DinK visit to Triangle area?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: DinK visit to Triangle area?

Post by DukieInKansas » July 21st, 2009, 11:35 pm

Don't look to me for suggestions - I've determined that I was a rather boring Duke student. I didn't get off campus to eat very often. I remember cheap wings at Darryl's (long gone I'm sure) and fried chicken at some place downtown where you parked in the abandoned gas station next door. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not even sure if I've ever been to the Angus Barn. If I went, it was only once.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 21st, 2009, 11:47 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Don't look to me for suggestions - I've determined that I was a rather boring Duke student. I didn't get off campus to eat very often. I remember cheap wings at Darryl's (long gone I'm sure) and fried chicken at some place downtown where you parked in the abandoned gas station next door. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not even sure if I've ever been to the Angus Barn. If I went, it was only once.
Darryl's is gone. Neither the building nor the business exist any more.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » July 22nd, 2009, 12:29 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:DD, you have any suggestions? The Barn is always great, but pricey. Can't believe I just said that...
You blasphemer!

Casalinga?
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 22nd, 2009, 8:32 am

If you've never been to the Barn, you HAVE to try it. I make it a point to go there EVERY time I'm in Durham. Make sure you're hungry though. It may be expensive, but they give you your money's worth.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 22nd, 2009, 8:36 am

bjornolf wrote:If you've never been to the Barn, you HAVE to try it. I make it a point to go there EVERY time I'm in Durham. Make sure you're hungry though. It may be expensive, but they give you your money's worth.

%%-

Uh, I can't afford Angus Barn right now, so am nixing this idea.
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 22nd, 2009, 8:55 am

TillyGalore wrote:
bjornolf wrote:If you've never been to the Barn, you HAVE to try it. I make it a point to go there EVERY time I'm in Durham. Make sure you're hungry though. It may be expensive, but they give you your money's worth.

%%-

What Tilly said.

I'd like something mid-priced, maybe one of the Ale Houses - burgers, sandwiches and real main dishes if you want, where prices range from ~ $7 - $15+. Of course, there should also be adult beverages available ;) I guess Tyler's Tap Room in Durham would be OK - are the Bulls home tomorrow night? I wouldn't want to go there if there is a ballgame crowd there - too busy. I want to get home by about 9 or 9:30 p.m., so this will not be a long night for me. I'd really prefer the Raleigh area for that reason.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 22nd, 2009, 9:20 am

TillyGalore wrote:

%%-

I live in cattle country, so I'm ok with not going to the Barn. Watching price is always good for me especially since this seems to be my traveling summer.
Life is good!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 22nd, 2009, 11:55 am

CathyCA wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Don't look to me for suggestions - I've determined that I was a rather boring Duke student. I didn't get off campus to eat very often. I remember cheap wings at Darryl's (long gone I'm sure) and fried chicken at some place downtown where you parked in the abandoned gas station next door. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not even sure if I've ever been to the Angus Barn. If I went, it was only once.
Do you remember their beef ribs? Good GOD! I miss those. :ymapplause:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 22nd, 2009, 12:21 pm

Ozzie, Daryl, how about Carolina Ale house in Brier Creek?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 22nd, 2009, 12:35 pm

If I were there I'd host up a grilling event with ribs and 'cue that you couldn't beat at a restaraunt. Maybe when you get this way... :)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 22nd, 2009, 12:39 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Ozzie, Daryl, how about carolina Ale house in Brier Creek?
Well, that's about 10 minutes closer than going to Derm. Maybe 15. It's alright with me - I've eaten their before. If only they would change their name.........

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 22nd, 2009, 12:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Well, that's about 10 minutes closer than going to Derm. Maybe 15. It's alright with me - I've eaten their before. If only they would change their name.........
The Bulls are not in town, so we could do Tyler's. Am hesitant to commit as it is a lot closer for me, than you, thus am trying to be cognizant of your drive.

Any other Ale type places in Raleigh? Am drawing a blank.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 22nd, 2009, 1:52 pm

captmojo wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Do you remember their beef ribs? Good GOD! I miss those. :ymapplause:
I loved Darryl's when I was at Duke. I was SO disappointed to find it gone when I went back. A buddy and I went there and got THE BEST service I've ever gotten at a restaurant... very friendly, brought us tons of cornbread (I LOVED their cornbread...even served in the skillet), filled our drinks EVERY time before they were quite empty, even got a fork and shoved it under the table leg to stop it from rocking. We gave that guy a 35% tip, most I've ever tipped in my life. And the place was even pretty busy when we went. We were pretty impressed. We must have been, how many college students you know pony up a 35% tip? ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 22nd, 2009, 1:53 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
The Bulls are not in town, so we could do Tyler's. Am hesitant to commit as it is a lot closer for me, than you, thus am trying to be cognizant of your drive.

Any other Ale type places in Raleigh? Am drawing a blank.
There is one in the Crossroads Mall area (in front of the BJ's, not the main "Crossroad"s area. There is also one (different name) on Old Wake Forest Rd, near DD's house. Either is fine with me.

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 22nd, 2009, 1:55 pm

bjornolf wrote:
I loved Darryl's when I was at Duke. I was SO disappointed to find it gone when I went back.
The Darryl's chain was owned by Thad Eure, who owned the Angus Barn. When he died and his daughter took over (she still runs the AB), they sold Darryl's to a national company, who ran it into the ground and then closed the stores.

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 22nd, 2009, 2:16 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:There is one in the Crossroads Mall area (in front of the BJ's, not the main "Crossroad"s area. There is also one (different name) on Old Wake Forest Rd, near DD's house. Either is fine with me.
My perception of getting to Cary at the time we'd be traveling is that it would be a long, slow ride due to traffic. Let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm okay with the place near Old Wake Forest Road.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 22nd, 2009, 3:53 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:There is one in the Crossroads Mall area (in front of the BJ's, not the main "Crossroad"s area. There is also one (different name) on Old Wake Forest Rd, near DD's house. Either is fine with me.
My perception of getting to Cary at the time we'd be traveling is that it would be a long, slow ride due to traffic. Let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm okay with the place near Old Wake Forest Road.
Yeah, you're right about that. Getting through the RTP on 40 can be a bitch. Of course, you'd take 70 to 540 to Falls of Nuese (which eventually changes into Old Wake Forest) towards town (against the bad flow) to get to the other one. 540 might be heavy, but not too bad. DD, what do you think?

DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » July 22nd, 2009, 4:03 pm

I hope Ima FacultiWyfe can join us.

DukeUsul mentioned an interest also.
Life is good!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » July 22nd, 2009, 4:31 pm

I have had a meeting pop up for some freelance web work I do. Coincidentally, said meeting will be occurring 5-7ish at the Wild Turkey Lounge at the Angus Barn. :D If you guys find a place near there (Brier-Creek-ish) I'll try to stop by to at least say hi!
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 22nd, 2009, 10:26 pm

I am having some surgery Thursday afternoon so I'm thinking I am out of commission for Thursday evening but would/could welcome a few visitors/well wishers at home...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.