an interesting dilemma...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: an interesting dilemma...

Post by captmojo » June 13th, 2011, 5:57 pm

Good! You don't want to be her menial servant.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 13th, 2011, 6:04 pm

captmojo wrote:Good! You don't want to be her menial servant.
Exactly! Awful person that I am, I've been laughing to myself at some of the completely idiotic questions she's been asking.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 13th, 2011, 6:08 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Awful person that I am, I've been laughing to myself at some of the completely idiotic questions she's been asking.
That's the right attitude! You're not an awful person. Keep that head held HIGH! :-BD
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 13th, 2011, 9:33 pm

captmojo wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Awful person that I am, I've been laughing to myself at some of the completely idiotic questions she's been asking.
That's the right attitude! You're not an awful person. Keep that head held HIGH! :-BD
:text-yeahthat: What the good Capt said! You are not an awful person, you are a wonderful person stuck in an awful situation. If you can see a little humor in it, it will help you retain your sanity.
:duke: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 13th, 2011, 10:06 pm

I used to take real comfort in knowing that smarter people than I were running things. It was one of the most sobering moments of my life when I learned that wasn't necessarily true. This ship of fools you are sailing with really drives the point home.

Oh, hurry and get out of there before you go nutty! 8-}
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 13th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I used to take real comfort in knowing that smarter people than I were running things. It was one of the most sobering moments of my life when I learned that wasn't necessarily true. This ship of fools you are sailing with really drives the point home.

Oh, hurry and get out of there before you go nutty! 8-}
Love, Ima
Sadly, Ima, the problem here is one of ethics more than smarts (well, okay, except for The Minion 8-}). They're smart enough to figure out how to lie in order to get the answer they want. In case I haven't mentioned it before, it's extremely difficult to have a conversation about ethics with an unethical person.

Hopefully a new job will come through soon. I am looking forward to telling my boss that I'm leaving. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 13th, 2011, 11:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Hopefully a new job will come through soon. I am looking forward to telling my boss that I'm leaving. :ymdevil:
I'll bet you are! And we're all rooting for you too, just in case you couldn't tell ;) :ymhug:

:ymhug:

When you do tell you boss goodbye, tell him "F O and D" from me. I know you'd never tell him that, so say it's from me! Oh, and to the PI and minion too!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 14th, 2011, 9:29 am

Yep, he ignored it. Do I get a free concrete with that, arkie? ;)

I believe he'll probably make a slight mention in passing to the others, and that will be that. They'll continue on with it as if you didn't exist. As you've suggested, the Minion and PushyPI are long since past dealing with you.

Looks like you'll need to set up your next meeting with the academic integrity folks.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 14th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Lavabe wrote:Yep, he ignored it. Do I get a free concrete with that, arkie? ;)

I believe he'll probably make a slight mention in passing to the others, and that will be that. They'll continue on with it as if you didn't exist. As you've suggested, the Minion and PushyPI are long since past dealing with you.

Looks like you'll need to set up your next meeting with the academic integrity folks.
What kind of concrete do you want, Lavabe?

I think I did my part here. If I knew this information and didn't pass it along, I'd be in the wrong. If they have the information and ignore it, they're in the wrong. I have documented that I gave them the information, and I have said documentation for the academic integrity office. Should this paper be accepted for publication, and should the version that's published be the same as the one that I had my name removed from, I am prepared.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 15th, 2011, 11:56 am

ArkieDukie wrote:

I think I did my part here. If I knew this information and didn't pass it along, I'd be in the wrong. If they have the information and ignore it, they're in the wrong. I have documented that I gave them the information, and I have said documentation for the academic integrity office. Should this paper be accepted for publication, and should the version that's published be the same as the one that I had my name removed from, I am prepared.
You definitely did your part, and you'll be able to sleep at night. :-BD
Hmm... do they still have Heath Bar Concrete? What seasonal concrete do they have now? :drool:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 15th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

You definitely did your part, and you'll be able to sleep at night. :-BD
Hmm... do they still have Heath Bar Concrete? What seasonal concrete do they have now? :drool:
Not sure what the seasonal offering is (strawberry shortcake?), but I had a mocha Heath bar crunch last time I was there. Pretty darn good. :drool:
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 15th, 2011, 9:00 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Not sure what the seasonal offering is (strawberry shortcake?), but I had a mocha Heath bar crunch last time I was there. Pretty darn good. :drool:
Mocha Heath Bar Crunch... OMG!! =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 17th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Well, in case I had any doubt about my status in the lab, I found out tonight that my boss is having a 4th of July shindig and invited at least one person in the lab. I wasn't invited. I'm going to be out of town on the 4th, but he didn't know that. Isn't it poor form for the boss to selectively invite employees to a party that he's having, assuming that you have less than 10 people working for you?
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 17th, 2011, 10:57 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Well, in case I had any doubt about my status in the lab, I found out tonight that my boss is having a 4th of July shindig and invited at least one person in the lab. I wasn't invited. I'm going to be out of town on the 4th, but he didn't know that. Isn't it poor form for the boss to selectively invite employees to a party that he's having, assuming that you have less than 10 people working for you?
It's very poor form to invite one person from work to a party, without opening the invitations to everyone in the office, unless the office is so large that it becomes unmanageable (and ten is not unmanageable). He should have invited no one, or everyone. X(

Sounds like the PHB. When I turned 40, there were 3 birthdays in our office that month. The other two office staffers (the victim-witness coordinator and "operations manager" -fancy title for head secretary) each got a liter bottle of Grey Goose. He didn't even bother to wish me happy birthday. There are 11 people in my office.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 24th, 2011, 6:27 pm

I was not told this directly, but I overheard my boss and Pushy PI talking. The manuscript was rejected! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :ymdevil: :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » June 24th, 2011, 8:06 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I was not told this directly, but I overheard my boss and Pushy PI talking. The manuscript was rejected! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :ymdevil: :9f:
:)) =)) :)) =)) :ymparty: :ymapplause: 8-}
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 24th, 2011, 8:14 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I was not told this directly, but I overheard my boss and Pushy PI talking. The manuscript was rejected! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :ymdevil: :9f:
That's the best news I've had all day. =)) =)) =)) :))
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 24th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Outfriggingstanding! :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:

Please give all three my best! ;)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 24th, 2011, 10:01 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Well, in case I had any doubt about my status in the lab, I found out tonight that my boss is having a 4th of July shindig and invited at least one person in the lab. I wasn't invited. I'm going to be out of town on the 4th, but he didn't know that. Isn't it poor form for the boss to selectively invite employees to a party that he's having, assuming that you have less than 10 people working for you?
It's very poor form to invite one person from work to a party, without opening the invitations to everyone in the office, unless the office is so large that it becomes unmanageable (and ten is not unmanageable). He should have invited no one, or everyone. X(

Sounds like the PHB. When I turned 40, there were 3 birthdays in our office that month. The other two office staffers (the victim-witness coordinator and "operations manager" -fancy title for head secretary) each got a liter bottle of Grey Goose. He didn't even bother to wish me happy birthday. There are 11 people in my office.
Oh, and he DID invite everyone but me. Nice, right?
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 24th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
That's the best news I've had all day. =)) =)) =)) :))
Thanks, VDB! I must admit, it made my day, too. I waited until I got home to really laugh about it, though. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein