Muir Woods Painting

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

McGrupp
PW in training
PW in training

Re: Muir Woods Painting

Post by McGrupp » July 10th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Wow, beautiful painting. You are really, really good. All types of painting are mysterious to me, but watercolor is especially impressive. You have a gift for the lightness of light... if that makes sense.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 10th, 2009, 9:20 pm

McGrupp wrote:Wow, beautiful painting. You are really, really good. All types of painting are mysterious to me, but watercolor is especially impressive. You have a gift for the lightness of light... if that makes sense.
Thank you very much. The contrasts of strong light is what interests me most in painting. Any scene can have great composition, but I won't be interested unless there is great contrast. You don't often see this exploration in watercolor becuase intrinsically the medium suggests that colors won't be as deep as I use them, being that it's tranparent in nature. I still explore the use of the wash, but counter it with very opaqau applicatons of color. My favorite color in my pallette is indigo, out of the tube it is very rich in color and depth. Mixed with burnt umber it becomes even darker, but still retaining color. And when the need is there, I love using black as well.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 10:23 am

I've never been to Muir Woods. I'm curious where is it?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 11th, 2009, 10:30 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I've never been to Muir Woods. I'm curious where is it?
Just north of San Francisco, about 20 minutes outside of the city. It's an amazing dichotomy of the surrounding area. Nestled in these steep grassy hills, bordering cliffs that fall into the ocean, is this outstanding grove of redwoods. You wouldn't think it would be easy to hide away trees that tall, but you aren't aware of their presence until you are standing on the path that leads through them. A really mystical place.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 10:36 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I've never been to Muir Woods. I'm curious where is it?
Just north of San Francisco, about 20 minutes outside of the city. It's an amazing dichotomy of the surrounding area. Nestled in these steep grassy hills, bordering cliffs that fall into the ocean, is this outstanding grove of redwoods. You wouldn't think it would be easy to hide away trees that tall, but you aren't aware of their presence until you are standing on the path that leads through them. A really mystical place.
Ahhh, thanks. It's been years since I've been to San Fran(1970's when my aunt lived and worked there for one of the local TV stations).