Do you eat the heels from a loaf of bread?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Do you eat the heels from a loaf of bread?

Yes. I prefer not to though.
11%
Sure, why not?
53%
No. I feed them to birds in public parks whilst talking to myself and rocking slowly, back and forth, back and forth.
No votes
No. I let them get moldy and then toss em in the garbage. That's rubbish for you colchar.
5%
No. Well, yeah sorta. I toss them with some olive oil and seasoning, then toast them to make breadcrumbs.
16%
No. I pull out the last two good slices and leave the heels for someone else.
16%
No. But only because I don't eat bread.
No votes

Total votes: 19
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: Do you eat the heels from a loaf of bread?

Post by knights68 » October 1st, 2009, 1:33 pm

I enjoy eating the heels from the loaf of bread. My only complaint is that there isn't MORE!
They should make a loaf of bread with nothing but bread heels in 'em! :))

I use these as a good solid piece of bread for a good sandwich. Homemade burgers work best! But then again, PB sandwiches are rather awesome too. It's a very multi-useful piece of bread.
Stuffing, toast (french or normal), sandwich base, croutons, the list is friggin endless!
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » October 1st, 2009, 2:10 pm

I know someone who only likes to eat the CRUST of the sandwich... :-o
Class of 2014
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » October 1st, 2009, 5:47 pm

Miles wrote:
wilson wrote:
Miles wrote:
I too have mental expiration dates. For milk as a beverage, the expiration date occurs about 3 or 4 days after it's been opened. On cereal or for cooking I'll go for a week or just over.
As long as milk doesn't smell funky, I'm cool. Similarly, for bread, as long as it's not furry and/or green, I'm not worried.
Me too. The odor changes almost daily. After a week, it smells putrid to me, even though I know it's not.
Not to get to personal but, how are you smelling your milk?

If you're sniffing it while it's still in the carton/container then, you are more than likely smelling the "crust" that forms around the opening and it's going to smell funky. However, if you pour the milk into a cup/glass/bowl then smell, you're going to get the actual aroma.

I mean, seriously, are you gonna' attempt to gauge the bouquet of wine by sniffing the rim of the bottle's opening?
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 1st, 2009, 5:57 pm

TNTDevil wrote:
Miles wrote:
wilson wrote:As long as milk doesn't smell funky, I'm cool. Similarly, for bread, as long as it's not furry and/or green, I'm not worried.
Me too. The odor changes almost daily. After a week, it smells putrid to me, even though I know it's not.
If you're sniffing it while it's still in the carton/container then, you are more than likely smelling the "crust" that forms around the opening and it's going to smell funky. However, if you pour the milk into a cup/glass/bowl then smell, you're going to get the actual aroma.?
I never thought about that..great point.
By the way...one of my favorite requests that I will always turn down is "smell this milk". Hell no, if you need a second opinion, I ain't drinking it or smelling it. If you are trying to impress me with it's putridness..I trust you that it is that bad.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 1st, 2009, 6:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: If you are trying to impress me with it's putridness..I trust you that it is that bad.
What happened to Jeff Foxworthy's famous "courtesy sniff"? :ymsick:

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 2nd, 2009, 8:40 am

TNTDevil wrote:
Miles wrote:
wilson wrote: As long as milk doesn't smell funky, I'm cool. Similarly, for bread, as long as it's not furry and/or green, I'm not worried.
Not to get to personal but, how are you smelling your milk?

If you're sniffing it while it's still in the carton/container then, you are more than likely smelling the "crust" that forms around the opening and it's going to smell funky. However, if you pour the milk into a cup/glass/bowl then smell, you're going to get the actual aroma.

I mean, seriously, are you gonna' attempt to gauge the bouquet of wine by sniffing the rim of the bottle's opening?
That's a great point. Over the years though I've honed a special skill. I can see stench. So all I have to do now is stare down a bottle of milk and I know, oh yes, I know.
sMiles
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » October 2nd, 2009, 4:13 pm

Bread heels make good samiches at 2:00AM when there is nothing else in the house to eat. I also enjoy giving them to my kids when they complain if I don't cut the crust off their sandwiches
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 12th, 2009, 12:33 am

Jesus_hurley wrote:.... I also enjoy giving them to my kids when they complain if I don't cut the crust off their sandwiches
:ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :)) :)) :)) :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: