Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: So long, farewell...

Post by Sue71 » April 23rd, 2009, 1:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:
WHY ILJ failed to support her own daughter is beyond me. WHY ILJ supported a hole is beyond me. [-x
Why do you allow such things in your home? :-w :-w :-w [-x [-x [-x
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 23rd, 2009, 1:54 pm

Sue71 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
WHY ILJ failed to support her own daughter is beyond me. WHY ILJ supported a hole is beyond me. [-x
I am the lone male in a household of three females. I am used to deferring. :-$
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » April 23rd, 2009, 2:06 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
I am the lone male in a household of three females. I am used to deferring. :-$
Speaking of which, how is Miss Georgia? Haven't seen pics in a while (hint hint). :o3 :o3 :o3
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 26th, 2009, 6:10 am

Sue71 wrote:Speaking of which, how is Miss Georgia? Haven't seen pics in a while (hint hint). :o3 :o3 :o3
Well, I just did buy a boatload of new digital photographic equipment, so I'll need to practice on her before leaving the country.

Will post on the CrazieDog thread.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Re: American Idol

Post by Lavabe » May 6th, 2009, 6:03 am

Last night: Rock Night, featuring guest coach SLASH.

Remaining contestants: Adam, Allison, Kris, and Gokey.

The performances were predictable in the sense that the first two contestants have always been billing themselves as being rock types.

Okay, Adam doing Robert Plant made a whole lot of sense (doing Whole Lotta Love). Umm... he NAILED the Robert Plant impersonation. Too many excess runs and stylings at the end, but he did a very realistic cover. What next... Kashmir?

Allison: Finally does Joplin, but the wrong song... Cry Baby. I have been screaming for her to do Piece of My Heart, but later she explained that everybody does that one (huh?). She also explained later that she was thinking about doing Jefferson Airplane's (Grace Slick's) Somebody to Love. As for Cry Baby, she was okay, but the judges wanted her to do something other than that song, as it doesn't really show much of her range. Simon thought she should have done a Queen song. Randy thought Piece of My Heart. The performance was true to Joplin, but was still Allison's own take on it. Okay.

Kris: He dueted with Gokey doing RENEGADE. I'd like those two minutes back on my life. Good harmonies, but these two will not be cutting a rock record. Kris then sang the Beatles' COME TOGETHER. Okay, but just not his genre. Dull.

Gokey: Aerosmith's "Dream On." I think the considered opinion, as expressed by Simon Cowell, was that the last "note" (the scream) was "a horror show." I felt it was more like a torture chamber. Probably the worst moment for these final four participants this season (well, other than Adam's attempt at Johnny Cash). The performance was pitchy throughout.

Allison and Adam dueted SLOW RIDE. Although both paired very well (the judges used the term "marriage"), I was not impressed. They were better than Kris & Gokey, but I just didn't care for the cover.

Based solely on performance, either Kris or Gokey goes, but ANYTHING is possible in this final four. More importantly, no one knows how each faction of voters will turn out to vote. As the lone woman left, Allison might stay. Adam was in trouble last week. Will voters come out for him? Who knows?

Cheers,
Lavabe
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 7th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Lavabe,

Excellent review! I was thinking the exact same things. I was surprised last night when Kris was told 1st that he was safe. Then Adam! Adam was pretty obvious to stay. I thought Allison was staying also, but when Kris was safe first and rethinking Gokey's performance "short of the scream" which wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was better than Allison's and I thought Danny should go home, something in the back of my gut was thinking that Allison might be the one. Unfortunately, it happened. I think Adam is going to win this thing, but never can tell! The guitar hero guy "can't remember his name" was pretty good, Paula were magnificent, and the new Daughtry song, well goes without saying! :-bd

I especially loved the hair do and the tutu on the drummer of the band "no doubt". Talk about stuffing for the TV! :D

Other miscellaneous:

The things ya don't get to hear:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/arts/ ... l?ref=arts

Interesting, seems like many others agreed with what we were thinking:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/america ... -club.html
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 13th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Can someone tell me what a big ding dong is?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 13th, 2009, 10:19 pm

CathyCA wrote:Can someone tell me what a big ding dong is?
I don't know, but I think we can discuss it here. :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » May 13th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Adam and Kris in the final!!!!!!!!! Is there an emoticon for excited? My two favorites made it all the way!
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 14th, 2009, 8:58 am

Bostondevil wrote:Adam and Kris in the final!!!!!!!!! Is there an emoticon for excited? My two favorites made it all the way!
Thankfully votefortheworst didn't win.

It's a coin flip. At this point, who has the stronger fan base? They said last night that only 1 million votes (out of 84 million votes cast) separated the two.

Gokey had a good run, but I'm glad the two stronger singers made it through.

So what's the format for next week? I think they changed up the format last year so that we weren't serenaded by some sappy new Celine Dion-type song especially written for Idol, complete with background vocals by the Los Angeles City chorus.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 14th, 2009, 11:19 pm

I have yet to watch AI this season, but I may have to next week. One of the finalists is from Arkansas! My niece was at the big event for Kris last weekend (the one in Conway, AR) and couldn't even get close enough to see the stage because there were so many people there. Folks in the state are excited - people who normally wouldn't watch AI are watching.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 20th, 2009, 9:06 pm

Oh my. What was Kris' mom THINKING when she chose that dress? Some women (lots of women!) need sleeves. Kris' mom needed lots of sleeves.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 20th, 2009, 9:13 pm

CathyCA wrote:Oh my. What was Kris' mom THINKING when she chose that dress? Some women (lots of women!) need sleeves. Kris' mom needed lots of sleeves.
:|
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 20th, 2009, 9:28 pm

Santana a/Matt ... Ugh.
KISS w/Adam... Nice.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 20th, 2009, 9:29 pm

My 11 y.o. and I are both enjoying Carlos Santana. The kid recognizes Black Magic Woman from his Guitar Hero game.

I love Santana's music. He is so cool!

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 20th, 2009, 9:31 pm

CathyCA wrote:My 11 y.o. and I are both enjoying Carlos Santana. The kid recognizes Black Magic Woman from his Guitar Hero game.

I love Santana's music. He is so cool!
I concur! I was rocking! :ymparty:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 20th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Megan Joy... UGH
Singing with Steve Sarber... Combined with Steve Martin.
I want my two minutes back.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 20th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Lavabe wrote:Megan Joy... UGH
Singing with Steve Sarber... Combined with Steve Martin.
I want my two minutes back.
HAAAA - I was thinking something similiar, BUT you put it much better! YOU ARE SOO ARTICULATE! :-bd %-( :-bd
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 20th, 2009, 9:38 pm

From my 75 y.o. mom: "She's a cute little girl, but I don't like that tattoo."

I'm assuming that Mom was referring to the sleeve tattoo, and not the one on Megan's wrist or ankle.

And now more funny news from Mom: she's checking caller i.d. and ignoring the phone call that's coming in while her "show" is on TV.

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 20th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Rod Stewart should not sing anymore. Sad.