Bring on the Phillies!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: Bring on the Phillies!

Post by DukeUsul » October 29th, 2009, 11:10 am

devildeac wrote:How 'bout the phabulous Phils last PM? Does Pedro pitch tonight? Who's on the hill phor the Yanks?
Pedro vs. AJ Burnett. Pedro did his typical mouthing off already this week. The boo-birds will be on him. Good thing he's playing with house money. No pressure. A win is great, but going back to Philly with a split is about as good as you hope for going into the thing. Burnett can lose it under pressure. Pitching behind a Sabathia win would have been good for him. Here's to hoping he loses it under the pressure tonight!
-- DukeUsul
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » October 30th, 2009, 12:28 pm

I thought Game 2 was a mirror image of Game 1. Pedro pitched well enough to win, as did CC the night before. Tex's dinger was on a good pitch tailing away - that's why he's their most dangerous hitter. Matsui's dinger was a fluke - it was halfway to his ankles and he golfed it. A Fox graphic had the distance at 320 feet, which is just a ridiculous dimension for a "major league" park that far away from the foul pole. (And Utley's first dinger in G1 was the same thing). It was the right move to have Pedro start the 7th. Hairston got on with a bloop 2-strike hit, and the Yankees did a nice job with the hit-n-run.

As for the umps - eew. Howard unintentionally confessed to not catching the line drive in the 7th when he decided to stop and throw to second to "force" Posada. If Howard knew he caught it clean, he would have just kept running to first to double off Posada the easy way. On Utley's double play the next inning, even if Utley beat the throw, the umps could have also called out Victorino for practically sliding into center field in an attempt to take out Jeter.

Regardless, the better team won each game, the Phils got their split, and Ol Chollly can go Hamels, Happ / Blanton combo, then Lee for the three Philly games if he wants. Huge edge to the Phils if CC comes back on short rest for Game 4 - the Phils roughed him up pretty good last year in Philly when the Brewers tried it, and I think it's a mistake if the Phils use Lee in Game 4.

The Bank will be rocking, unlike Yankee Stadium where even a shill like McCarver was saying the place was dead last night. I guess the New Yorkers got an early start on Halloween and came dressed as empty seats (at least the $2,000 ones).
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Turk wrote:The Bank will be rocking, unlike Yankee Stadium where even a shill like McCarver was saying the place was dead last night. I guess the New Yorkers got an early start on Halloween and came dressed as empty seats (at least the $2,000 ones).
You mean they didn't sell out for a World Series game? I guess from what you are saying, New York doesn't support its sports teams. ;)
[Note: this was same claim that many in NY had about Atlanta when Atlanta didn't sell out in the postseason.]
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Turk

Post by Turk » October 30th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Lavabe wrote:You mean they didn't sell out for a World Series game? I guess from what you are saying, New York doesn't support its sports teams. ;)
[Note: this was same claim that many in NY had about Atlanta when Atlanta didn't sell out in the postseason.]
I presume all the tix were sold, and am guessing the empty seats next to the field were either no-shows or those people had moved someplace warmer. The upper level looked very full.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 30th, 2009, 2:55 pm

Turk wrote:
Lavabe wrote:You mean they didn't sell out for a World Series game? I guess from what you are saying, New York doesn't support its sports teams. ;)
I presume all the tix were sold, and am guessing the empty seats next to the field were either no-shows or those people had moved someplace warmer. The upper level looked very full.
To be honest, in the 2000's when Atlanta was in the playoffs Atlanta was sold out, but not fully attended. That's what riled up the NY sports writers.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.