2013 Schedule

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2013 Schedule

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 1st, 2013, 2:06 pm

Bob Green wrote:I have no idea if these players are starters or even on the two deep, but Pitt has dismissed a TE and DB, and suspended a DT and freshman QB:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... liams-team

The schedule thread seems like the logical place to discuss events concerning 2013 opponents such as Pitt. And, oh by the way, the last football game I attended in Wallace Wade prior to joining the Navy and galavanting around Asia for 30 years was against Pitt (Tony Dorsett and Matt Cavanaugh). They went undefeated and won the National Championship that year. But it is 2013 and Tony Dorsett ain't walking through that door!
Interesting, although a glance at their names shows that only Carswell (the TE) had seen any time on the field. He doesn't have a ton of numbers, but his average yards per carry were nice with around 11. He only had 13 receptions though, so I don't think he'll be sorely missed.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 2nd, 2013, 12:24 pm

Who will be back up QB behind Anthony Boone this season?
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » May 3rd, 2013, 4:52 am

Brandon Connette and Parker Boehme. I expect we will see Connette in the same role he has previously played in short yardage situations plus in the game at TE and RB, for a couple plays each game, while true freshman Parker Boehme will be on the sidelines not playing a single down unless Boone is injured.
The Football Fan
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by The Football Fan » May 3rd, 2013, 11:46 pm

So, you're saying we have a chance against Pitt.... :D

I just hope we come out of the gate strong again as I want to make sure we cement a strong recruiting class. If we get another bowl game, I think we could pull in a full stack of 3 star guys with any 2 star dude offset by a 4 star. Getting at least 6 wins will be key to finishing the recruiting class strong.

We've got to hit that point where we have some 4 star guys and a stable of 3 stars if we're going to compete regularly for ACC championships.

We need more games to have the feel of being almost in the bag wins...not just probable. To do that, we've still got to up the talent.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 4th, 2013, 7:06 am

The Football Fan wrote:So, you're saying we have a chance against Pitt.... :D
Absolutely.
The Football Fan wrote:I just hope we come out of the gate strong again as I want to make sure we cement a strong recruiting class. If we get another bowl game, I think we could pull in a full stack of 3 star guys with any 2 star dude offset by a 4 star. Getting at least 6 wins will be key to finishing the recruiting class strong.
We must start strong and stay healthy. With four of our last six games on the road, we need to be at full strength in November.
The Football Fan wrote:We need more games to have the feel of being almost in the bag wins...not just probable.
I'm looking forward to the day when I look at the schedule and can count three or four ACC games as "in the bag wins" the day the schedule is announced.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 4th, 2013, 9:36 am

Bob Green wrote: I'm looking forward to the day when I look at the schedule and can count three or four ACC games as "in the bag wins" the day the schedule is announced.
I'm not sure any team in the ACC can look at their schedule and say that, not even FSU. (Although their fans have an easier time saying that than most.)
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 4th, 2013, 12:49 pm

WE ARE DUKE!!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 4th, 2013, 1:16 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Bob Green wrote: I'm looking forward to the day when I look at the schedule and can count three or four ACC games as "in the bag wins" the day the schedule is announced.
I'm not sure any team in the ACC can look at their schedule and say that, not even FSU. (Although their fans have an easier time saying that than most.)
I know quite a few delusional fans of unc (and VT, too, for that matter) who say that. "Delusional" is the operative word in that sentence. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 4th, 2013, 2:32 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm not sure any team in the ACC can look at their schedule and say that, not even FSU. (Although their fans have an easier time saying that than most.)
Nothing is guaranteed but I believe FSU and Clemson can both come close to saying it with Maryland, Boston College, Wake Forest, and Syracuse on their schedule in 2013. Both teams will win three of those games. Add in Pitt for FSU and Virginia for Clemson and there are four "in the bag" type games.

I just glad Duke doesn't have to play either one this year.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 22nd, 2013, 12:14 pm

Here is a nice article on Virginia's backfield shuffle:

http://www.accsports.com/teams/virginia ... inues-.php

I got nothing against Virginia, but it doesn't bother me to see Mike London have problems.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 31st, 2013, 11:53 am

Bob Green wrote:Here is a nice article on Virginia's backfield shuffle:

http://www.accsports.com/teams/virginia ... inues-.php

I got nothing against Virginia, but it doesn't bother me to see Mike London have problems.
And now there is this.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/qb-phil ... d-virginia

Earth to Mike London: Philip Sims didn't go to UVA to get a world class education. He did so to play football, after he realized he couldn't find the field at Alabama, and discovered he could get a "my daddy is sick and your school is allegedly close to him" waiver to play immediately.

Cut the sanctimonious hogwash. Football wise, you are no different than unc, just with better colors. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 31st, 2013, 2:39 pm

Heather Dinich says on her blog that Wake will be our most important game this year. Hard to argue with that, but it's also easy to find others that stand out.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/5 ... ame-duke-2
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2013, 11:00 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Heather Dinich says on her blog that Wake will be our most important game this year. Hard to argue with that, but it's also easy to find others that stand out.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/5 ... ame-duke-2
It has probably been written before, but I believe all the games are important.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 1st, 2013, 8:18 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Hard to argue with that, but it's also easy to find others that stand out.
I agree. Winning on the road will be critical this year starting with at Memphis in Week 2. In conference, at Virginia and at Wake Forest standout.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 2nd, 2013, 11:32 am

Iron Duke #1471997.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 2nd, 2013, 4:28 pm

Excellent article, thanks for the link. With Rocco and Sims out of the picture, UVa doesn't have a quarterback on the roster who has taken a snap in a real game. I think defensive coordinators are going to be focusing on stopping the RB Parks and blitzing the inexperienced QB a whole lot.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 3rd, 2013, 12:54 pm

Athlon Sports has their predictions up for 2013, and surprise!!! We are picked last!!! (-|

Well at least in the Coastal, they do predict us to better than BC overall. I expect we'll see more of the same from other sites and pundits. It will take a couple years of winning to finally give these people something to believe in.

At least they take the time out to explain why they think Duke will struggle.
Duke was a nice story last year, but the Blue Devils weren’t a very good team when you really look at the numbers. They managed a respectable 3–5 record in the ACC but were outgained by an average of 140.5 yards in those eight conference games — the biggest margin in the league. (Wake Forest was next at minus-127.7). And they lost six of their last seven games, with the six defeats coming by an average of 21.7 points. Veteran coach David Cutcliffe has done a very good job elevating the profile of this program, but Duke will have a tough time reaching bowl-eligibility for the second straight season.
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-foo ... redictions
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 3rd, 2013, 3:42 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Athlon Sports has their predictions up for 2013, and surprise!!! We are picked last!!! (-|
Being picked 7th in the Coastal is infuriating. How many times do we have to beat Virginia??? Cavalier QB Michael Rocco transferred and QB Phillip Sims has been declared academically ineligible. I'm also not convinced Pitt or UNC will finish ahead of us. Pitt has QB/RB issues and UNC has big question marks on the offensive line and on defense. Navy is ranked higher than us at 67. October 12th will be a big game.

My predictions:

1. Miami 2. Virginia Tech 3. Georgia Tech 4. Duke 5. UNC 6. Pittsburgh 7. Virginia

Oh well, we just have to go out on the field and have a winning season and qualify for a second consecutive bowl game.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 3rd, 2013, 4:22 pm

Bob Green wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Athlon Sports has their predictions up for 2013, and surprise!!! We are picked last!!! (-|
Being picked 7th in the Coastal is infuriating. How many times do we have to beat Virginia??? Cavalier QB Michael Rocco transferred and QB Phillip Sims has been declared academically ineligible. I'm also not convinced Pitt or UNC will finish ahead of us. Pitt has QB/RB issues and UNC has big question marks on the offensive line and on defense. Navy is ranked higher than us at 67. October 12th will be a big game.

My predictions:

1. Miami 2. Virginia Tech 3. Georgia Tech 4. Duke 5. UNC 6. Pittsburgh 7. Virginia

Oh well, we just have to go out on the field and have a winning season and qualify for a second consecutive bowl game.
It pisses me off too. And I'm sure the coaches and players as well. At some point the disrespect will have to stop.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 3rd, 2013, 9:38 pm

Bob Green wrote:I have no idea if these players are starters or even on the two deep, but Pitt has dismissed a TE and DB, and suspended a DT and freshman QB:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... liams-team

The schedule thread seems like the logical place to discuss events concerning 2013 opponents such as Pitt. And, oh by the way, the last football game I attended in Wallace Wade prior to joining the Navy and galavanting around Asia for 30 years was against Pitt (Tony Dorsett and Matt Cavanaugh). They went undefeated and won the National Championship that year. But it is 2013 and Tony Dorsett ain't walking through that door!
Bud and I were there. We were hoping. :(