Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Life is a Cabernet

Post by DukePA » November 23rd, 2012, 10:31 am

devildeac wrote:
DukePA wrote:I opened the bottle of Pinot Noir to allow it to breathe. I'm so excited to try it!
If it stops breathing, please start CPR immediately. 8-|
Will do! Suffocating red wine makes ME cough!!!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 23rd, 2012, 10:32 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
windsor wrote: My cohort Rob proclaimed that I needed to quit drinking cheap red, and her order Caymus Special Select 1991 ($250 worth of wine) . It was an epiphany in a glass (truth be told, it was pretty close to sex in a glass).
At our Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon, a guest mentioned that he was charged with procuring a high dollar bottle of wine for his boss, something in the $200 range and he asked if anyone had any suggestions? I whipped out my smart phone, called up this thread, and showed him this wine. He wrote it down and will get it tomorrow or next week! He wanted me to pass along his thanks and kudos for posting this! So thanks, Windsor, for posting this and getting his butt out of a sling! B-)
He might not find that vintage...but you can not go wrong with a Caymus cab!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » November 23rd, 2012, 10:33 am

2nd page! Here we go, wine drinkers! Here we go! clap, clap!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 23rd, 2012, 10:34 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
windsor wrote: My cohort Rob proclaimed that I needed to quit drinking cheap red, and her order Caymus Special Select 1991 ($250 worth of wine) . It was an epiphany in a glass (truth be told, it was pretty close to sex in a glass).
At our Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon, a guest mentioned that he was charged with procuring a high dollar bottle of wine for his boss, something in the $200 range and he asked if anyone had any suggestions? I whipped out my smart phone, called up this thread, and showed him this wine. He wrote it down and will get it tomorrow or next week! He wanted me to pass along his thanks and kudos for posting this! So thanks, Windsor, for posting this and getting his butt out of a sling! B-)
He might not find that vintage...but you can not go wrong with a Caymus cab!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 23rd, 2012, 10:58 am

At thanksgiving yesterday I was drinking Yellow Tale Shiraz (that was the available red :) )

It was OK a very easy to drink go with anything wine. A liitle soft and fruity for me - but for a crowd of folks a good safe choice to please most palates.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 23rd, 2012, 7:19 pm

Todays review: Dreaming Tree Cabernet 2010 - it was on sale at the local grocer (I rarely buy a wine over $20 this one was 12.99)

I opened it Wednesday night, and had two glasses, one before and one with a nice filet from the grill (bacon wrapped)
It really didn't do much for the steak. I prefered it alone. It is a little sharp, maybe more bottle time (or more breathing time) would take a little of the edge of it.

It is a classic California cab...pleasant alone, easy to drink. Finishing it up tonight I think a nice italian dish with a strong red sauce would go well with it. I have an app on my phone, so I'll make a note to give that try.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 23rd, 2012, 8:16 pm

windsor wrote:Todays review: Dreaming Tree Cabernet 2010 - it was on sale at the local grocer (I rarely buy a wine over $20 this one was 12.99)

I opened it Wednesday night, and had two glasses, one before and one with a nice filet from the grill (bacon wrapped)
It really didn't do much for the steak. I prefered it alone. It is a little sharp, maybe more bottle time (or more breathing time) would take a little of the edge of it.

It is a classic California cab...pleasant alone, easy to drink. Finishing it up tonight I think a nice italian dish with a strong red sauce would go well with it. I have an app on my phone, so I'll make a note to give that try.

So at half time of VCU I uncovered some frozen ravioli in the freezer...threw them into the microwave, slapped on some fresh parm...and was really happy to find that yes the wine does go with red sauce italian! Wish I had some crusty garlic bread. That would be perfect!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 14th, 2012, 8:38 am

Was out to dinner as part of the bevy of company meetings this week. I got a glass of the house 'cab from Mitchells' Seafood and it was excellent! Really nice smooth cabernet. I inquired and it was Silver Palm. I have checked and this is an under $20 wine. Windsor gives this one 5 Corks.

Highly recommend!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 25th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Since the mods won't move this post, I'll copy it here:
Two and a half buck chuck or two buck chuck or even three buck chuck is wine sold exclusively by Trader Joe's. They bought the winery and they sell the wine in their grocery stores. A bottle of two buck chuck is as good as a twelve dollar bottle of any other California wine. Most people cannot taste the difference. It's good wine at a very cheap price.

In the rare event that you get a bottle of two buck chuck that's "corked," it's no big deal just to toss it and open a new one. I've only encountered ONE corked bottle of two buck chuck in the ten years I've been drinking it.

When I go to Raleigh, I usually stop by TJs to get a case of three buck chuck and to stock up on of their teriyaki chicken and brown rice.

Trader Joe's also carries a Malbec that is four dollars per bottle: La Finca. It is very good.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 25th, 2013, 10:13 pm

CathyCA wrote:Since the mods won't move this post, I'll copy it here:
Two and a half buck chuck or two buck chuck or even three buck chuck is wine sold exclusively by Trader Joe's. They bought the winery and they sell the wine in their grocery stores. A bottle of two buck chuck is as good as a twelve dollar bottle of any other California wine. Most people cannot taste the difference. It's good wine at a very cheap price.

In the rare event that you get a bottle of two buck chuck that's "corked," it's no big deal just to toss it and open a new one. I've only encountered ONE corked bottle of two buck chuck in the ten years I've been drinking it.

When I go to Raleigh, I usually stop by TJs to get a case of three buck chuck and to stock up on of their teriyaki chicken and brown rice.

Trader Joe's also carries a Malbec that is four dollars per bottle: La Finca. It is very good.

If you have more than one corked bottle in a case, it's likely the entire case is corked. So says my Phi Psi wine maven :) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 26th, 2013, 12:06 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Since the mods won't move this post, I'll copy it here:

If you have more than one corked bottle in a case, it's likely the entire case is corked. So says my Phi Psi wine maven :) :9f:
I've never had the experience of having an entire case of corked wine. Only one bottle of two buck chuck was ever corked.

Recently, I've had a few bottles of red that didn't taste quite right, but they were okay for cooking, so I stuck them in the fridge. I'll get to them eventually.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 26th, 2013, 8:17 am

CathyCA wrote: I've never had the experience of having an entire case of corked wine. Only one bottle of two buck chuck was ever corked.

Recently, I've had a few bottles of red that didn't taste quite right, but they were okay for cooking, so I stuck them in the fridge. I'll get to them eventually.

I got some undrinkable cheap ass red for Xmas at the office gift exchange. One bottle red wine/some water and I cooked up some 'drunk past'. It turns the pasta purple...which is odd but adds a nice flavor to it. A little Italian Sausace, some olive oil, some garlic, some cheese...bang.

yum.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 27th, 2013, 9:34 pm

windsor wrote:At thanksgiving yesterday I was drinking Yellow Tale Shiraz (that was the available red :) )

It was OK a very easy to drink go with anything wine. A liitle soft and fruity for me - but for a crowd of folks a good safe choice to please most palates.
I won a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz at our departmental Christmas party and am enjoying a glass now. I find it to be smooth and very drinkable. Some red wines give me a headache (tannins?), but this one does not. Definitely not a dry wine.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 28th, 2013, 7:12 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:At thanksgiving yesterday I was drinking Yellow Tale Shiraz (that was the available red :) )

I won a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz at our departmental Christmas party and am enjoying a glass now. I find it to be smooth and very drinkable. Some red wines give me a headache (tannins?), but this one does not. Definitely not a dry wine.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 24th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Made a trip to Total Wine for my birthday (is this where I whine about the lack of a 'happy birthday Windsor' thread?

Anyway, back to the wine.

http://www.decanter.com/dwwa/2011/wine/ ... -2010/6772

Beautiful Chilean Cab. This is a big wine. Dark fruit and bold but with a finish like velvet. It stands alone but I can see it with a NY Strip (not a Filet Mignon) or similar big flavored beef. I am loving it. This is definitely a full bodies Cab. so if you don't like heavy reds this one is not for you. Maybe it is this wine, or maybe I have been drinking enough wines that I am developing a palet, but I can taste the layers in this one. Love it. Wow.

I have three more that I will be getting to. :D
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » September 16th, 2013, 7:49 pm

From the 9/14/2013 tailgate, Verso Rosso Salento. A nice fruity red shared among Cathy CA, Lawgrad 91, myself, and tasted by serveral others. I thought it was very nice and went well with our Italian fare of the day. A nice addition to our regular beer tastings. My :twocents: worth. AW. :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 16th, 2013, 8:26 pm

windsor wrote:Made a trip to Total Wine for my birthday (is this where I whine about the lack of a 'happy birthday Windsor' thread?

Anyway, back to the wine.

http://www.decanter.com/dwwa/2011/wine/ ... -2010/6772

Beautiful Chilean Cab. This is a big wine. Dark fruit and bold but with a finish like velvet. It stands alone but I can see it with a NY Strip (not a Filet Mignon) or similar big flavored beef. I am loving it. This is definitely a full bodies Cab. so if you don't like heavy reds this one is not for you. Maybe it is this wine, or maybe I have been drinking enough wines that I am developing a palet, but I can taste the layers in this one. Love it. Wow.

I have three more that I will be getting to. :D
:ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:

Mea culpa. Us-a culpa.

Happy birthday Windsor. Glad you got wine, hope you got bacon as well and a wonderful piece of steak.
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » September 17th, 2013, 9:17 am

windsor wrote:Made a trip to Total Wine for my birthday (is this where I whine about the lack of a 'happy birthday Windsor' thread? :D
Had I known it was your birthday I would've sent bacon roses and more wine! Happy Belated Birthday!
:ymparty: :occasion-balloons: :occasion-birthday: :occasion-birthdaymulticolor: :occasion-cake: :occasion-candle:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 17th, 2013, 9:24 am

August West wrote:From the 9/14/2013 tailgate, Verso Rosso Salento. A nice fruity red shared among Cathy CA, Lawgrad 91, myself, and tasted by serveral others. I thought it was very nice and went well with our Italian fare of the day. A nice addition to our regular beer tastings. My :twocents: worth. AW. :D
It was very good, and I will buy this one SOON.

Thanks, AW, for bringing this to the tailgate!

~ James Naismith
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » September 17th, 2013, 9:42 am

Back in 1982, I had the good fortune to live very close to Napa Valley for 7 months (in a depressing little town called Vallejo outside Mare Island Naval Shipyard) so I developed a taste for the grape. After multiple trips to multiple wineries, I determined my favorite winery for Reds was Louis M. Martini:

http://www.louismartini.com/

I highly recommend their red wine if you come across a bottle while visiting your local wine store. For white wine, I really enjoy Gerwurztraminer and Fetzer makes an enjoyable one that is usually available in grocery stores or Walmart for $8 a bottle. It doesn't have to be expensive to be good.