Where did Ya Go Today (or Yesterday)?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Where did Ya Go Today (or Yesterday)?

Post by lawgrad91 » October 15th, 2011, 10:58 am

I got a blurry picture of Native from my seats in Section 6. :duke: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 15th, 2011, 11:51 am

lawgrad91 wrote:I got a blurry picture of Native from my seats in Section 6. :duke: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Alcohol use causes me to close one eye in order to eliminate double-vision. :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 15th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Native!!! Way to go. :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 15th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Yesterday, I went to Kenansville. We went to the James Keanan HS football game. They won 43 to 6. Max is on the JV team but is dressing out with varsity. He wasn't put in the game. No surprise there. Max is having a great freshman year. I came home this morning, then went to our game. :( I was so hoping we would win. :ymsigh:
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » October 15th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Where did I go? Three @$@# trips to the @$#@# auto parts store today, that's where.

In the spring, we upgraded the Turkmobile to a Toyota Sienna, and today I wanted to change the oil. It was my first encounter with an oil filter that you have to take apart and rebuild. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed, and now it's a much messier job. There was nothing wrong with the disposable screw-off / screw-on filter design that was more or less standard for decades.

But now I have it figured out, so next time I'll get it right on the first try... NO, I WILL NEVER PAY ANYONE TO CHANGE MY OIL... So take that, all you moneygrubbing automotive conglomerates...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 16th, 2011, 6:03 am

My Audi has a 10,000 mile cycle for oil changes. I haven't changed the oil myself as they are handling it for me until the 40,000 mile mark. After that point, then I'll start considering doing it myself. Now, as far as the Firebird, it's about to get its first oil change at 400 miles. That one will be done by the shop that rebuilt it free of charge.

So, not a whole lot of chance to save money right now doing the work myself.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 16th, 2011, 11:13 am

Turk wrote:Where did I go? Three @$@# trips to the @$#@# auto parts store today, that's where.

In the spring, we upgraded the Turkmobile to a Toyota Sienna, and today I wanted to change the oil. It was my first encounter with an oil filter that you have to take apart and rebuild. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed, and now it's a much messier job. There was nothing wrong with the disposable screw-off / screw-on filter design that was more or less standard for decades.

But now I have it figured out, so next time I'll get it right on the first try... NO, I WILL NEVER PAY ANYONE TO CHANGE MY OIL... So take that, all you moneygrubbing automotive conglomerates...
My daughter takes her 2007 Sienna to the Toyota dealer. It's worth the ~$30 they charge to get it done right and to get knowing eyes on the rest of the vehicle. We have found the Toyota dealerships in NC we've dealt with to be reasonably priced and not (overly) aggressive in suggesting work that doesn't need to be done.

When I was in school I changed the oil in my 1972 GTO once. I took it up onto the IM field, what is now the Whitford drive parking lot. Found a spot with a bit of a ditch and parked over it, put the collection pan into the ditch and drained the oil into it and got the HOT oil filter off and put that into the pan also. Put the new oil filter on and 5 quarts of Penzoil 10w-40 in, and the entire process cost me ~ $8, $5 for the oil and $3 for the Fram filter. But now I had to dispose of the oil... I think I put it in a big trash bag and left it in a trash barrel up on the field, but honestly, I don't remember. Of course, the Shell station I had been using down at Northgate Mall would do it for me using my oil for about $3 labor and that's how I did it thereafter. Today, I'm letting the Hyundai dealer do the oil changes on both my Sonata and my wife's Elantra. They charge the same as Wal-Mart does and I trust their work a whole lot more...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm

I stayed home and loved being here. :ymhug: Harley is happy Bud and I are here. :O3
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 16th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Church this morning, and I went for a drive this afternoon. I went to Pere Marquette State Park, just north of Grafton, IL, via the Great River Road. It's an absolutely beautiful drive. I went for a 1/2 mile hike at Pere Marquette. Would like to go back there sometime and explore a bit more.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 17th, 2011, 5:52 am

To a car show yesterday. Probably the last one of the year.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 17th, 2011, 8:16 am

I was in Efland to wake up, Smithfield Waffle House for breakfast, New Bern for dinner.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 17th, 2011, 9:24 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was in Efland to wake up, Smithfield Waffle House for breakfast, New Bern for dinner.
If you had called I might - might - have met you there. Which one? Near 70 next to Shoney's or the newer one on 70 Business? That one is a mile out of your way, but it is bigger, cleaner and much better, just so you know for next time! :D

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 17th, 2011, 9:25 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was in Efland to wake up, Smithfield Waffle House for breakfast, New Bern for dinner.
If you had called I might - might - have met you there. Which one? Near 70 next to Shoney's or the newer one on 70 Business? That one is a mile out of your way, but it is bigger, cleaner and much better, just so you know for next time! :D
Shoulda gone to Sami's for a cheesesteak or pizza for breakfast with Ozzie =)).
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 17th, 2011, 10:20 am

devildeac wrote:.
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
It was the one next to Shoney's. I would have called ahead..but it was a spur of the moment "let's eat" thing. I did make sure to point out Sami's to Julie. On the way up we stopped at the Eddie Bauer store because she loves the outlets, and told her when we do a real outlet trip we must eat there and get Ozzie to join us. (Since I haven't eaten at Sami's either!)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 17th, 2011, 1:01 pm

It was the one next to Shoney's. I would have called ahead..but it was a spur of the moment "let's eat" thing. I did make sure to point out Sami's to Julie. On the way up we stopped at the Eddie Bauer store because she loves the outlets, and told her when we do a real outlet trip we must eat there and get Ozzie to join us. (Since I haven't eaten at Sami's either!)
Sounds like a plan to me! B-)

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 17th, 2011, 4:58 pm

I was home all day. Tomorrow, I have no choice, I must go out. :(
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 17th, 2011, 6:39 pm

I went to Raleigh to deliver some fluorescent light bulbs that the State of nc bought, on bid from me, for an office. Turns out the recipient was none other than our own Duke2narow!

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 17th, 2011, 9:10 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Sounds like a plan to me! B-)
Dinner was lasagna from ... Sami's! Ymm! B-)

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 17th, 2011, 9:19 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I went to Raleigh to deliver some fluorescent light bulbs that the State of nc bought, on bid from me, for an office. Turns out the recipient was none other than our own Duke2narow!
How cool!!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 17th, 2011, 9:52 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I went to Raleigh to deliver some fluorescent light bulbs that the State of nc bought, on bid from me, for an office. Turns out the recipient was none other than our own Duke2narow!
Neat. I bet you both were surprised.