Congratulations to...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Congratulations to...

Post by bjornolf » August 19th, 2009, 8:31 am

That's awesome. Since I don't get to a lot of games, you'll have to tell me if she makes it on TV during a basketball game and I'll be sure to go back in my TiVo to see her. :D

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 19th, 2009, 8:45 am

Awesome --- congratulations!!! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
-- DukeUsul
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 19th, 2009, 9:08 am

Congratulations indeed! And continued vibes throughout the season!
sMiles
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 19th, 2009, 3:33 pm

This is great! I'm happy for her...and you.
It just goes to further prove that 95% of all the shit we worry most about...never happens.
Best of luck to her for a winning cheer season! :-bd
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
weezie
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by weezie » August 19th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Oh YAY!!!! That's wonderful news. I love watching the cheerleaders "grow up" alongside the players. They are such nice girls!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 19th, 2009, 10:26 pm

I've already done my happy dance for her over on FB.

But I'm doing a happy dance over here, and I hope that Claire gets to do her happy dance on April 5 in Indianapolis as the Blue Devils cut down the nets.

YAY!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 19th, 2009, 11:21 pm

CathyCA wrote:I've already done my happy dance for her over on FB.

But I'm doing a happy dance over here, and I hope that Claire gets to do her happy dance on April 5 in Indianapolis as the Blue Devils cut down the nets.

YAY!
Now THAT would be SWEEET!

Thanks.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 19th, 2009, 11:37 pm

devildeac wrote:

YAY!

Thanks.
Maybe I should become a cheerleader... And cheerlead at Duke.
Best seats in the house!
Class of 2014
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 20th, 2009, 7:15 am

CellR wrote:
devildeac wrote:

YAY!

Thanks.
Best seats in the house!
Um, I thought you said you were a :ymhiro:. I don't think Duke has had :ymhiro: cheerleaders for a very long time, if ever. You'd have to make some serious changes to be a Duke cheerleader, like become a o-+ . ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2009, 7:38 am

bjornolf wrote:
CellR wrote:
Best seats in the house!
Um, I thought you said you were a :ymhiro:. I don't think Duke has had :ymhiro: cheerleaders for a very long time, if ever. You'd have to make some serious changes to be a Duke cheerleader, like become a o-+ . ;)

%%-
Duke did used to have guys cheering. I wonder when and why they stopped.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 20th, 2009, 7:48 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
CellR wrote:
Best seats in the house!

%%-
This is a rumor of a rumor, but I heard that they had some tumbling accidents and decided to get rid of the "high risk" stuff. When they did so, the need for male cheerleaders, which do a lot of the lifting and supporting in those moves, disappeared.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 20th, 2009, 8:50 am

bjornolf wrote:
CellR wrote:
Best seats in the house!

%%-
This is a rumor of a rumor, but I heard that they had some tumbling accidents and decided to get rid of the "high risk" stuff. When they did so, the need for male cheerleaders, which do a lot of the lifting and supporting in those moves, disappeared.

%%-
That's fact, not fiction. One of the girls wasn't caught on an elevated tumbling move (pyramid?) and broke her neck. The big lifts and throws were outlawed, the guys weren't needed anymore, and they were eliminated. I think the prohibition extends to the visiting teams as well (at football games, where the visitors bring their cheerleading teams.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2009, 9:28 am

devildeac wrote:

YAY!

Thanks.
I look forward to the April 5 dance! Tell Claire - no pressure. ;)
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2009, 9:30 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: quote="CellR"

Best seats in the house! /quote

%%-

%%-
That's fact, not fiction. One of the girls wasn't caught on an elevated tumbling move (pyramid?) and broke her neck. The big lifts and throws were outlawed, the guys weren't needed anymore, and they were eliminated. I think the prohibition extends to the visiting teams as well (at football games, where the visitors bring their cheerleading teams.
I wonder how the GA Tech cheerleader that had the mini tramp accident many moons ago is doing? Apparently, the Duke campus isn't a good place for some things. That accident did away with the mini tramps.
Life is good!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 20th, 2009, 10:32 am

Yeah, I was kidding about becoming a cheerleader. Although I do know a UNC cheerleader... Pretty big guy, he was on sailing staff with me this summer. How terrible to be a :ymhiro: cheerleader at unc.
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 11:09 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote: This is a rumor of a rumor, but I heard that they had some tumbling accidents and decided to get rid of the "high risk" stuff. When they did so, the need for male cheerleaders, which do a lot of the lifting and supporting in those moves, disappeared.

%%-
And this is all of course not to mention that male cheerleaders are on the very short list of the worst things in the world.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 20th, 2009, 12:04 pm

wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote: This is a rumor of a rumor, but I heard that they had some tumbling accidents and decided to get rid of the "high risk" stuff. When they did so, the need for male cheerleaders, which do a lot of the lifting and supporting in those moves, disappeared.

%%-
And this is all of course not to mention that male cheerleaders are on the very short list of the worst things in the world.
Um, no they're not. Male cheerleaders can be very cute and lots of fun.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 12:35 pm

bjornolf wrote:
bjornolf wrote:[Maybe I should become a cheerleader... And cheerlead at Duke.

%%-

%%-
No direct info/source but this is mostly correct. They were not tumbling accidents but stunting accidents from pyramids or "tosses" of "flyers." I'm gonna guess about 20+ years ago. The guys were no longer needed for the stunts to toss the ladies in the air and then (ideally) catch them as they descended. I'd guess that the schools that still have the guys have the option of competing or perhaps having 2 squads, one for competitions and one for just cheering. NCSU has had excellent cheer squads for years, both for sports events and to compete.

My daughter did both for 6 years (2 middle school and 4 high school) and greatly enjoyed it. Her squads were all young ladies but some of the college squads we saw were coed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 12:38 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

%%-

%%-
Yea, what he said. I just didn't read far enough. But hey, at least I got 2 more posts out of it. :oops: :roll: :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 12:43 pm

wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

%%-
Disagree. The 2 guys who owned the cheer and tumble gym our daughter trained at for aobut 6 years were really good guys and taught her squads some great routines, tumbling, stunting and safety issues. They were nice people, too, and one of the guys told us a GREAT unc cheer story if any one is interested...(heh-heh) ;)