Foods I don't understand

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Foods I don't understand

Post by devildeac » September 3rd, 2009, 8:04 am

windsor wrote:I don't care how you spell them....brussels sprouts brussell sprouts....brussell's sprouts...they are nasty little things. I can not even get the little slimy cabbagie lumps past my nose. There is not enough butter in the free world to make them edible.

Blech. Just Blech. :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:
Brussell sprout haters unite!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 3rd, 2009, 9:31 am

Once when I visited some friends during their tenure in the Houston area, we visited a restaurant billed as authentic Mexican, not Tex-Mex. The food was all great except for one thing: BBQ goat. The color, the texture..... yuck!
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » September 3rd, 2009, 10:06 am

I'll champion the hate of the following:

Those effing sprouts. Slimy little buggers.
Meatloaf... no thanks. It began as a means to stretch hamburger (before the days of "Hamburger Helper") into a "meal". Well, I'm down with Wilson, better uses for ground beef/bison. My problem with meatloaf is the same as... (see below).

Something for which I did not care (but, I've only had it once) grilled wild boar. Not. Good.

Another thing, I've tried, tried, tried and, alas, failed to like- Mango. I realize it's the "darling" of foodies but, I just do not get the taste.

And finally, I know this will be controversial but, I cannot tolerate... sweet potatoes. There, I said it. They share the same characteristic with meatloaf, if you've got to put that much other crap on them to make them tasty, they must not be that good.
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 3rd, 2009, 10:09 am

TNTDevil wrote:Meatloaf... no thanks. It began as a means to stretch hamburger (before the days of "Hamburger Helper") into a "meal". Well, I'm down with Wilson, better uses for ground beef/bison. My problem with meatloaf is the same as... (see below).
A virtual high five to you, my friend.
Can't say I feel quite the same about your other listed foods, but I definitely see your point about sweet potatoes. They require considerable "doctoring," if you ask me, to acquire much flavor.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 3rd, 2009, 10:16 am

TNTDevil wrote:I'll champion the hate of the following:

Meatloaf... no thanks. It began as a means to stretch hamburger (before the days of "Hamburger Helper") into a "meal". Well, I'm down with Wilson, better uses for ground beef/bison. My problem with meatloaf is the same as... (see below).

Something for which I did not care (but, I've only had it once) grilled wild boar. Not. Good.

Another thing, I've tried, tried, tried and, alas, failed to like- Mango. I realize it's the "darling" of foodies but, I just do not get the taste.

And finally, I know this will be controversial but, I cannot tolerate... sweet potatoes. There, I said it. They share the same characteristic with meatloaf, if you've got to put that much other crap on them to make them tasty, they must not be that good.
Have you tried roasting or baking sweet potatoes in the skins? The carmelization that takes place adds lots of flavor without adding "stuff." When I make whipped sweet potatoes, I roast them first rather than boil them, then pull off the skins and whip to a fair the well. Add a little orange juice as the liquid when whipping... very tasty!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 3rd, 2009, 10:18 am

I'm not a fan of meatloaf - or sweet potatoes....but I will eat them if they are served to me...brussel(l)(s) sprouts? Not on your life.
I was not big on boar (had it once also) - mine was tad gamey.

There are foods I will only eat certain ways or places - duck comes to mind...well cooked it is excellent...badly cook...blech.

Oh...I forgot one...SNAILS - give them a fancy french name if you want...it is still just a slug with a house...as with the sprouts no amount of butter (or garlic) is enough...the very thought makes me gag. :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 3rd, 2009, 10:19 am

wilson wrote:
TNTDevil wrote:Meatloaf... no thanks. It began as a means to stretch hamburger (before the days of "Hamburger Helper") into a "meal". Well, I'm down with Wilson, better uses for ground beef/bison. My problem with meatloaf is the same as... (see below).
A virtual high five to you, my friend.
Can't say I feel quite the same about your other listed foods, but I definitely see your point about sweet potatoes. They require considerable "doctoring," if you ask me, to acquire much flavor.
I'm with you two on sweet potatoes.
I worship the Blue Devil!
TNTDevil

Post by TNTDevil » September 3rd, 2009, 10:24 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Have you tried roasting or baking sweet potatoes in the skins? The carmelization that takes place adds lots of flavor without adding "stuff." When I make whipped sweet potatoes, I roast them first rather than boil them, then pull off the skins and whip to a fair the well. Add a little orange juice as the liquid when whipping... very tasty!
Nope, in all honesty, most of my dislike for sweet potatoes is mental. Too many Thanksgivings where my siblings and parent tried to browbeat me into liking them. I'm sure there are a number of great SP recipes but, they aren't in my "book".
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 3rd, 2009, 10:26 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:

Have you tried roasting or baking sweet potatoes in the skins? The carmelization that takes place adds lots of flavor without adding "stuff." When I make whipped sweet potatoes, I roast them first rather than boil them, then pull off the skins and whip to a fair the well. Add a little orange juice as the liquid when whipping... very tasty!
A little rum in the whipped sweet potatoes is good, too! My sister makes the best.

As for meat loaf, I like it! Cold meat loaf sandwiches are even better!
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 3rd, 2009, 10:28 am

TNTDevil wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Have you tried roasting or baking sweet potatoes in the skins? The carmelization that takes place adds lots of flavor without adding "stuff." When I make whipped sweet potatoes, I roast them first rather than boil them, then pull off the skins and whip to a fair the well. Add a little orange juice as the liquid when whipping... very tasty!
Nope, in all honesty, most of my dislike for sweet potatoes is mental. Too many Thanksgivings where my siblings and parent tried to browbeat me into liking them. I'm sure there are a number of great SP recipes but, they aren't in my "book".
I will say that the Thanksgiving/Christmas sweet potatoes in my family are flippin' delicious. We have the souffle with big marshmallows toasted on top. Yum. :D
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » September 3rd, 2009, 10:47 am

Lavabe wrote:There are some foods that make no sense to me.
Who came up with this stuff?
Pickled eggs,
pickled pigs feet (and/or pig ears) (a southern/redneck/biker/cowboy bar tradition!!),
souse & tripe,
fried bologna, fried spam or canned ham,
potted meat on saltines,
fried chicken livers,
fried green tomatoes,
canned hash or canned sausage and toast,
Neck bones and rice,
Fat back!
Those are the culinary dreams of the southerners of olde. Not so sure about nowadays though... a certain amount of "dilution" in recent decades seem to have quashed these old southern faves. :))
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 3rd, 2009, 10:49 am

I'm with you on sweet potatoes. *gag*

I'm not a huge meatloaf person either. I'm trying to learn to like it though.

Now wild boar. I've only had it once. My wife ordered roast "wildschwein" at a quaint little restaurant in Munich a few years ago and it was exquisite.
-- DukeUsul
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 3rd, 2009, 10:52 am

DukeUsul wrote: Now wild boar. I've only had it once. My wife ordered roast "wildschwein" at a quaint little restaurant in Munich a few years ago and it was exquisite.
I would be willing to give boar another try. The first time I had Elk I wasn't fond of it - but I've had it since and it has been excellent.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
knights68

Post by knights68 » September 3rd, 2009, 10:54 am

windsor wrote:
DukeUsul wrote: Now wild boar. I've only had it once. My wife ordered roast "wildschwein" at a quaint little restaurant in Munich a few years ago and it was exquisite.
I would be willing to give boar another try. The first time I had Elk I wasn't fond of it - but I've had it since and it has been excellent.
:-? hhmmm, I'd be willing to try wild boar. It's the tamed boar that must be ... wait for it.... a bore! :))
What are other odd/strange/out there type foods folks interested in trying?

I'd love to try snake!!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 3rd, 2009, 11:00 am

knights68 wrote:
windsor wrote:
:-? hhmmm, I'd be willing to try wild boar. It's the tamed boar that must be ... wait for it.... a bore! :))
What are other odd/strange/out there type foods folks interested in trying?

I'd love to try snake!!

I've had rattle snake.....which was pretty good...then again it was prepared with garlic and butter so an old shoe (but not a snail) would taste good.

Odd things I've tried:
Armadillo (strange)
Rattle Snake
Gator (gator sausage - yum)
Squirrel
wild turkey (no relation to the domestic variety in terms of flavor)
boar
Bison/Buffalo
Deer/Elk
Ostrich

I can't think of anything I want to try that I haven't - have to contemplate that for a bit.

I was at George's in La Jolla many years ago and they had LION on the menu - I just couldn't do it.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 3rd, 2009, 11:00 am

knights68 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:There are some foods that make no sense to me.
Who came up with this stuff?
Pickled eggs,
pickled pigs feet (and/or pig ears) (a southern/redneck/biker/cowboy bar tradition!!),
souse & tripe,
fried bologna, fried spam or canned ham,
potted meat on saltines,
fried chicken livers,
fried green tomatoes,
canned hash or canned sausage and toast,
Neck bones and rice,
Fat back!
Those are the culinary dreams of the southerners of olde. Not so sure about nowadays though... a certain amount of "dilution" in recent decades seem to have quashed these old southern faves. :))
These haven't been old southern favorites as much as they are cheap and affordable for families not making much money. Several are made from things other people wouldn't eat, so the poorer people found ways to use them.
knights68

Post by knights68 » September 3rd, 2009, 11:43 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: These haven't been old southern favorites as much as they are cheap and affordable for families not making much money. Several are made from things other people wouldn't eat, so the poorer people found ways to use them.
Southerners and farmers and the sort "back in the day" fit that demographic perfectly.
Some of my relatives too, which I guess is why I am familiar with most of the dishes.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » September 3rd, 2009, 11:49 am

devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote:Meatloaf.
What a way to fuck up a hamburger.
You have obviously never had my wife's meatloaf or Lavabe's. Dee-licious.

Or mine (my Mom's recipe). Dee-fuckin-licious!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 3rd, 2009, 11:52 am

knights68 wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: These haven't been old southern favorites as much as they are cheap and affordable for families not making much money. Several are made from things other people wouldn't eat, so the poorer people found ways to use them.
Southerners and farmers and the sort "back in the day" fit that demographic perfectly.
Some of my relatives too, which I guess is why I am familiar with most of the dishes.
Another interesting twist to why many of the foods made from what would otherwise be leftovers is the connection to the demographics of the early settlers in the region. German, Scots and others like the Pennsylvania Dutch and Moravians were/are very frugal and believed that nothing should be thrown away. I learned recently the idea of adding a little sugar to various cooked vegetables is common among those who came from Scotland.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 3rd, 2009, 12:06 pm

colchar wrote:
devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote:Meatloaf.
What a way to fuck up a hamburger.
You have obviously never had my wife's meatloaf or Lavabe's. Dee-licious.

Or mine (my Mom's recipe). Dee-fuckin-licious!
If I search the Recipe thread, will one of these recipes appear?
Life is good!