Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by rockymtn devil » July 15th, 2009, 9:40 am

Lavabe wrote:
Note to self: DON'T EAT ADULT BARRACUDA.
Addendum to previous post: DON'T EAT ADULT BARRACUDA.
Thanks for the tip, rmd.

Not that I am going to try it, but do the means of cooking the fish and the source of the fish affect the toxicity of the adult fish?

Happy to be alive and eating YOUNG barracuda,
Lavabe
I don't know this off-hand, but according to wikipedia, ciguatoxin is very heat resistant, so cooking generally won't kill it.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 7:45 am

rockymtn devil wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Note to self: DON'T EAT ADULT BARRACUDA.
Addendum to previous post: DON'T EAT ADULT BARRACUDA.
Thanks for the tip, rmd.

Not that I am going to try it, but do the means of cooking the fish and the source of the fish affect the toxicity of the adult fish?

Happy to be alive and eating YOUNG barracuda,
Lavabe
I don't know this off-hand, but according to wikipedia, ciguatoxin is very heat resistant, so cooking generally won't kill it.
So... last night I stopped at a fishing village and talked with fishermen AND my guide, who has assisted researchers looking at ciguatoxin here in Madagascar.

I am NOT making this up... what luck!

Here's the deal: Certain regions in Madagascar are more prone to ciguatoxin than are others, and in some cases, one simply can not eat barracuda throughout the year. In other regions, it's very strictly seasonal, as the algae that carry the bacteria that get absorbed into the herbivorous fish (which get eaten by the barracuda) are present in high numbers during certain times of the year. For example, if I ate barracuda in certain regions in northwestern Madagascar, I'd be playing with fire. If I'm up near the northern tip of the island, I can eat it pretty much 9 months of the year. When preparing the barracuda, do NOT eat the head nor the skin. Those two regions seem to be where the bacteria reside. I double-checked with my guide who ate the barracuda with me. We ate an adult fish. He stated that the fish was grilled first for a long time, then boiled in coconut milk at high heat.

All I know is that it was a yummy fish.

I would think a FAT TIRE would go well with it. :ymparty:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » July 29th, 2009, 3:55 pm

What's for dinner tonight? Pan-seared tuna on a bed of arugula with a side of roasted veggie couscous and a fresh lemon vinaigrette. We got this recipe from Gordon Ramsay's F-word, but it's been modified a bit cuz we like greens.

Ingredients
Tuna steaks
1.5 tsp coriander seeds
Couscous, plain
Veggie broth
Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
Olive oil
2 leeks
1 large red pepper
1 large zucchini
1 large red onion
1 large garlic clove
2 lemons
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar

The Veggies
1. Preheat the oven to 425º
2. Slice veggies to about 3/4 of an inch thick
3. Coat with olive oil, season with salt and pepper
4. Arrange veggies in a single layer and roast in oven for about 15-20 minutes

The Vinaigrette
1. Whisk together 4 Tbsp of olive oil, 1 Tbsp of white wine vinegar, and the juice and zest from one lemon.
2. Season with salt and pepper and set it aside

The Couscous
1. Follow the instructions on the box for your servings of couscous, using diluted broth instead of water. 2 parts broth, 1 part water.
2. Set aside and prepare the tuna.
3. When tuna is done, add juice and zest of one lemon and couple spoonfuls of the vinaigrette

The Tuna
1. Lightly crush the coriander
2. Season the steaks with olive oil and crushed coriander
3. Add some oil to the pan and pan fry for 2 minutes on each side
4. Transfer to warm plate, spoon over 2 tbsp of the vinaigrette and cover

Gordon served his fish on the couscous with the veggies on the side. We'll serve our fish on a bed of arugula with a little more vinaigrette drizzled over the greens and the couscous and veggies on the side.

I'm drinking Skinny Dip while preparing dinner, but serving with a Chardonnay.
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 1st, 2009, 9:21 am

My friend Hassan Ben Hassan, the Djibouti/Arab who just opened up his restaurant here in Antsiranana, has two killer dishes for which I am going to try and get the recipes. The first is a simple Brochette de Poisson, and the second is a Roasted Poisson au Vanille. The Poisson of choice here is capitaine fish. Can we get capitaine in the US? The brochette is simple, but they are doing something with it that just makes it simple and tasty, especially when combined with a fresh pico de gallo (spelling?), or peppers, or lime. The vanilla roasted fish is phenomenal. I don't know where to begin with the vanilla recipe. I'll try to get recipes and photos. All I can say is that since Hassan has opened his restaurant here, I haven't had much beef.

I wonder: do we have capitaine in the US? If not, what would be a good substitute for a good white fish that holds its own in grilling and roasting?

Please let me know the answer to those questions, as I leave here in only a couple of days or so.
Thanks,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 1st, 2009, 10:02 am

Lavabe wrote:My friend Hassan Ben Hassan, the Djibouti/Arab who just opened up his restaurant here in Antsiranana, has two killer dishes for which I am going to try and get the recipes. The first is a simple Brochette de Poisson, and the second is a Roasted Poisson au Vanille. The Poisson of choice here is capitaine fish. Can we get capitaine in the US? The brochette is simple, but they are doing something with it that just makes it simple and tasty, especially when combined with a fresh pico de gallo (spelling?), or peppers, or lime. The vanilla roasted fish is phenomenal. I don't know where to begin with the vanilla recipe. I'll try to get recipes and photos. All I can say is that since Hassan has opened his restaurant here, I haven't had much beef.

I wonder: do we have capitaine in the US? If not, what would be a good substitute for a good white fish that holds its own in grilling and roasting?

Please let me know the answer to those questions, as I leave here in only a couple of days or so.
Thanks,
Lavabe
I think Halibut or Mahi Mahi would be your best choices for a firm white fish that holds up. Can't wait for the recipe!
-- DukeUsul
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 1st, 2009, 11:01 am

Correction: I just talked to the restaurant owner, Hassan. He says that the capitaine is a good, delicate white fish that holds up well with a broil or roast. The even better news is that the brochette is actually WHITE TUNA.

We can get fresh white tuna in the US, yes? Cut in steaks or filets?
Thanks,
Lavabe
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 1st, 2009, 5:42 pm

Lavabe wrote:Correction: I just talked to the restaurant owner, Hassan. He says that the capitaine is a good, delicate white fish that holds up well with a broil or roast. The even better news is that the brochette is actually WHITE TUNA.

We can get fresh white tuna in the US, yes? Cut in steaks or filets?
Thanks,
Lavabe
I know my Wegman's sells it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2009, 1:35 pm

Hmm... well, I think the capitaine a la vanille will NOT work well in the US. The chef insisted on getting fresh vanilla, which is abundant here, but not in the US. He said that even if it were maybe a month after being dried, you wouldn't get the same absorption of the vanilla. As for the capitaine, it's a delicate perch-like kind of fish. The skin is awful, but frankly, I think some freshwater species in the US might work very well, instead. A simple broil will work. But the vanilla is the stopper. And you can't imagine how many specks are needed for the sauce. The chef talked about reducing the butter and vanilla several times, but blending in some savory nonherb spices too. NOT peppery or garlicky at all, and definitely not sweet, but simply scrumptious. One vanilla bean in the US is expensive; you can get 30 here for the same price. As I said... you really can't afford to do it in the US.

Now that I think of it, I had a poulet (chicken) in a vanilla reduction back in Tana. This was very similar.

Tomorrow I get my lesson on the brochette (grilled skewers).
Cheers,
Lavabe
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 3rd, 2009, 8:20 pm

I'll do one, I have been holding back. Sue knows, though I don't know if she tried it. Those that do, I promise, will not be disappointed.
I've had enough to drink right now, that I'm overlooking a promise. I told the guy I got it from that I wouldn't tell. He's dead, and now the restaurant he had is being sold.

Here goes. Cows is mighty tasty. I love 'em.
Always remember that when you buy beef, the meat, it's been in a very cold environment. What do you do when you're cold? Your muscles tense up. Therefore, before you throw cold dead beef out on the cooking surface, allow it to have muscle fiber relaxing. Let it rest at room, or near room temperature before cooking. About an hour is usually enough. This is the best time to apply seasoning. Here is the one told to me, as secretive as it was.

Any cut you like, preferably of the steak style: rib-eye; New York strip; filet; porterhouse; sirloin. Any but the so-called tough cuts: chuck; butt; brisket; tri-tip.
Season thusly:
one half teaspoon garlic powder per side
twice that amount of powdered celery seed per side
Kosher, or sea salt, as desired. Remember this: half of the salt used will drip away from cooking if done on a grill, per side
Fresh ground black pepper or 3 pepper medley also works well, to taste, per side
If you like a little spice and/or heat, a part equal with the celery seed might be something like Chef Paul Prudhomme's "Meat Magic" (works well)

Cook over medium-high heat. 5 minutes per side should produce a medium rare condition for a 1.25 inch thick steak.
If you pan sear in the house, you'd better have good ventilation if you use that "Meat Magic".( I like it) Smoke could take your breath away.
Allow your steak(s) to rest at least 5-7 minutes before serving. This will allow juices to be held within the meat.
Drink mass quantities and eat heartily.

This also works well as a seasoning for a roasting cut such as a boneless rib-eye roast. I do add a bit of balsamic vinegar and Worchestershire sauce at the seasoning stage. Cook at high temps to begin. Example: 450 for the first 30 minutes, then lower to 275 for the remainder of the cooking time.

Ya'll eat good now, OK?
Please don't pass along this recipe to others. Keep it a secret amongst us.
If you have it right,...you'll know what I mean!
=p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 8:25 pm

captmojo wrote:I'll do one, I have been holding back. Sue knows, though I don't know if she tried it. Those that do, I promise, will not be disappointed.
I've had enough to drink right now, that I'm overlooking a promise. I told the guy I got it from that I wouldn't tell. He's dead, and now the restaurant he had is being sold.

Always remember that when you buy beef, the meat, it's been in a very cold environment. What do you do when you're cold? Your muscles tense up. Therefore, before you throw cold dead beef out on the cooking surface, allow it to have muscle fiber relaxing. Let it rest at room, or near room temperature before cooking. About an hour is usually enough. This is the best time to apply seasoning. Here is the one told to me, as secretive as it was.

Any cut you like, preferably of the steak style: rib-eye; New York strip; filet; porterhouse; sirloin. Any but the so-called tough cuts: chuck; butt; brisket; tri-tip.
Season thusly:
Kosher, or sea salt, as desired. Remember this: half of the salt used will drip away from cooking if done on a grill, per side
Fresh ground black pepper or 3 pepper medley also works well, to taste, per side
If you like a little spice and/or heat, a part equal with the celery seed might be something like Chef Paul Prudhomme's "Meat Magic" (works well)

Cook over medium-high heat. 5 minutes per side should produce a medium rare condition for a 1.25 inch thick steak.
If you pan sear in the house, you'd better have good ventilation if you use that "Meat Magic".( I like it) Smoke could take your breath away.
Allow your steak(s) to rest at least 5-7 minutes before serving. This will allow juices to be held within the meat.

This also works well as a seasoning for a roasting cut such as a boneless rib-eye roast. I do add a bit of balsamic vinegar and Worchestershire sauce at the seasoning stage. Cook at high temps to begin. Example: 450 for the first 30 minutes, then lower to 275 for the remainder of the cooking time.

Ya'll eat good now, OK?
=p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~
Capt - Great tips!!!! I will try that and of course, keep it our secret!!!! :-bd
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » August 3rd, 2009, 8:39 pm

Actually, I've kept it a secret, as you asked me to. :)

I haven't made it yet as I've been waiting to be able to grill. (I don't seem to do too well with ovens & indoor smoke, & didn't have a grill at the old place.) Once I get back into my place, I will try it for sure (I saved the recipe the first time you sent it to me).

Mmmmm cow.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 8:41 pm

Lavabe wrote:Hmm... well, I think the capitaine a la vanille will NOT work well in the US. The chef insisted on getting fresh vanilla, which is abundant here, but not in the US. He said that even if it were maybe a month after being dried, you wouldn't get the same absorption of the vanilla. As for the capitaine, it's a delicate perch-like kind of fish. The skin is awful, but frankly, I think some freshwater species in the US might work very well, instead. A simple broil will work. But the vanilla is the stopper. And you can't imagine how many specks are needed for the sauce. The chef talked about reducing the butter and vanilla several times, but blending in some savory nonherb spices too. NOT peppery or garlicky at all, and definitely not sweet, but simply scrumptious. One vanilla bean in the US is expensive; you can get 30 here for the same price. As I said... you really can't afford to do it in the US.

Now that I think of it, I had a poulet (chicken) in a vanilla reduction back in Tana. This was very similar.

Tomorrow I get my lesson on the brochette (grilled skewers).
Cheers,
Lavabe
Until you mentioned the vanilla bean... I was thinking of something similiar to homemade coconut!!!! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I understand that DD is a master at this!!!!! :D
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 3rd, 2009, 9:41 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Capt - Great tips!!!! I will try that and of course, keep it our secret!!!! :-bd
When you put on that seasoning, many call it a dry rub, you need to do just that. Rub it. Don't be scared to get dirty. Get your hands into it.
Place your palm on one side of the steak. Wrap your fingers around the edge and RUB. Massage it into the meat.
Sue71 wrote:Actually, I've kept it a secret, as you asked me to. :)

I haven't made it yet as I've been waiting to be able to grill. (I don't seem to do too well with ovens & indoor smoke, & didn't have a grill at the old place.) Once I get back into my place, I will try it for sure (I saved the recipe the first time you sent it to me).

Mmmmm cow.
If you limit the rub to just the garlic and celery, salt and pepper, smoke won't be much of a problem to pan sear/fry.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 4th, 2009, 12:23 am

captmojo wrote:I'll do one, I have been holding back. Sue knows, though I don't know if she tried it. Those that do, I promise, will not be disappointed.

Season thusly:

Ya'll eat good now, OK?
Holy crap. This is what I'm making myself for my birthday on Saturday.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 4th, 2009, 8:49 am

Be sure to use garlic powder, not the fresh stuff 'cause at the high temperature, fresh garlic will caramelize and BURN.
I get good ground celery seed from The Fresh Market stores, in little zip-lock bags. The lighter the color, the drier it is. The drier it is, the more intense the flavor.

Early happy birthday wishes and report back your results.
Bon appetit! :ymparty:
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 9:02 am

One of my favorite steaks...
In my opinion, one cannot underestimate the importance of a grill pan's place in the kitchen. This is, next to a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, my favorite cooking pan. It also allows you to enjoy a great "grilled" steak any time of the year, which has already come in handy on more than one occasion since I've moved back east. (sidenote: one good thing about the west coast is that your grilling plans are rarely rained out). Anywho.
1. Turn off your smoke detector
2. Adjust your broiler rack so the surface of the meat will sit about 4-6 inches from the heat
3. Turn broiler on high
4. Get your grill pan hot, really hot. I get it medium-high
5. Lightly brush your steak with Olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper
6. Place steak in grill pan and sear 2-3 minutes
7. Flip it over, top with a pat of unsalted butter or a compound butter and place under broiler
8. Broil for about 3-5 minutes depending on how you like your steak
9. Tent with foil and rest 5 minutes before serving

This produces a heavenly steak; gorgeous grill marks, evenly cooked without any of the mess/labor involved with grilling (and this coming from a self-professed grillaholic). This method also lends itself well to reductions and other pan sauces because there are lots of other yummy browned bits in the pan.

Thoughts:
On salt - folks please don't use iodized salt on your steaks. Use it to boil water or as a mild abrasive for household cleaning, just don't try to get good flavor out of it. I have become a huge fan of Fleur de Sel for most of my cooking but the best damn thing you can put on a steak is Truffle Salt. It's pricey but oh it's worth the money. Truffle salt and fresh cracked pepper will open up so many flavors. Mmmm! Be warned: this stuff will stink up your pantry. I keep it sealed in a jar, that's inside of a tupperware bowl. :-)

On cooking times and temps - I sear for 2 minutes and roast for about 2-4 minutes for rare to medium-rare. Increase the searing time for anything above medium-rare.
sMiles
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 9th, 2009, 8:56 pm

wilson wrote:

Season thusly:

Ya'll eat good now, OK?
Well, how did it go? :?:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 10th, 2009, 9:39 am

Every Christmas morning for the last 15 years I've done brunch. For 20 something (if I recall the record is 28) I make the same thing every year, and there would be HELL to pay if I didn't! The recipe is below.

PEACH FRENCH TOAST

3/4 half and half
3 eggs
3 Tbs Peach Preserves

Blend well (I use my food processor - the Preserves tend to sink to the bottom otherwise)

Pour over:

6 slices of 1"-1.5" dense french bread

Soak over night (covered) - I usually turn the bread once

Fry as you would any french toast (yes you can bake it - not as good IMHO but saves some fat I guess - oh wait half and half? real eggs? screw the fat - get out the butter and fry! :D )

Serve with:
Sliced peaches (frozen or fresh NOT canned)
Slivered almonds
Maple Syrup
Peach butter (soften 1/2 stick of butter - stir in I Tbs peach preserves - refrigerate - this is also great on toast!)

Eat.

If making it for a crowd (even with my two griddles going it would take waaayyy too long to feed every Christmas morning) you can fry it up the day before - wrap in foil (like a loaf of bread) 4-5 pieces per package. Throw it in the oven at 350 until it gets hot.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 11th, 2009, 4:20 pm

windsor wrote:Every Christmas morning for the last 15 years I've done brunch. For 20 something (if I recall the record is 28) I make the same thing every year, and there would be HELL to pay if I didn't! The recipe is below.

PEACH FRENCH TOAST

3/4 half and half
3 eggs
3 Tbs Peach Preserves

Blend well (I use my food processor - the Preserves tend to sink to the bottom otherwise)

Pour over:

6 slices of 1"-1.5" dense french bread

Soak over night (covered) - I usually turn the bread once

Fry as you would any french toast (yes you can bake it - not as good IMHO but saves some fat I guess - oh wait half and half? real eggs? screw the fat - get out the butter and fry! :D )

Serve with:
Sliced peaches (frozen or fresh NOT canned)
Slivered almonds
Maple Syrup
Peach butter (soften 1/2 stick of butter - stir in I Tbs peach preserves - refrigerate - this is also great on toast!)

Eat.

If making it for a crowd (even with my two griddles going it would take waaayyy too long to feed every Christmas morning) you can fry it up the day before - wrap in foil (like a loaf of bread) 4-5 pieces per package. Throw it in the oven at 350 until it gets hot.
Yummy! I will try this one with my kids this weekend! ^:)^ :-bd
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 12th, 2009, 6:00 pm

wilson wrote:
Shouldn't that be O:-) 3:-O ?

;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage