Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: The Official "WWWD?" Thread

Post by windsor » January 30th, 2012, 11:17 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:This person is a long-term collaborator of PHB. I'm confident that the work will stay here. That's okay; there will be more than enough work to keep me busy at my new position.
Stall....say nothing...but do reach out personally after you've resigned and explain the delay....never hurts to keep those bridges intact!
Just got another message from the collaborator. The grant goes out on Friday and she needs an answer. Submitting the grant is no guarantee that it will be funded, but I would still feel badly about saying I'll do it when I will probably not be around. What should I do?
Not fully understanding how these things work...what is the impact to the collborator if you say 'yes', she gets the grant and you are no longer there?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 30th, 2012, 11:23 am

windsor wrote:Not fully understanding how these things work...what is the impact to the collborator if you say 'yes', she gets the grant and you are no longer there?
She replaces me with someone else, probably from our lab (NuBarbie, who is not qualified? Someone else?)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 30th, 2012, 11:33 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:This person is a long-term collaborator of PHB. I'm confident that the work will stay here. That's okay; there will be more than enough work to keep me busy at my new position.
Stall....say nothing...but do reach out personally after you've resigned and explain the delay....never hurts to keep those bridges intact!
Just got another message from the collaborator. The grant goes out on Friday and she needs an answer. Submitting the grant is no guarantee that it will be funded, but I would still feel badly about saying I'll do it when I will probably not be around. What should I do?
Here's my analogy. You're the General Manager, and you're working on a trade involving your best player. The coach is making game plans and strategies for the next game. You, as GM, don't want the coach to know he may be losing his best player via trade, so you tell him nothing and let him go on with his plans. If the player got hurt and couldn't play, the coach would adapt to the personnel he has available. If the trade happens, he'll do the same, just for a different reason.

Say yes, and don't feel badly for the collaborator when her plans have to change. You can't tell her now so do what's best for you. It's called looking out for #1, and you are #1.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 30th, 2012, 12:32 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Just got another message from the collaborator. The grant goes out on Friday and she needs an answer. Submitting the grant is no guarantee that it will be funded, but I would still feel badly about saying I'll do it when I will probably not be around. What should I do?
Here's my analogy. You're the General Manager, and you're working on a trade involving your best player. The coach is making game plans and strategies for the next game. You, as GM, don't want the coach to know he may be losing his best player via trade, so you tell him nothing and let him go on with his plans. If the player got hurt and couldn't play, the coach would adapt to the personnel he has available. If the trade happens, he'll do the same, just for a different reason.

Say yes, and don't feel badly for the collaborator when her plans have to change. You can't tell her now so do what's best for you. It's called looking out for #1, and you are #1.

If it doesn't cause her grant to crash and burn, say yes. In the intrerest of not burning bridges, when you accept the offer for the new job, and immediately after you tell PHB to blow it out his ass...contact her and let her know. Aplogize for saying 'yes' when you had interviewed elsewhere but explain that nothing was definite and you would have loved to have worked with her. Let her know you'd jump at the chance to collaberate with her on something else. Seriously. No point in burning a bridge or ticking someone off when there is no need to do so.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 30th, 2012, 12:49 pm

windsor wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Just got another message from the collaborator. The grant goes out on Friday and she needs an answer. Submitting the grant is no guarantee that it will be funded, but I would still feel badly about saying I'll do it when I will probably not be around. What should I do?

If it doesn't cause her grant to crash and burn, say yes. In the intrerest of not burning bridges, when you accept the offer for the new job, and immediately after you tell PHB to blow it out his ass...contact her and let her know. Aplogize for saying 'yes' when you had interviewed elsewhere but explain that nothing was definite and you would have loved to have worked with her. Let her know you'd jump at the chance to collaberate with her on something else. Seriously. No point in burning a bridge or ticking someone off when there is no need to do so.
Windsor is right on the money. The truth is you never know when a sort of positive connection to even a nasty former co-worker or boss might be very handy.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 30th, 2012, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the helpful advice, all! I gave her a "yes" and then helped her track PHB's whereabouts so she could call him when he was in his office! :ymdevil:

After going through all of this, I realized that I should've gone with some earlier windsor advice: so nice of you to ask me, but you really need to ask PHB. It should be his call to determine how I spend my time, right?

(As an aside, I currently spend 99% of my time doing data analysis for the project that is allegedly NuBarbie's. Neither she nor anyone currently in the lab, including PHB, knows how to do this particular type of analysis. That's going to make "Take This Job and Shove It" particularly fun. :Angry Orc: )
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 31st, 2012, 10:40 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Thanks for the helpful advice, all! I gave her a "yes" and then helped her track PHB's whereabouts so she could call him when he was in his office! :ymdevil:

After going through all of this, I realized that I should've gone with some earlier windsor advice: so nice of you to ask me, but you really need to ask PHB. It should be his call to determine how I spend my time, right?

(As an aside, I currently spend 99% of my time doing data analysis for the project that is allegedly NuBarbie's. Neither she nor anyone currently in the lab, including PHB, knows how to do this particular type of analysis. That's going to make "Take This Job and Shove It" particularly fun. :Angry Orc: )

Well Played! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

I sure hope there is news on the NuJob front very soon. I do so look forward to the "Take This Job and Shove It" event play by play!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 31st, 2012, 6:28 pm

Today was an interesting day. My old buddy Pushy PI showed up today for his meeting with PHB and was quite friendly/chatty. Cynics that we are, our suspicion is that we're about to get hit with some sort of ridiculous task.

Now for the really interesting sequence of events. PHB assigned me yet another task associated with NuBarbie's presentation at the big professional meeting. Shortly after, he came in with a couple of papers associated with said task, so I'd have some perspective of the importance of what I was doing. (As an aside, I had already read both in preparation for my talk at UTMB, not that I said anything about that to PHB.) He then asked me if I wanted to prepare an abstract on one of my ongoing collaborations to present at the big professional meeting. You may recall that PHB told me last year that there would not be travel funds for me, so needless to say I was quite surprised. I'm already on one abstract (pharmaceutical company collaborator), and PHB suggested a second one that would actually make a nice story. Apparently PHB has forgotten cutting me off from travel funds! =))

I've thought about this one, and I'm going to go ahead and prepare the abstract - assuming that UTMB will have travel money for me. I cannot see any reason why I shouldn't present work that I performed here even though I'll be somewhere else (hopefully). What do the rest of you think? Is this sneaky and underhanded, or is it a reasonable thing to do?
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 31st, 2012, 7:33 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: I've thought about this one, and I'm going to go ahead and prepare the abstract - assuming that UTMB will have travel money for me. I cannot see any reason why I shouldn't present work that I performed here even though I'll be somewhere else (hopefully). What do the rest of you think? Is this sneaky and underhanded, or is it a reasonable thing to do?
Doesn't the work you do there belong to them? I think you're crossing a line that you don't want to cross. Now if after you leave and want to do a joint abstract, and they agree to it, that's another story.

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 31st, 2012, 7:40 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: I've thought about this one, and I'm going to go ahead and prepare the abstract - assuming that UTMB will have travel money for me. I cannot see any reason why I shouldn't present work that I performed here even though I'll be somewhere else (hopefully). What do the rest of you think? Is this sneaky and underhanded, or is it a reasonable thing to do?
Doesn't the work you do there belong to them? I think you're crossing a line that you don't want to cross. Now if after you leave and want to do a joint abstract, and they agree to it, that's another story.
I think I need to clarify: everyone associated with the project would be coauthors on the poster. That includes PHB. He would be getting exposure, too.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 1st, 2012, 7:41 am

Although all signs point to an a new job coming your way soon - well sometimes :poo: happens. You should proceed as though you will continue to be employed there.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 1st, 2012, 6:27 pm

windsor wrote:Although all signs point to an a new job coming your way soon - well sometimes :poo: happens. You should proceed as though you will continue to be employed there.
I e-mailed my future boss at UTMB. They will, in fact, provide travel money for me to attend the conference and would be tickled pink if I presented something. My professional visibility is advantageous for them.

I also found out that intent to hire paperwork should clear HR any day now. I could very well be saying, "Can you proofread this abstract for me? Oh, and by the way, I have a new job and will be leaving in two weeks." :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 1st, 2012, 9:40 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: I also found out that intent to hire paperwork should clear HR any day now. I could very well be saying, "Can you proofread this abstract for me? Oh, and by the way, I have a new job and will be leaving in two weeks." :ymdevil:
New job vibing hard for you, girl! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 2nd, 2012, 8:08 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:Although all signs point to an a new job coming your way soon - well sometimes :poo: happens. You should proceed as though you will continue to be employed there.
I e-mailed my future boss at UTMB. They will, in fact, provide travel money for me to attend the conference and would be tickled pink if I presented something. My professional visibility is advantageous for them.

I also found out that intent to hire paperwork should clear HR any day now. I could very well be saying, "Can you proofread this abstract for me? Oh, and by the way, I have a new job and will be leaving in two weeks." :ymdevil:
There would be delicous irony in that..
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Vibes for the paperwork to get through HR so you can :greetings-wavegreen: :greetings-wavegreen: :greetings-wavegreen:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 2nd, 2012, 9:53 am

It sounds like the end of your present job is very near. WOWO!!!! :)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 3rd, 2012, 9:45 am

windsor wrote:Vibes for the paperwork to get through HR so you can :greetings-wavegreen: :greetings-wavegreen: :greetings-wavegreen:
Those are some powerful vibes, windsor.
^:)^
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 3rd, 2012, 6:40 pm

Lavabe wrote:
windsor wrote:Vibes for the paperwork to get through HR so you can :greetings-wavegreen: :greetings-wavegreen: :greetings-wavegreen:
Those are some powerful vibes, windsor.
^:)^
Yes, indeed, they are. ^:)^
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 24th, 2012, 5:36 pm

I have a new dilemma that should be fun for all. Remember the Asshat Doctors that live across the hall from me? The ones that consider themselves above menial tasks like giving their car information to the office so it can be entered into the records? Well, it appears that they also consider themselves above the menial task of hauling their trash down to the dumpster. They pile it up outside their apartment door, and I'm getting sick of looking at it. I've seriously considered leaving them a nice note. It's been there since yesterday. Or maybe I should just pile MY trash outside their door as well.

I've also noticed that there are two different vehicles that park in the spot that they raised such a fuss about - which leads me to believe that they actually are paying for one space and using two. Remember, they did refuse to give their car information to the office. Dare me to do a bit of investigating and report their asses? :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 24th, 2012, 5:40 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I have a new dilemma that should be fun for all. Remember the Asshat Doctors that live across the hall from me? The ones that consider themselves above menial tasks like giving their car information to the office so it can be entered into the records? Well, it appears that they also consider themselves above the menial task of hauling their trash down to the dumpster. They pile it up outside their apartment door, and I'm getting sick of looking at it. I've seriously considered leaving them a nice note. It's been there since yesterday. Or maybe I should just pile MY trash outside their door as well.

I've also noticed that there are two different vehicles that park in the spot that they raised such a fuss about - which leads me to believe that they actually are paying for one space and using two. Remember, they did refuse to give their car information to the office. Dare me to do a bit of investigating and report their asses? :ymdevil:
I'd report both situations (anonymously) to the office and see if they do anything about it. If that fails to get the desired results, I'd sic EarlJam on them. B-) :))

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 24th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Or I'd say to them "I noticed your maid failed to take your trash to the dumpster. You getter speak to her about that ..."