Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 1st, 2010, 11:28 pm

devildeac wrote: Ymm, Beer thread post #2000 respectfully submitted by devildeac :D
A toast to you and the other Ymm, Beer participants....cheers! :beer:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 2nd, 2010, 11:39 am

Who's gonna start the next 1000?

Paging bluebeer.
Paging rmd

:D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » July 3rd, 2010, 7:11 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: Ymm, Beer thread post #2000 respectfully submitted by devildeac :D
A toast to you and the other Ymm, Beer participants....cheers! :beer:
Cheers to you as well..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 3rd, 2010, 7:13 pm

devildeac wrote:Who's gonna start the next 1000?

Paging bluebeer.
Paging rmd

:D
I have something new lined up for tonight..Ommegang Zuur-a flemish sour brown ale..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 4th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Got another 6er today of the Highlands Brewing Company Seven Sisters Abbey Ale. $1.99. Cheaper than budlite :)) =)) . And more flavor, too :D . May have been the last one they had at Total Wine.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 4th, 2010, 8:59 pm

devildeac wrote:Got another 6er today of the Highlands Brewing Company Seven Sisters Abbey Ale. $1.99. Cheaper than budlite :)) =)) . And more flavor, too :D . May have been the last one they had at Total Wine.
Only bought one sixer? They are hiding them.
Buy 5, I'll get take them off your hands. It's an ok brew, but totally worth the 35 cents per bottle they are asking.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 4th, 2010, 9:05 pm

devildeac wrote:Got another 6er today of the Highlands Brewing Company Seven Sisters Abbey Ale. $1.99. Cheaper than budlite :)) =)) . And more flavor, too :D . May have been the last one they had at Total Wine.
I'm intrigued.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 4th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Only bought one sixer? They are hiding them.
Buy 5, I'll get take them off your hands. It's an ok brew, but totally worth the 35 cents per bottle they are asking.
Seriously. I looked at all the Highlands stuff and where they had several cases when I bought the 6er I divided with you last weekend, they had one 6 pack left today. :(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 5th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Duck-Rabbit Barleywine, 2009 edition

Sherry. This reminded me of sherry. I like this right after I buy it, but giving this bottle, my last ( :(( :(( ), about 8-9 months to mature, was worth the wait. It's still sweet and a bit syrupy with tastes of caramel with a tad of pine and bite from the hops but it really does resemble a snifter of a good after-dinner sherry. I'm gonna guess the IBU is 70-80 range and the ABV is stated at 11% and it is boozey (well, really wine-y would be a better description), but this makes a fine sipper/after-dinner drink or nightcap. If you see a leftover 6er, buy it. If you don't, wait until next fall/winter and buy two of them and hide a few to celebrate the next banner or two :D . I wonder if rmd ever enjoyed his bottle...

:whistle: :-w
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 5th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Mendocino Blonde Ale- "brewed with the finest 2-row, carapils, and wheat malts, perfectly balanced with fragrant Cascade and Saaz hops. Pale gold in color with a clean, crisp flavor, our Blonde Ale has floral and spicy hop notes with a subtle malt sweetness in the finish.
Light-bodied and refreshing, this beer works equally well on it's own or paired with seafood, spicy food, barbeque or a host of other choices. A sensational thirst quencher, our Blonde Ale will cool you off on a hot summer's day."

Sometimes the guys who brew this stuff describe their product soooo much better than amateurs like me :ymblushing: . I'll add a couple personal comments. I'm not sure it would hold up very well with spicy foods but their other choices sound fairly reasonable. Relatively inexpensive at $8 for the 6er. I'd guess the IBU to be 20-30 and the ABV to be about 5%, perfect for a session tonight with an Abbey Ale :D .
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 6th, 2010, 10:07 pm

This Friday--during an outdoor showing of "Where the Wild Things Are"--I'll be cracking open a pair of 2009 Deschutes Reserve beers. The first is the Mirror Mirror Oak Aged Barleywine and the second Black Butte Imperial Porter. Will post thoughts on both over the weekend. I may also open something from the 2008 Avery Beast series, depending on how the evening goes :D
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 6th, 2010, 11:09 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:This Friday--during an outdoor showing of "Where the Wild Things Are"--I'll be cracking open a pair of 2009 Deschutes Reserve beers. The first is the Mirror Mirror Oak Aged Barleywine and the second Black Butte Imperial Porter. Will post thoughts on both over the weekend. I may also open something from the 2008 Avery Beast series, depending on how the evening goes :D

Enjoy and, of course, we'll all be :-w for your reviews ;) :D =p~ .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 10th, 2010, 12:08 pm

I got a nice phone call this morning from my favorite beer shopper, who was calling to report some nice tasty sounding finds at a great price. DD will be able to taste before I will since I've got to wait until we meet again, but I'm looking forward to early reviews. From what I recall there are two porters (one smoked) and an oaked barleywine, which sounds really tasty. I believe he said the three were from Full Sail.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 1:41 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I got a nice phone call this morning from my favorite beer shopper, who was calling to report some nice tasty sounding finds at a great price. DD will be able to taste before I will since I've got to wait until we meet again, but I'm looking forward to early reviews. From what I recall there are two porters (one smoked) and an oaked barleywine, which sounds really tasty. I believe he said the three were from Full Sail.
Nope, Clipper City Brewing. Very little Full Sail stuff makes it to the east coast :( .

1.http://www.hsbeer.com/below-decks-barre ... barleywine
2.http://www.hsbeer.com/letter-marque-hop-rye-porter
3.http://www.hsbeer.com/smoke-water-imper ... ked-porter

Two of each for you. The barleywine is the bourbon barrel aged, not the cabernet. It was also $7.50/bomber and the other two were $5.50 each. I have one of each for myself so your portion should be safe (I hope ;) ) until we get back to the coast later this month. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 1:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I got a nice phone call this morning from my favorite beer shopper, who was calling to report some nice tasty sounding finds at a great price. DD will be able to taste before I will since I've got to wait until we meet again, but I'm looking forward to early reviews. From what I recall there are two porters (one smoked) and an oaked barleywine, which sounds really tasty. I believe he said the three were from Full Sail.
Also have a corked and caged 750 ml bottle of another Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary series which is an imperial helles bock. =p~
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 10th, 2010, 1:49 pm

devildeac wrote: Nope, Clipper City Brewing. Very little Full Sail stuff makes it to the east coast :( .
D
I knew it was some mariner related name...I was thinking Clipper City, Full Sail and Heavy Seas. I hadn't had all of my coffee yet!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 2:04 pm

devildeac wrote: Nope, Clipper City Brewing. Very little Full Sail stuff makes it to the east coast :( .
D
I knew it was some mariner related name...I was thinking Clipper City, Full Sail and Heavy Seas. I hadn't had all of my coffee yet!
Maybe one of your fall brewings should be a coffee stout. That way you could kill two (or more) organs with one brew. 8-|
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 3:55 pm

There's one of these in your future:

http://www.sierra30.com/#/charlie-fred-and-ken-s-ale

Mine, too =p~ ;) :D .
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 10th, 2010, 5:16 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I got a nice phone call this morning from my favorite beer shopper, who was calling to report some nice tasty sounding finds at a great price.
Funny, I got a similar guy who calls me to talk about pastrami, pizza and cheese steaks! :D B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 10th, 2010, 9:05 pm

devildeac wrote:
Nope, Clipper City Brewing. Very little Full Sail stuff makes it to the east coast :( .

1.http://www.hsbeer.com/below-decks-barre ... barleywine
2.http://www.hsbeer.com/letter-marque-hop-rye-porter
3.http://www.hsbeer.com/smoke-water-imper ... ked-porter

Two of each for you. The barleywine is the bourbon barrel aged, not the cabernet. It was also $7.50/bomber and the other two were $5.50 each. I have one of each for myself so your portion should be safe (I hope ;) ) until we get back to the coast later this month. :D
Nice finds..I've had the letter of marque but haven't seen (or even heard whispers of the other 2) up here. I'd love to find the bourbon barrel aged bw. That's the perfect style for me..