as president, and that my friend will be more of a "Figure-Head" for our senior class than an actual president.

How is that fair? I know that they wouldn't have created a new position for my friend if he had lost. I mean, if you lose, you lose. I might have to take this up with the principal. :evil:
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 8:46 pm

Well, the ECU Pirates (my horse in the NCAA baseball race, now that Duke's season is over) are trying to take a wild one. They are the first-round host, but they lost 12-2 in their first game against regional #2 seed South Carolina. After working their way back to the finals via the losers' bracket, they took an 8-1 lead against South Carolina yesterday before hanging on for an 8-6 victory. Tonight, in the final game, they fell behind 6-0 after 3 innings, but now in the bottom of the 7th, the score stands at 7-6, ECU batting with 2 on and 2 out.
GO PIRATES! :ar!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 8:50 pm

CellR wrote:Oh! Something that might spark a conversation for a minute or so:

I won the election for senior class Vice President today! Not surprising, because no one ran against me. I like to think I scared them (the new Parliamentarian and Historian) off before the campaigns even began. And one of my best friends won president (A Duke fan as well, but I could have beaten him... Except I promised I would run "with" him almost a year ago...) The amazing thing is not that he won, but the fact that he ran as a write-in candidate! His name wasn't even on the ballot, but with a few clever campaign slogans and a large amount of support from all different "cliques", we managed to pull off a victory. :D **==

Now people are telling me that the Senior Class Advisors (the Teachers in charge of student council) are going to CREATE new positions for the two girls that lost to my friend. One was the president this year, and the other has been involved with student council as well, losing to the current president. They claim these positions are going to have basically the same capacity as president, and that my friend will be more of a "Figure-Head" for our senior class than an actual president.

How is that fair? I know that they wouldn't have created a new position for my friend if he had lost. I mean, if you lose, you lose. I might have to take this up with the principal. :evil:
Yeah, that's bogus. The "everyone's a winner" epidemic that has swept through high schools in recent years is really infuriating. I myself was a victim of such things a time or two during my high school days.
That said, I think this is a really good chance for you and your friend to step up and show some true leadership, by demonstrating why such favoritism is unfair and unwarranted, but also by being mature and finding ways to incorporate the losers' input for your senior year through channels other than these unfairly created "new positions."
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 1st, 2009, 8:54 pm

wilson wrote:Yeah, that's bogus. The "everyone's a winner" epidemic that has swept through high schools in recent years is really infuriating. I myself was a victim of such things a time or two during my high school days.
That said, I think this is a really good chance for you and your friend to step up and show some true leadership, by demonstrating why such favoritism is unfair and unwarranted, but also by being mature and finding ways to incorporate the losers' input for your senior year through channels other than these unfairly created "new positions."
Since school is over, I was thinking of emailing the "Advisors" to ask them what the deal is. I don't know how well I will be able to demonstrate that favoritism is unfair to them, but I am definitely thinking about suggesting positions like "Senior Class Representative" for them. Both of the candidates that lost would help tremendously if they were on student council, but I don't believe that they should have the same power, responsibility, and honor that the president has, seeing as they lost the election.
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 9:07 pm

CellR wrote: Both of the candidates that lost would help tremendously if they were on student council, but I don't believe that they should have the same power, responsibility, and honor that the president has, seeing as they lost the election.
I think this sentence would do a lot to illustrate your point that the proposed "solution" is unnecessary and unfair.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 1st, 2009, 9:21 pm

Hey wilson, want to beat me in Scrabble again or is it no fun playing with my level of competition? (I will get better if you keep playing me, so, be forewarned.)
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 1st, 2009, 9:22 pm

Did anybody notice the change?
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 1st, 2009, 9:22 pm

I promised a change and I delivered.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 9:23 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Hey wilson, want to beat me in Scrabble again or is it no fun playing with my level of competition? (I will get better if you keep playing me, so, be forewarned.)
As before, your wish is my command. Let's have at it.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 1st, 2009, 9:23 pm

Not that it's a competition or anything, but my 'Lost' blog has the most views over on DBR OTB. I just got back from Blockbuster with Season 1 Discs 3-5.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 1st, 2009, 9:24 pm

I would go watch them but I feel obliged to entertain wilson first.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 9:26 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I would go watch them but I feel obliged to entertain wilson first.
Well now you're starting to make me feel like a five year-old.
But five year-olds aren't this good at Scrabble. ;)
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 1st, 2009, 9:29 pm

I certainly didn't mean to make you feel 5! Just pretend to be Shammrog for a couple of minutes and respond to my last post the way he would.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 1st, 2009, 9:30 pm

Oh, and wilson, I'm going to let you go first in Scrabble because, not boding well for this game, but I've got nothing better that a 2-letter word to start.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 9:32 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I certainly didn't mean to make you feel 5! Just pretend to be Shammrog for a couple of minutes and respond to my last post the way he would.
Hah! Well played. But I'll continue to leave that sort of low-mindedness to Shamm. ;)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 9:46 pm

wilson wrote:Well, the ECU Pirates (my horse in the NCAA baseball race, now that Duke's season is over) are trying to take a wild one. They are the first-round host, but they lost 12-2 in their first game against regional #2 seed South Carolina. After working their way back to the finals via the losers' bracket, they took an 8-1 lead against South Carolina yesterday before hanging on for an 8-6 victory. Tonight, in the final game, they fell behind 6-0 after 3 innings, but now in the bottom of the 7th, the score stands at 7-6, ECU batting with 2 on and 2 out.
Well, wow. The Pirates gave up another 2 runs in the top of the 8th to fall behind 9-6, and I figured that in typical ECU fashion, they'd squandered yet another athletic opportunity.
But not so fast, my friend. The first two batters in the bottom of the 9th walked, followed by a 3-run dinger. It's now knotted at 9, with nobody on and one out.
And yes, I'm aware that absolutely nobody else around here cares about this.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 1st, 2009, 9:48 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:Well, the ECU Pirates (my horse in the NCAA baseball race, now that Duke's season is over) are trying to take a wild one. They are the first-round host, but they lost 12-2 in their first game against regional #2 seed South Carolina. After working their way back to the finals via the losers' bracket, they took an 8-1 lead against South Carolina yesterday before hanging on for an 8-6 victory. Tonight, in the final game, they fell behind 6-0 after 3 innings, but now in the bottom of the 7th, the score stands at 7-6, ECU batting with 2 on and 2 out.
Well, wow. The Pirates gave up another 2 runs in the top of the 8th to fall behind 9-6, and I figured that in typical ECU fashion, they'd squandered yet another athletic opportunity.
But not so fast, my friend. The first two batters in the bottom of the 9th walked, followed by a 3-run dinger. It's now knotted at 9, with nobody on and one out.
Awww, I care.

Well no, not really. Just didn't want you to feel all alone.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 9:52 pm

Sue71 wrote:
wilson wrote:
Awww, I care.

Well no, not really. Just didn't want you to feel all alone.
Bullshit. You're just drafting off of my posts. I see right through you.