Romantic Things (Boys, Please Play Nice)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Romantic Things (Boys, Please Play Nice)

Post by wilson » August 24th, 2009, 9:58 am

Bostondevil wrote:I think I've told the story before so I won't bore you with all the details but my husband never actually asked me to marry him.
Haven't heard it. Spill it.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 24th, 2009, 9:58 am

Bostondevil wrote:I think I've told the story before so I won't bore you with all the details but my husband never actually asked me to marry him.
Umm... you may have told it to the Lovelies, but it sure didn't appear in THIS thread. Is it over yonder? It will be hard to top DukeUsul and shereec. :ymapplause:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 24th, 2009, 9:58 am

Awww, tell it again. I love marriage proposal stories.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 24th, 2009, 10:14 am

bjornolf wrote: Yesterday, she started playing Tesla's Love Song on her iPod dock, and told me when they had informal dances in school, she always wished a guy would ask her to dance to it. I dropped what I was doing and danced with her to it in the kitchen in front of the kids. Afterward, she cried, and I'm pretty sure I hadn't stepped on her toes a single time. ;)

%%-
I think this is great. Your wife is a lucky woman - and what makes it even better is that you think you are the lucky one!

Do you have any older male relatives? ;)
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 24th, 2009, 10:41 am

Someone is doing (a) for me right now. He's spending his vacation at my house while I go in to work :( and he's doing all of the little (and big) things around my "as is" house to get it up to speed. He's prepped and painted 3 rooms, fixed the kitchen cabinets (about 8 of them), fixed the laundry chute door, replaced light bulbs, replaced a window in the front door, edged the yard around the driveway/curb/sidewalk, unclogged the drain in the yard, trimmed the trees, pulled out some dead shrubs, broken down boxes, moved furniture from the house to my office, from my office to the house, from upstairs to downstairs, from downstairs to upstairs, put boxes in the attic, rebuilt the armoire, planted squash, bought and set up the grill, put padding under the rug, prepared dinner, made the tea, cleaned the kitchen, put in a new garage door opener, fixed our bikes, dealt with the cable/TV/telephone people, re-worked the recycling bin when I got OCD about the way my SIL put stuff in it, bought picture hanging wire and picture hooks, moved televisions and hooked them up to cable, and there is more, but this is what comes to mind immediately.

It's not flowers, candy and candlelight, but he's done that before, too, and I loved it. :ymblushing: What he's doing for me now is as romantic a thing as anyone has ever done for me. I didn't ask him to do this. I told him that I needed to have these things done, and rather than my hiring it out, he took it upon himself to do these things for me.

A man who is responsive to my needs--THAT is romantic. And I love him for it.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 24th, 2009, 10:50 am

wilson wrote:
It probably was detailed in LTE 1.0.

My first date with Mr. BD was a Duke - Final Four party. Yes, it's true. Fast forward two years, I'm ready to leave Boston but I'll stay if Mr. BD thinks that our relationship is going somewhere. He says stay. I stayed. Fast forward one year. I tell Mr. BD that I have to let my landlord know by April 1st if I'm going to renew my lease. The 1991 Championship Game was held on April 1st. It was also the anniversary of our first date. We were at a party, of course, with a bunch of other Dukies. When Duke won everybody was all excited and toasting with champagne. Mr. BD told the party that they should toast our engagement as well. I was on the other side of the room. Several people asked me if it was true or if it was an April Fool's joke. BD: Is this an April Fool's joke? Mr. BD: No. BD: I guess we're getting married.

Postscript to the story, Coach K upon returning to Durham announced that if people would mail items to his office, he would have the team sign them. Big mistake on his part but it worked out for us. Forget the mail, my mom heard the announcement on the radio, got in the car, drove to Duke, bought a poster in the bookstore and walked over to Cameron to personally drop it off in Coach K's office. He happened to be there so mom got to meet Coach K. She told him the whole story of Duke basketball getting us together. Coach K thought maybe they should start a Duke basketball dating service (not a bad idea) and we have a poster autographed by the '91 team, the whole team, even Christian Ast!
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2009, 10:53 am

Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:

My first date with Mr. BD was a Duke - Final Four party. Yes, it's true. Fast forward two years, I'm ready to leave Boston but I'll stay if Mr. BD thinks that our relationship is going somewhere. He says stay. I stayed. Fast forward one year. I tell Mr. BD that I have to let my landlord know by April 1st if I'm going to renew my lease. The 1991 Championship Game was held on April 1st. It was also the anniversary of our first date. We were at a party, of course, with a bunch of other Dukies. When Duke won everybody was all excited and toasting with champagne. Mr. BD told the party that they should toast our engagement as well. I was on the other side of the room. Several people asked me if it was true or if it was an April Fool's joke. BD: Is this an April Fool's joke? Mr. BD: No. BD: I guess we're getting married.

Postscript to the story, Coach K upon returning to Durham announced that if people would mail items to his office, he would have the team sign them. Big mistake on his part but it worked out for us. Forget the mail, my mom heard the announcement on the radio, got in the car, drove to Duke, bought a poster in the bookstore and walked over to Cameron to personally drop it off in Coach K's office. He happened to be there so mom got to meet Coach K. She told him the whole story of Duke basketball getting us together. Coach K thought maybe they should start a Duke basketball dating service (not a bad idea) and we have a poster autographed by the '91 team, the whole team, even Christian Ast!
Great story.

Shoulda requested his championship ring (before he put it up for sale on ebay or wherever...)
:roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 24th, 2009, 10:54 am

Bostondevil wrote:...we have a poster autographed by the '91 team, the whole team, even Christian Ast!
Great story, and a really cool memento of the time your hubby sort of Ast you to marry him. =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 24th, 2009, 10:55 am

:D
CathyCA wrote:It's not flowers, candy and candlelight, but he's done that before, too, and I loved it. :ymblushing: What he's doing for me now is as romantic a thing as anyone has ever done for me. I didn't ask him to do this. I told him that I needed to have these things done, and rather than my hiring it out, he took it upon himself to do these things for me.

A man who is responsive to my needs--THAT is romantic. And I love him for it.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Truer words were never spoke.

---
On the romantic proposal topic (not mine, but I witnessed it) sitting in Detroit waiting for a flight (back when you could get to the gate without a ticket if you asked nice!), plane arrives at the next gate...Flight attendent is the first person off the plane with a big Crystal vase - hands it to a young woman waiting for an arriving passenger...about every third passenger that got off the plane had a red rose @};- - which they put in the vase...flight crew gets off and lastly comes a young man in a tails with a ring box...he does the one knee proposal. Let me tell you the terminal went wild. Lady sitting next to me yelled "honey if you don't marry him I WILL". She said yes.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 24th, 2009, 10:56 am

windsor wrote:On the romantic proposal topic (not mine, but I witnessed it) sitting in Detroit waiting for a flight (back when you could get to the gate without a ticket if you asked nice!), plane arrives at the next gate...Flight attendent is the first person off the plane with a big Crystal vase - hands it to a young woman waiting for an arriving passenger...about every third passenger that got off the plane had a red rose @};- - which they put in the vase...flight crew gets off and lastly comes a young man in a tails with a ring box...he does the one knee proposal. Let me tell you the terminal went wild. Lady sitting next to me yelled "honey if you don't marry him I WILL". She said yes.
That's flippin' awesome. I'd like to buy that guy a beer.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 24th, 2009, 11:07 am

Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:

You told us the story in Salisbury when we met for your play!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 24th, 2009, 11:45 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
bjornolf wrote: Yesterday, she started playing Tesla's Love Song on her iPod dock, and told me when they had informal dances in school, she always wished a guy would ask her to dance to it. I dropped what I was doing and danced with her to it in the kitchen in front of the kids. Afterward, she cried, and I'm pretty sure I hadn't stepped on her toes a single time. ;)

%%-
I think this is great. Your wife is a lucky woman - and what makes it even better is that you think you are the lucky one!

Other than my half brother? ;) I have a couple cousins actually. All of them are single, but their beautiful people out in Cali with nice tans and the world before them on a platter. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 24th, 2009, 11:55 am

bjornolf wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:

%%-

Other than my half brother? ;) I have a couple cousins actually. All of them are single, but their beautiful people out in Cali with nice tans and the world before them on a platter. ;)

%%-

Unfortunately, your half-brother is married and that is a line I will not cross. Married is not available. People in CA can relocate. Kansas isn't so bad. :D
Life is good!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 24th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I'm serious here, I'll make off color jokes in other threads to make up for it, but the question in this one is - what's the most romantic thing:
a) someone has ever done for you?
b) you could imagine someone ever doing for you?
c) you've done for someone else?

Answer any one or all three. I"m talking ROMANTIC, falling in love not falling into bed. I know I can trust wilson with this and all the lovelies, the rest of you (boys) if you can't do it right, please go hijack another thread. Ymo is probably to be trusted too.
I've got answers but, damn. You had to make it serious replies.
I...obviously cannot be...trusted. :(|)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2009, 3:53 pm

captmojo wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:I'm serious here, I'll make off color jokes in other threads to make up for it, but the question in this one is - what's the most romantic thing:
a) someone has ever done for you?
b) you could imagine someone ever doing for you?
c) you've done for someone else?

Answer any one or all three. I"m talking ROMANTIC, falling in love not falling into bed. I know I can trust wilson with this and all the lovelies, the rest of you (boys) if you can't do it right, please go hijack another thread. Ymo is probably to be trusted too.
I've got answers but, damn. You had to make it serious replies.
I...obviously cannot be...trusted. :(|)
Thank you for showing restraint and respect for BD's request. #:-s
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 24th, 2009, 3:58 pm

devildeac wrote:
I suppose it's OK to just say that my answers have something to do with pillows and vicious snakes. :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2009, 7:43 pm

captmojo wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I suppose it's OK to just say that my answers have something to do with pillows and vicious snakes. :D
Ah, yes, pillowing, old Japanese expression (at least according to Shogun).

Nothing about snakes has been mentioned so far with the pillows... :roll:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 24th, 2009, 8:24 pm

captmojo wrote:I...obviously cannot be...trusted. :(|)
Join the crowd. :( :-q

SAY... when will the First Mate ever post on CTN? Will Ms. Devildeac? Perhaps Ms. Ozzie? How about Mr. BD?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 24th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Mr. BD - never. He's just not a message board kinda guy.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 24th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Mr. BD - never. He's just not a message board kinda guy.
I have on good authority, however, that he thinks at least some message board people are plenty nice and surprisingly normal. ;)