Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Vibes for my mom

Post by EarlJam » February 2nd, 2012, 4:52 pm

Arkie,

All the bestest and most powerful vibes from my little corner of the world:

((((((((((((((((((((((((( :wizard: )))))))))))))))))))))))))

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 3rd, 2012, 4:29 am

Prayers and vibes from Kansas. I'm glad your brother's significant other spoke up. The people who care enough to speak up on potential problems are such a blessing.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 20th, 2012, 10:48 pm

An update: my mom had an appointment yesterday with a neuropsychologist. After going through a battery of exams, she was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia. The telling exam: if she had a pile of letters, she could put them in the correct order. If she had a pile of numbers, she could put them in the correct order. If the two piles were mixed together, she didn't know what to do.

This is going to be really tough. Her communication skills will continue to deteriorate. We just have to hope that the progression is slow and that drugs can help. The seeming sudden appearance and fast progression to the current stage have me worried, though. Please send vibes - we're all going to need them.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » March 20th, 2012, 11:22 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:An update: my mom had an appointment yesterday with a neuropsychologist. After going through a battery of exams, she was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia. The telling exam: if she had a pile of letters, she could put them in the correct order. If she had a pile of numbers, she could put them in the correct order. If the two piles were mixed together, she didn't know what to do.

This is going to be really tough. Her communication skills will continue to deteriorate. We just have to hope that the progression is slow and that drugs can help. The seeming sudden appearance and fast progression to the current stage have me worried, though. Please send vibes - we're all going to need them.
Oh, Arkie, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Sending vibes to Arkansas for creeping crawling progression, and vibes and hugs to you as you journey down this road with your mother.

:wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 20th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Vibes, prayers and hugs to your mom, you and your family. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 21st, 2012, 2:19 am

Oh darlin', I'm so sorry for this. Where is she and what family is near? So many of us are facing this and it takes extreme patience and can be simply exhausting without plenty of help. This requires PLENTY of CTN vibes. We're on it. Keep us up to date, okay?

Here is a poem I've repeated so many times to myself that I know it by heart. It's by one of my two favorite writers

Pilgrim

"This is a road one walks alone.
Narrow the path and overgrown.
Dark is the way and hard to find
When the last village drops behind.
Never a footfall light to show
Fellow traveler, yet I know
Someone before has trudged his load
In these same footsteps.
This IS a road."
--- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 21st, 2012, 6:55 am

As you continue...so do we!

:wizard:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » March 21st, 2012, 7:06 am

AD - sending hugs and vibes. We're here for you!
:ymhug: :wizard:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » March 21st, 2012, 8:07 am

Hugs, prayers and vibes from Iowa! :ymhug: :pray: :wizard:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 21st, 2012, 8:43 am

Sorry to hear this news, best vibes to you and to her. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » March 21st, 2012, 9:23 am

ArkieDukie wrote:An update: my mom had an appointment yesterday with a neuropsychologist. After going through a battery of exams, she was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia. The telling exam: if she had a pile of letters, she could put them in the correct order. If she had a pile of numbers, she could put them in the correct order. If the two piles were mixed together, she didn't know what to do.

My mother has been going through a similar progression over the past year. I have become the primary care giver.... a life changing transition.

There is a web site I've found to be quite helpful. It has lots of information and sources for more information to help with understanding what's taking place, how to help your mother and how to help yourself. Here's a link if you wish to explore: http://www.caring.com/
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 21st, 2012, 9:30 am

AD, vibes and prayers for your mother, and your whole family. We're all here for you; our shoulders are broad and our ears are ready to listen.

:ymhug: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: :ymhug:
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 21st, 2012, 9:56 am

Vibes for you and your mom, AD. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » March 21st, 2012, 10:38 am

I did quite a bit of work with FTD patients in graduate school and first, huge vibes for your whole family.

Assuming the FTD diagnosis is correct, you can take solace that she will not be able to understand her own deterioration.

Here's the Association for FTD website: http://www.theaftd.org/

Another resource is "What if it's not Alzheimer's?". http://www.amazon.com/What-Its-Not-Alzh ... 1591020875

PM me if you ever want to talk about the process or want to connect with neurologists or support groups for caregivers. Ultimately, caregivers are the ones who bear the brunt of the disease.

Hugs from Austin, :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 21st, 2012, 11:26 am

Thanks for the links, BB. Seems an awful lot of us are dealing with this same situation. My mom, too. The links will be valuable to me as well.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 21st, 2012, 12:44 pm

Oh, AD, I am so sorry to learn this.

I'm hoping that the drugs will give your mom a neuro-boost and that she will be able to have many happy years spent with family and friends.

(((HUGS)))

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 21st, 2012, 8:31 pm

TillyGalore wrote:

Oh, Arkie, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Sending vibes to Arkansas for creeping crawling progression, and vibes and hugs to you as you journey down this road with your mother.

:wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug:
Thanks, Tilly.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 21st, 2012, 8:31 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Vibes, prayers and hugs to your mom, you and your family. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Thanks, VDB.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 21st, 2012, 8:35 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Oh darlin', I'm so sorry for this. Where is she and what family is near? So many of us are facing this and it takes extreme patience and can be simply exhausting without plenty of help. This requires PLENTY of CTN vibes. We're on it. Keep us up to date, okay?

Here is a poem I've repeated so many times to myself that I know it by heart. It's by one of my two favorite writers

Pilgrim

"This is a road one walks alone.
Narrow the path and overgrown.
Dark is the way and hard to find
When the last village drops behind.
Never a footfall light to show
Fellow traveler, yet I know
Someone before has trudged his load
In these same footsteps.
This IS a road."
--- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Love, Ima
Thanks, Ima. She's in northwest Arkansas, and both of my brothers live within a mile of my parents. My older brother's soon-to-be wife (getting married on April 7) is a geriatric nurse. We're blessed to have her in the family. I grew up in a community where everyone is family, so there are lots of people who care about Mom and will look out for her. She will have lots of support, as will all of us.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 21st, 2012, 8:36 pm

captmojo wrote:As you continue...so do we!

:wizard:
Thanks, captmojo.
-- Albert Einstein