College?!?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: College?!?

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 1:49 pm

TillyGalore wrote: Does that include me too? I'm considering getting a master's over yonder. Duke doesn't offer the program I am interested in.
Grad school is totally different. Almost everybody I know claims their undergrad alma mater first and foremost.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 5th, 2009, 3:13 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
colchar wrote:
wilson wrote:
One thing I'm sure of: Go to carolina, and I'll see to it that you're banned.
I'm not kidding.

And I'll support him in that. This should remain a Tar Hole free zone.
Does that include me too? I'm considering getting a master's over yonder. Duke doesn't offer the program I am interested in.

Then choose another program.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 5th, 2009, 3:14 pm

cl15876 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
cl15876 wrote:Wow - very cool! And Duke doesn't have anything to support this? :-o :-?
Duke's Master's is geared towards teaching, I think it's a K-12 program or it's just a high school program. I can't remember. Just knew right of way it wouldn't work for me.

As an employee, Duke will help me pay for my degree.
I was just checking out their programs... I think you might be right on the education side, but the medical physics sounded pretty cool maybe coupled with the Master of Arts in Teaching!!! Once you get your Masters you'll want to get your Ph.D., right? :-bd

Not if she's smart she won't.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 5th, 2009, 3:27 pm

colchar wrote:Then choose another program.

There is a possibility of getting a Master's in Medical Education starting at State, Duke is working with State on it. But, they are in the very, very early stages of creating that program.
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 5th, 2009, 3:28 pm

colchar wrote:Not if she's smart she won't.
Oh, I'm smart. I'm very smart. ;) ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 5th, 2009, 4:10 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Tilly, you'll get very good training and education in graduate school at Carolina. I have relatives who can attest to that. (You may recall that I told you my family is integrated.... my brother's branch are blue eyed Carolina graduates in a variety of areas.... my sister's Duke undergrad and Carolina law... my niece is an NC State veterinary medicine grad and my nephew is an SMU grad.) You can think of yourself as the graduate school version of the Robertson Scholars. :ymapplause:
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 5th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Tilly, you'll get very good training and education in graduate school at Carolina. I have relatives who can attest to that. (You may recall that I told you my family is integrated.... my brother's branch are blue eyed Carolina graduates in a variety of areas.... my sister's Duke undergrad and Carolina law... my niece is an NC State veterinary medicine grad and my nephew is an SMU grad.) You can think of yourself as the graduate school version of the Robertson Scholars. :ymapplause:
That's what I want to be.
Class of 2014
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 5th, 2009, 7:57 pm

CellR wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: Oh, I'm smart. I'm very smart. ;) ;)
That's what I want to be.
If you aspire to be a Robertson Scholar, you have two choices for where to apply: Duke or Carolina. You'll attend classes at both.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: If you aspire to be a Robertson Scholar, you have two choices for where to apply: Duke or Carolina. You'll attend classes at both.
If you aspire to be a Robertson Scholar and to continue to exist in my (and colchar's) world, however, you have but one choice.
Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Ben63 » August 5th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Being someone who just went through all that college crap, let me tell you it is a major pain in the ass, but I'm guessing you've already figured that out. Just get it done and over with as soon as possible and make your decision as early as possible. I didn't make my final decision until the day I graduated. Huge mistake. Making the call lifts a huge burden off your shoulders and you can enjoy senior year that much more. The whole process is stressful but just getting it done is important. Do NOT let it drag. Fell free to ask me any questions about the process. Oh and you might want to add Pitt to that list. ;) ;)
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 5th, 2009, 9:48 pm

Ben63 wrote:I didn't make my final decision until the day I graduated. Huge mistake. Making the call lifts a huge burden off your shoulders and you can enjoy senior year that much more.
I echo this comment...but it turned out well in the end.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 5th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Visit visit visit. I fell in love with Duke during the visit. I had planned on Yale being my next choice, but after visiting it dropped to the bottom..... definitely visit to get a feel for what the campus and area is like.
-- DukeUsul
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 5th, 2009, 10:39 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Visit visit visit. I fell in love with Duke during the visit. I had planned on Yale being my next choice, but after visiting it dropped to the bottom..... definitely visit to get a feel for what the campus and area is like.
This is an excellent point.... right up there with matching the majors or programs at the college you choose with your interests. Why do you think athletes visit before they commit?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 10:42 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Visit visit visit. I fell in love with Duke during the visit. I had planned on Yale being my next choice, but after visiting it dropped to the bottom..... definitely visit to get a feel for what the campus and area is like.
This is an excellent point.... right up there with matching the majors or programs at the college you choose with your interests. Why do you think athletes visit before they commit?
I echo this as well. I was looking really hard at Boston University, visited, and it didn't feel right. I found it very telling that I ventured out into the Boston February to find a place that was airing the first Duke-Carolina game, which was played during that visit. I came home knowing I needed to be at Duke, and in typical seventeen year-old fashion, not worrying at all about that little matter of, um, getting in. I left that for my parents.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 5th, 2009, 10:53 pm

I visited Duke early in November as a senior in high school. We drove up toward the Chapel and there was not a cloud in the sky, the leaves were varied hues of red, orange and yellow, it was about 60 degrees and I fell in love with the place. I grew up in NJ, did not get into Princeton so my decision was rather easy the following May :D . No regrets.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 6th, 2009, 1:48 am

I never visited any college campus - Duke was the only place I wanted to go. I was fortunate to get in and, even better, I loved it once there.

Good luck with your choice - I'm sure you will make a fine choice and remain a member in good standing on this board. :D
Life is good!
Turk

Post by Turk » August 6th, 2009, 2:09 am

Winter is clearly when the southern schools have their edge. I recall leaving the gray March slop in Pittsburgh to look at UVa and Duke. When we got to Durham, it was 70 degrees and the trees already had leaves, and like Billy Ray Valentine, I thought to myself, "Yeah, I'd like to hang with you guys for a little while..."
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 6th, 2009, 3:52 pm

devildeac wrote:I visited Duke early in November as a senior in high school. We drove up toward the Chapel and there was not a cloud in the sky, the leaves were varied hues of red, orange and yellow, it was about 60 degrees and I fell in love with the place. I grew up in NJ, did not get into Princeton so my decision was rather easy the following May :D . No regrets.
Sounds a LOT like my visit ...same love at first sight.

(as an aside...I did get into Princeton but decided against going to college 10 minutes from my grandparents' house)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 6th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I visited Duke for the first time with my folks the summer before senior year - we were either driving north (from Ft. Lauderdale to NY) in June or south back to Florida in August. I remember seeing the particle accelerator in the bottom of the Physics building. Was very impressed. To this day, it is the only time I ever saw it. I consider this my "unofficial" visit.

I made a college trip in late September, visiting Duke and GaTech. I flew up to Duke, had an interview, and stayed with someone from my high school (I didn't know him, but he had volunteered to host anyone wanting to come up). He was a Delta Tau Delta and I stayed in the dorm. I learned that they had an endless supply of kegs during the year. The next morning, despite my hangover, I flew to Atlanta for a noontime interview. It was fine, but they didn't have any sort of organized tour set up, and the interviewer just sort of said "go anywhere you like". Well, the campus is part of Atlanta, not like Duke being a beautiful world unto itself. I walked one block towards some building he had pointed to, then turned around and called a cab and went to the airport. Nope, wasn't going to GaTech. Never made a trip to Cornell - I only applied there because my best friend in NY had said he might go to Ithaca College (Cornell was also in Ithaca). When he said he wasn't going there, I lost interest in Cornell. Did I mention he eventually DID go to Ithaca...

Anyway, I applied early decision to all three engineering schools (I didn't know you were only supposed to apply to one school early decision - I wanted to make MY decision early). I was accepted all three and decided to go to Duke because it was:
A) ~halfway between NY and FL
B) had a beautiful campus with a particle accelerator in the basement of the Physics building

Athletics never entered into the decision. I was a fan of pro sports, not college. The school had a baseball team I could try out for, and that was enough for me. My, how things changed once I was on campus! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » August 6th, 2009, 8:58 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:(Cornell was also in Ithaca)

Still is actually...