Moral Support Needed

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Moral Support Needed

Post by Turk » August 7th, 2009, 4:47 pm

windsor wrote:I see I'm not the only person who started smoking at Duke. I don't feel like quite so big a L-) now.
I must admit I was sorely tempted when I got to Duke, experimented with it, and unlike a former president, I definitely DID inhale. Durham had the aroma of fresh tobacco wafting on the fall breeze, and I thought it was quite pleasant (but after you light tobacco on fire? not so much). I could feel the damage to my lungs and throat when playing sports, so I stopped and never got hooked. I did pick up a small dip habit - Copenhagen or Kodiak - mostly for the golf course or solo car trips. I quit several years ago - no real reason - just figured it was one of those childish things that one needs to put aside some day (shots of Jaegermeister or Yukon Jack fell into the same category)....

WIndsor, you're no L-) I know you can do it!! Keep it up!!
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 7th, 2009, 5:07 pm

windsor wrote:

So quit buddy...is this your official 'quit day'?
Tomorrow is. We're taking the kids out to the Dairy Joy tonight. It's an old style drive-up hamburger and soft ice cream joint out in Weston. It's the kind of situation where I can't resist a Coke. I suppose it could be one of my 2 Cokes for this month but August is also the worst month for me migraine headache wise and I want to save my 2 Cokes for when I get a migraine. Yes, they help. It's probably psychological but they do help.

Cokes are very bad for you at the level that I used to drink them, 1-2 a day, everyday. People who drink at least one soda a day have something like 10 times the risk of developing diabetes. Diabetes doesn't kill you right away but it gets you eventually. But that's why I think getting down to 2 a month is OK. Even my doctor has told me that Coke isn't that bad a habit but I've done enough research on diabetes that I'm trying to kick Coke habit. Plus I want to lose weight. (The studies have also shown that switching to diet soda doesn't help that much on the diabetes side and the risk to your bones might be higher. The phosporous in soda is a risk factor for osteoporsis, among other things. NutraSweet isn't that good for people who get migraines either.)
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 7th, 2009, 5:14 pm

My father in law has smoked since he was 9 years old. He's quit a few times, but keeps going back. His doctor told him he had to quit or he was gonna die. He did the Chantix thing, but after all the nicotine was out of his system, they stopped covering the drug, and he went back to smoking. He's tried the gum, the patches, everything, but nothing has worked. Recently, we got him an electronic cigarette. You get all the nicotine without all the poisons and other bad stuff in the regular cigarettes, and you can smoke anywhere, since it's just water vapor you're breathing out and you don't breath second hand smoke all over people. Over time, you can lower the amount of nicotine in the refills until you're smoking no nicotine. While the initial layout is a little expensive, its much cheaper after that. My father in law was buying the cheap cigarettes at $30/carton. A carton worth of refills is about $20.

It took him a week or so to adjust, but he's doing really well on them. It might be worth a try.

http://www.smokingeverywhere.com/

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 7th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
windsor wrote:

Tomorrow is. We're taking the kids out to the Dairy Joy tonight. It's an old style drive-up hamburger and soft ice cream joint out in Weston. It's the kind of situation where I can't resist a Coke. I suppose it could be one of my 2 Cokes for this month but August is also the worst month for me migraine headache wise and I want to save my 2 Cokes for when I get a migraine. Yes, they help. It's probably psychological but they do help.

Cokes are very bad for you at the level that I used to drink them, 1-2 a day, everyday. People who drink at least one soda a day have something like 10 times the risk of developing diabetes. Diabetes doesn't kill you right away but it gets you eventually. But that's why I think getting down to 2 a month is OK. Even my doctor has told me that Coke isn't that bad a habit but I've done enough research on diabetes that I'm trying to kick Coke habit. Plus I want to lose weight. (The studies have also shown that switching to diet soda doesn't help that much on the diabetes side and the risk to your bones might be higher. The phosporous in soda is a risk factor for osteoporsis, among other things. NutraSweet isn't that good for people who get migraines either.)
I was up to a 2 per day Dr. Pepper habit for YEARS. I hadn't gone a week without one in years. It was a TOTAL addiction. I felt weird if I went a day without it. At my wife's request, I gave it up ALL sodas for my New Year's Resolution. It was REALLY hard, but other than two ginger ales when I had stomach flu a couple months ago (my wife promised me it didn't count, it's the only way she could get me to drink it), a drop of soda has not passed these lips since Jan. 1st. I'm gonna go back to one a month or so after the next new year, but I've made it 8 months, 6 days, 17 hours, and 17 minutes without a soft drink, and I'm pretty proud of myself.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 7th, 2009, 6:43 pm

Best wishes in your efforts Windsor. My mom has successfully quit smoking after a 30+ year habit and I know she is much better for it.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 7th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Turk wrote: I did pick up a small dip habit - Copenhagen or Kodiak - mostly for the golf course or solo car trips.
Due to there seeming to be a few recent lyric quotations lately, here is my small offering...

"Copenhagen
What a wad of flavor =p~
Copenhagen
You can see it in my smile :D
Copenhagen
Do yourself a favor ;)
Chew Copenhagen
Drive them purty girls wild" :ymhug:

RE Keen

:-j
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 7th, 2009, 6:58 pm

DukePA wrote: I used the patch. Stick with Chantix.
The problem with the patch is that if you roll them too tight...they won't stay lit. :D
Humor is good medicine too.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
windsor wrote:

As an herbal tea/tisane drinker, the switch to www.teavana.com helped me out a lot. Rooibos is a godsend.

I also used to get plenty of migranes. They have gone down, but when I do get them, I DO allow myself to take Excedrin migraine, loaded with caffeine. For me, it's the most effective medicine to stop a migraine.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 8th, 2009, 1:36 am

Windsor, congrats on your decision to stop smoking!

A possible story for motivation -

My mom was a major smoker when she and my dad were first married in the late 60's. My dad went to Vietnam, my mom got a dog to keep her company; a great, smart little mini schnauzer named Pandora. In the meantime, mom basically survived on smokes and caffeine.

Pandy was around 8 when she started having problems walking. Vet said she had a tumor pressing on her spinal column. The dog had lung cancer. My mom's best friend during the hardest time of her life, was dying because of my mom's smoking habit. Pandy passed away about 4 weeks later, mom stopped smoking right after that.

So, maybe those licks of labby love will also serve as a reminder why you're giving up the cancer sticks! Good luck!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 8th, 2009, 3:09 am

If my future mother-in-law is quitting smoking maybe I should start thinking about doing the same thing...
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 8th, 2009, 7:50 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Windsor, congrats on your decision to stop smoking!

A possible story for motivation -

My mom was a major smoker when she and my dad were first married in the late 60's. My dad went to Vietnam, my mom got a dog to keep her company; a great, smart little mini schnauzer named Pandora. In the meantime, mom basically survived on smokes and caffeine.

Pandy was around 8 when she started having problems walking. Vet said she had a tumor pressing on her spinal column. The dog had lung cancer. My mom's best friend during the hardest time of her life, was dying because of my mom's smoking habit. Pandy passed away about 4 weeks later, mom stopped smoking right after that.

So, maybe those licks of labby love will also serve as a reminder why you're giving up the cancer sticks! Good luck!
Oh...that's so sad. Thank you for sharing it - I'm sure visualizing my vet telling me I essentially killed my dog will knock down some of those lizard brain cravings.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 8th, 2009, 7:51 am

colchar wrote:If my future mother-in-law is quitting smoking maybe I should start thinking about doing the same thing...
You should. Really. For all the reasons you already know...before you sound like me in the morning - hacking my brains out.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2009, 7:59 am

colchar wrote:If my future mother-in-law is quitting smoking maybe I should start thinking about doing the same thing...
Whatever it takes... and if you need some support too, we'll be there!! :-bd

The one thing I won't do for you is give you a few extra Tony Stewart picks. ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 8th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
windsor wrote:

First, and most importantly, best of luck Windsor! I've never smoked, but I know it's not easy to quit. Vibes coming your way.

Bostondevil, I can totally sympathize on the migraines. Had one a couple of weeks ago that literally made me sick to my stomach. (Almost got sick on the elevator leaving work.) My boss also gets them and is going to refer me to his headache doctor. The good tip I got from him that usually helps is to take an Excedrin and a Tylenol. There's too much caffeine in the normal Excedrin dose (2 tabs), but one is okay. He got this advice from the headache doctor, so obviously the caffeine does help. I think I knew why at some point or other but can't remember now. You are also correct about both NutraSweet and the phosphates in soda. NutraSweet actually triggers migraines in some people; I've started staying away from it since it does seem to trigger headaches for me. Back in my days as medical biochem course co-director I learned about phosphates in soda leaching calcium from bones. Definitely scary.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 8th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Best of luck. If you quit successfully now and stay quit for 5-10 years, your risk of vascular disease and/or cancer will be little different than if you had never smoked. Plus, there are all the other benefits of less lung/upper respiratory infections, better taste and smell, less cough and your kissability increases dramatically. :D ;) ;;) :-*

I'll tell my patients to look at the scar on their chest from their bypass surgery (or their hospital bill/s from the heart attack and/or stents) and then, every time they have the urge/desire to smoke again, carefully think about whether they wish to start down that road to ANOTHER procedure. :(( :((
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 9th, 2009, 9:32 am

devildeac wrote:Best of luck. If you quit successfully now and stay quit for 5-10 years, your risk of vascular disease and/or cancer will be little different than if you had never smoked. Plus, there are all the other benefits of less lung/upper respiratory infections, better taste and smell, less cough and your kissability increases dramatically. :D ;) ;;) :-*

I'll tell my patients to look at the scar on their chest from their bypass surgery (or their hospital bill/s from the heart attack and/or stents) and then, every time they have the urge/desire to smoke again, carefully think about whether they wish to start down that road to ANOTHER procedure. :(( :((
And think of all the money you will save! Colchar - this should be especially of interest to you since you're a student. It's like a HUGE tax free raise! What else could you buy with all that money - every month!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 9th, 2009, 9:42 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:Best of luck. If you quit successfully now and stay quit for 5-10 years, your risk of vascular disease and/or cancer will be little different than if you had never smoked. Plus, there are all the other benefits of less lung/upper respiratory infections, better taste and smell, less cough and your kissability increases dramatically. :D ;) ;;) :-*

And think of all the money you will save! Colchar - this should be especially of interest to you since you're a student. It's like a HUGE tax free raise! What else could you buy with all that money - every month!
What else could I buy....well for the moment CHANTIX - that crap is expensive. In a stunning case of Insurance Company Logic - they have no problem paying for chemo therapy, bypass surgery, COPD treatment - or any cost related to consequences of smoking...but they will not pay for anything that might help you quit smoking. I don't know what chemo costs - but I'm betting you could buy a freakin truckload of Chantix for the same $$.

DD - when he was writing the chantix script my doctor told me "there are side effects that prevent people from being able to take this - if you tell me you can't use it you better have a good reason - and NIGHTMARES is not a good reason. I've had three patients tell me they couldn't quit because Chantix gave them nightmares - you want nightmares? Die of lung cancer that's a nightmare...needing oxygen to walk from your living room to the bathroom...that's a nightmare. I don't want to hear about nightmares!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 9th, 2009, 12:25 pm

windsor wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

What else could I buy....well for the moment CHANTIX - that crap is expensive. In a stunning case of Insurance Company Logic - they have no problem paying for chemo therapy, bypass surgery, COPD treatment - or any cost related to consequences of smoking...but they will not pay for anything that might help you quit smoking. I don't know what chemo costs - but I'm betting you could buy a freakin truckload of Chantix for the same $$.

That is dumb but I had the same issue when I was on Zyban. Luckily, my doctor told me how to take it as an aid to quitting smoking (daily dosage, etc.) but then prescribed it to me as if it was being used to treat depression (it was originally developed as an anti-depressant) and the insurance company covered it.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 1:08 pm

windsor wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

DD - when he was writing the chantix script my doctor told me "there are side effects that prevent people from being able to take this - if you tell me you can't use it you better have a good reason - and NIGHTMARES is not a good reason. I've had three patients tell me they couldn't quit because Chantix gave them nightmares - you want nightmares? Die of lung cancer that's a nightmare...needing oxygen to walk from your living room to the bathroom...that's a nightmare. I don't want to hear about nightmares!
At this risk of sounding like the PPB, this is why we need some sort of health care reform. Insurance companies won't cover prevention, even though it would ultimately be cheaper. The examples of this are endless. I wasn't aware of the Chantix one, but it doesn't surprise me. Add it to the long, growing list. And people wonder why health care costs are so high.

Stepping down from soap box...
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2009, 1:12 pm

colchar wrote:
windsor wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Best of luck.

That is dumb but I had the same issue when I was on Zyban. Luckily, my doctor told me how to take it as an aid to quitting smoking (daily dosage, etc.) but then prescribed it to me as if it was being used to treat depression (it was originally developed as an anti-depressant) and the insurance company covered it.
I have similar problems when I prescribe Niaspan (niacin) and/or Lovaza (fish oil) to folks for their lipid disorders. Their drug plans deny them saying they are vitamins/nutritional supplements and are available OTC.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.