Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Moral Support Needed

Post by TillyGalore » August 21st, 2009, 10:42 am

Found one!

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/12week.html

I also found some great info at prevention.com, http://www.prevention.com/cda/categoryp ... ry=walking.

As long as it doesn't rain tonight, I'll go out walking.

Figured we'd follow the same program together, meaning if you walk, I walk on the same day.

Oh, don't forget to stretch. There is information in both the links about stretching.
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 21st, 2009, 10:47 am

Oh, I forgot to mention.

You really should get a good pair of sneakers for walking. I went to a store in Durham that specifically caters to walkers/runners/athletes. I highly recommend that you find a similar store as they will look at your feet, see how you walk, and recommend shoes that will support you in the way your feet need to be supported. Greybeard will attest to this I'm sure.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 21st, 2009, 10:51 am

TillyGalore wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention.

You really should get a good pair of sneakers for walking. I went to a store in Durham that specifically caters to walkers/runners/athletes. I highly recommend that you find a similar store as they will look at your feet, see how you walk, and recommend shoes that will support you in the way your feet need to be supported. Greybeard will attest to this I'm sure.
Yeah. Nothing worse than shin splints. Well, that's not true, but they are pretty bad!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 21st, 2009, 10:54 am

TillyGalore wrote: You really should get a good pair of sneakers for walking. I went to a store in Durham that specifically caters to walkers/runners/athletes. I highly recommend that you find a similar store as they will look at your feet, see how you walk, and recommend shoes that will support you in the way your feet need to be supported. Greybeard will attest to this I'm sure.
And you can spend some of your erstwhile cigarette money on them! :D
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 21st, 2009, 10:57 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Yeah. Nothing worse than shin splints. Well, that's not true, but they are pretty bad!
I hate shin splints. :-q :-q

I stretch the hell out of my calf muscles to help prevent shin splints.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 21st, 2009, 10:58 am

wilson wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: You really should get a good pair of sneakers for walking. I went to a store in Durham that specifically caters to walkers/runners/athletes. I highly recommend that you find a similar store as they will look at your feet, see how you walk, and recommend shoes that will support you in the way your feet need to be supported. Greybeard will attest to this I'm sure.
Good point! I spent just under $100 for my shoes. They aren't cheap, but they are so worth it!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 21st, 2009, 11:02 am

The shoes I wear to run agility are essentially high end cross trainers. They fit very well and provide excellent shock absorption - I'm hoping they will do for now - the difference between them and regular 'walking' shoes is the tread - mine have a fair amount of tread on the bottom since we run on packed dirt much of the time.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 21st, 2009, 11:08 am

Hi windsor,

Glad to hear that things are going well for you and that you're noticing the immediate benefits. This may sound weird, but one of the things I enjoy is that I sometimes I still want a cigarette, but I have complete control over the craving and am able to shut it down. That is power and it is awesome! I hope you enjoying this feeling as well and not forgetting to pat yourself on the back.

Kick.
Ass!
:ymhug: \:D/ \:D/ :-bd :o3
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 4:45 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
wilson wrote:
Good point! I spent just under $100 for my shoes. They aren't cheap, but they are so worth it!
Agreed. A good pair of walking or running shoes are most certainly worth the money spent on them and when they begin to wear at the "strike points" (outside edge of the foot and the rear end [sorry, just can't write h33ls, but they are synonymous with the "back end" :)) :)) ] of the shoe), it's time to replace them.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 21st, 2009, 5:07 pm

I noticed what you were writing about feeling better and the sense of smell coming back, etc. I read an article back as a BME about how amazingly quickly the lungs heal when one quits smoking. Within a couple months, something like 80% of the lung tissue has regenerated.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 24th, 2009, 6:21 am

Morning windsor! :-bd

How did you survive the weekend? You're now closing in on two weeks. \:D/

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 24th, 2009, 8:18 am

Lavabe wrote:Morning windsor! :-bd

Cheers,
Lavabe
Made it through the weekend....I slept an awful lot - I tend to be very tired lately (gee - could it be no stimulants in the blood stream :o )

I did go out and walk a little over a mile on Sunday with Wizard the Terv - he was happy to get out...wanted to go Saturday as well but it rained on and off all day.

Counting down to two weeks!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 24th, 2009, 8:28 am

windsor wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Morning windsor! :-bd

Cheers,
Lavabe
Made it through the weekend....I slept an awful lot - I tend to be very tired lately (gee - could it be no stimulants in the blood stream :o )

I did go out and walk a little over a mile on Sunday with Wizard the Terv - he was happy to get out...wanted to go Saturday as well but it rained on and off all day.

Counting down to two weeks!
Great job, Windsor! Vibes for the next week! ^:)^ ^:)^ :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 24th, 2009, 8:38 am

Great job! Quit Windsor, quit! Quit Windsor, quit! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 24th, 2009, 9:07 am

windsor wrote: Counting down to two weeks!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: (*) (*)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 24th, 2009, 9:17 am

Still vibing in Kansas. Great job, Windsor!
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 26th, 2009, 6:50 am

WEEK THREE BEGINS!!! :o3 :o3 :o3

Let's go Windsor!
Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap!
Let's go Windsor!
Let's go Windsor!

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 26th, 2009, 7:39 am

Three weeks is a great accomplishment, Windsor. Congratulations! Keep up the good work! :ymparty:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 26th, 2009, 9:16 am

Way to go, Windsor. Keep it up. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 26th, 2009, 10:06 am

Feeling a little better every day - was back at the dr for a follow up (review blood work et al) - my chest x-rays are clean, my lungs sound better already. Woo Hoo. Oh, and my cholesterol is still obscenely low. :ymparty: :ymparty:

As long as I stay on the no smoking bus I appear to have dodge a bullet and NOT done any potentially fatal damage.

Some bone loss (no shock there - 50, small boned, lactose intolerant smoker) drug for that - stay on chantix - stay off cigarettes - live to be a 100. :D