Olympic Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Olympic Thread

Post by Lavabe » August 12th, 2012, 10:29 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:We will Rock You! Excellent!
Like the SPAMALOT/ELO/BOLLYWOOD bit.
Waiting for the Who.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 12th, 2012, 10:55 pm

I think the cauldron stole the show - in both the opening and closing ceremonies. Whoever came up with the design is a genius in my mind.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 13th, 2012, 8:09 am

Rio's 'Intro' was lame. They could have saved a lot of time and money and just sent a video of the Sambadrome with simple words. "We are Rio, This is CARNIVAL...any questions?"
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 13th, 2012, 11:29 am

I fell asleep repeatedly during the closing ceremonies. But I did get to see the cauldron parts. I agree with DinK, whoever came up with the idea of that particular cauldron was genius.
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 13th, 2012, 2:43 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I think the cauldron stole the show - in both the opening and closing ceremonies. Whoever came up with the design is a genius in my mind.

I loved the cauldron concept. I hated that it sat inside the stadium and couldn't be seen from outside, for me that made it a total fail.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 13th, 2012, 8:40 pm

I too ditto Dink :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 13th, 2012, 8:58 pm

windsor wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I think the cauldron stole the show - in both the opening and closing ceremonies. Whoever came up with the design is a genius in my mind.

I loved the cauldron concept. I hated that it sat inside the stadium and couldn't be seen from outside, for me that made it a total fail.
I like the petal from each country, but I agree with you that I wish the flame could be seen from multiple venues. Maybe not a total fail, but yeah, a major demerit.
Like having the Spice Girls on stage. ;)
Total fail was the fact that they couldn't get Andrew Ridgeley to perform with George Michael.
:))
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 14th, 2012, 9:10 am

I watched on Wral.com streaming live yesterday, Nick and Abby at RDU airport, talking about their Olympic medals and competing in the Games, and going back to School at Duke this Fall. Coach K then joined them and spoke for a few minutes. Total Class!!! **== **== **== **== **==
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 24th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Here is a picture that I took of Eleanor, Lauren and Tammy last night. (Grandmother, Olympian, and Mother)

Eleanor and I sang in choir together for a few years. All three of these ladies go to my church. We had an ice cream social at church last night to honor Lauren. She talked to the group, signed autographs and posed for pictures.

One picture that I wish I had gotten--and it may appear on my friend's FB page in a day or two, and if it does, I'll share it here--is of a little girl who brought her swimming trophy to show to Lauren. Lauren reacted as if the little girl were sharing her very own gold medal with Lauren. What a precious moment I witnessed from our gracious Olympic champion!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 24th, 2012, 4:15 pm

:text-goodpost:

Thank you for sharing your pic, Cathy. So cool to see 3 generations in that photo.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 24th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Great pix Cathy! Love it when good people are recognized for doing good things! :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 25th, 2012, 9:01 am

That photo looks like a perfect example of an aging comparison of one person, if you separate the 3 faces.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 25th, 2012, 10:31 am

captmojo wrote:That photo looks like a perfect example of an aging comparison of one person, if you separate the 3 faces.
It does, doesn't it?

It doesn't show up as well in the photo as it does in real life, but their smiles look the same. Strong genes in there. Eleanor, Tammy and Lauren are three very strong and beautiful women.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 30th, 2012, 2:04 pm

The often forgotten paralympics started yesterday. Here are some highlights of the opening ceremony, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... emony.html.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 31st, 2012, 9:45 am

TillyGalore wrote:The often forgotten paralympics started yesterday. Here are some highlights of the opening ceremony, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... emony.html.

AWESOME! :)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 31st, 2012, 12:50 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:The often forgotten paralympics started yesterday. Here are some highlights of the opening ceremony, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... emony.html.

I wish the US TV stations, or at least one,would show the paralympic games. I would love to watch!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » September 1st, 2012, 9:30 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
IowaDevil wrote:

I wish the US TV stations, or at least one,would show the paralympic games. I would love to watch!
Me too!