Site and Forum Suggestion List

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Site and Forum Suggestion List

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 9th, 2009, 10:37 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Sue71 wrote:Question, & I may have missed it somewhere, but what is the time available to edit a post? Tilly replied to one of mine, and it was at 8 min when I saw it... & could no longer edit. Is it a time thing? Because there was a reply?
I think I set it for 5 minutes. It can be anytime we choose, but I think 5 minutes is pretty reasonable. The mods can edit any post at any time, so if you know you do need to change something, let one of them know.
I think longer would be better. Many a time I have edited a post 15 minutes after posting. :o
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 9th, 2009, 10:39 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Sue71 wrote:Question, & I may have missed it somewhere, but what is the time available to edit a post? Tilly replied to one of mine, and it was at 8 min when I saw it... & could no longer edit. Is it a time thing? Because there was a reply?
I think I set it for 5 minutes. It can be anytime we choose, but I think 5 minutes is pretty reasonable. The mods can edit any post at any time, so if you know you do need to change something, let one of them know.
I think longer would be better. Many a time I have edited a post 15 minutes after posting. :o
15 minutes sounds reasonable! I think the other new-old-site, had an indefinite edit capability! The 15 minutes will alleviate the mods having to be burdened!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 9th, 2009, 10:42 pm

The people have spoken! I'll go change it now.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 10th, 2009, 12:23 am

Well obviously I changed the style of the board, but it appears the quote button is missing. If I find out it's not built in, then we'll move on to another style. Looking for something more Duke blue than the last one.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 10th, 2009, 3:04 am

Any chance you can make the colours different for quotes and original posts? With my colour vision I sometimes find it a bit difficult to distinguish between the two. More of a contrast between the two sections of a post would be a huge help.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 10th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Is there any way to include an icon that distinguishes polls from normal threads? Or does it already exist and I'm just missing it?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » April 10th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Is there a way to jump to the newest, unread message in a thread, a la the DBR board?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 10th, 2009, 2:30 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Is there a way to jump to the newest, unread message in a thread, a la the DBR board?
Yes, it's a little icon next to the thread name. Click that, it's not the big circular one.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » April 10th, 2009, 3:00 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Is there a way to jump to the newest, unread message in a thread, a la the DBR board?
Yes, it's a little icon next to the thread name. Click that, it's not the big circular one.
I see it now - muchas gracias!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 10th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Is there any way to give us the ability to post a link while having that link appear as part of the text of our post (I think you know what I mean, I just can't think of a better way to describe it - what I want is to link to something like Wikipedia but to be able to type out Wikipedia and have that appear as the link in the post). I know how to post a link here but have no idea how to insert text.

If we already have the ability to do that, can someone tell me how to do it?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 10th, 2009, 11:06 pm

colchar wrote:Is there any way to give us the ability to post a link while having that link appear as part of the text of our post ?
We do have that ability, but it's a little tricky. When you post a link, goto the website you want and copy the URL. Then type what you want the words to read as. For example... this is a link. I highlighted back over the words "this is a link", and selected the URL button. When you do, you will see two new brackets around your highlighted text. The first brackets are the most important. Right after the letters "url", type an equals sign, and then paste what you copied. So you will see url=http://blahblahblah. Leave the other bracket untouched.
What I am trying to find out how to do is make those links open in a separate window.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 10th, 2009, 11:10 pm

Awesome. Thanks.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2009, 3:42 am

Is there any way, when quoting a previous post, to set the software to quote only that post and not all previous posts that that one might have quoted (I think the limit is three)?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 11th, 2009, 7:23 am

colchar wrote:Is there any way, when quoting a previous post, to set the software to quote only that post and not all previous posts that that one might have quoted (I think the limit is three)?
It does appear that you can only have 3 embedded quotes in a message post. Otherwise the work around seems to be to edit what is between the [qoute=<name>] text ... {/quote] html like enclosures and respond individually and you can have numerous single quotes in that situation
colchar wrote: ... I think the limit is three)?
Testing the limit, this would be #2
Testing the limit, this would be #3
Testing the limit, this would be #4
Testing the limit, this would be #5,6,7, (the system would not let me embed more than 3 quotes.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2009, 7:30 am

I was hoping there might be a way to set things so that it would only quote the post to which we are immediately replying but without us having to manually remove previously quoted posts.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 11th, 2009, 9:27 am

colchar wrote:I was hoping there might be a way to set things so that it would only quote the post to which we are immediately replying but without us having to manually remove previously quoted posts.
SInce the previous quotes are part of the post you quoting, they get embedded too. Manual editing is the only way to take them away.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2009, 10:49 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote: SInce the previous quotes are part of the post you quoting, they get embedded too. Manual editing is the only way to take them away.

Shitty.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 11th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Silly question :oops: , but:
Is there any way to search for a phrase in all the threads on a board?

I know how to search for a phrase in a thread.
Thanks,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 11th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Lavabe wrote:Silly question :oops: , but:
Is there any way to search for a phrase in all the threads on a board?

I know how to search for a phrase in a thread.
Thanks,
Lavabe
Lavabe - Very good question and the search capability appears on the main index and above the last post column when you enter forums (like Our House).

How can I search a forum or forums?
Enter a search term in the search box located on the index, forum or topic pages. Advanced search can be accessed by clicking the “Advance Search” link which is available on all pages on the forum. How to access the search may depend on the style used.

I searched for pastrami and found your post! :D
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 11th, 2009, 3:27 pm

cl15876 wrote:Lavabe - Very good question and the search capability appears on the main index and above the last post column when you enter forums (like Our House).

How can I search a forum or forums?
Enter a search term in the search box located on the index, forum or topic pages. Advanced search can be accessed by clicking the “Advance Search” link which is available on all pages on the forum. How to access the search may depend on the style used.

I searched for pastrami and found your post! :D
Many thanks. It's the upper right side of the screen. I see!!
FWIW, it's a very easy SEARCH feature. And the jump to post works well.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.