NASCAR 2012

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: NASCAR 2012

Post by Lavabe » February 4th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Lavabe wrote:Ymo has been our founder and our commish over the last few years.
MANY THANKS TO YMO!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

I hope it's okay, Ymo, but I had time this morning, and have just opened up our group. Here is the needed info:
Group ID#: 10608
Group Name: CTN NASCAR 2012
Group Password: durham

Please go ahead and login.

I wonder if CTN 2012 will be one of the highest scoring leagues.

All are welcome to join!!
If you've not done this before, you must access sports.yahoo.com and register with yahoo there (look at the upper left corner). From the sports.yahoo.com page, click the FANTASY button in the upper right, and look for AUTO RACING. You'll then enter the NASCAR site. At that point, go ahead, create your Team Name (and any other details), then JOIN A GROUP. Give the group # and goup password from above. That should do it. If you have any troubles, let me know.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY! LET THE PICKING BEGIN!!
BTTT! :text-bump: :text-bump: :text-bump:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » February 5th, 2012, 7:59 am

Bump drafting...
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 5th, 2012, 8:35 am

Forgive my ignorance.

I'm thinking about joining, but I have no idea what I'm getting into if I do. I know the drivers are split into A list, B list and so on. Do you pick certain drivers from each list every week? Or do you have a stable of drivers and can only pick from those?
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 5th, 2012, 10:20 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Forgive my ignorance.

I'm thinking about joining, but I have no idea what I'm getting into if I do. I know the drivers are split into A list, B list and so on. Do you pick certain drivers from each list every week? Or do you have a stable of drivers and can only pick from those?
That's pretty much it. Two days (I think it's 2 days) before the race you pick 2 drives from group A, 4 from group B, and 2 from group C. From each of those groups you then pick your starters before race time, 1 from A, 2 from B, and 1 from C.

I hope you'll join. It'll be nice to have some more estrogen around. ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 5th, 2012, 11:26 am

TillyGalore wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Forgive my ignorance.

That's pretty much it. Two days (I think it's 2 days) before the race you pick 2 drives from group A, 4 from group B, and 2 from group C. From each of those groups you then pick your starters before race time, 1 from A, 2 from B, and 1 from C.

I hope you'll join. It'll be nice to have some more estrogen around. ;)
Over the course of the year, you may start a driver no more than 9 times. For example, this prevents Lavabe from starting Tony Stewart for 28 races. Last year, this made for tremendous problems with group C, as people rapidly ate up their selections for the three favorites in that group.

You are rewarded points based on position that your starters finish the race. You are also awarded bonus points for each starter who leads at least one lap. You are awarded further bonus points for a starter who leads the most number of laps.

You are also awarded bonus points for any of your selections (not just starters) who qualify in the top four starting positions... except for when qualifying is canceled.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 5th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Ok, I'm in. :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-layrubber:
Iron Duke #1471997.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 5th, 2012, 1:36 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Ok, I'm in. :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-layrubber:

Oh goody, fresh meat!!!!!!!!!!!!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 5th, 2012, 3:20 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Ok, I'm in. :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-layrubber:
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
I worship the Blue Devil!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 5th, 2012, 6:04 pm

colchar wrote:

Oh goody, fresh meat!!!!!!!!!!!!
I warn you, I once had dinner with Leonard Wood of the Wood Brothers, and prosecuted Terry Labonte's daughter for speeding and one of Denny Hamlin's crew members for making an illegal U-turn.

Which counts here for...exactly nothing. (Kind of like our FT %age in OT> X( )
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 5th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Alright LAWGRAD!!
Still waiting for devildeac's SIL2.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 5th, 2012, 8:38 pm

There are six of us registered now. How many did we have last year?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 6th, 2012, 12:30 pm

I just checked the lists and they look interesting this year.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » February 6th, 2012, 3:56 pm

OK, I'm in and I haven't a clue what I'm doing so keep helping me out! Love racing, have my favs and watch as much as I can...does that help?

What do I do next?

:auto-driving: :auto-layrubber: :auto-driving: :auto-layrubber: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-chevybowtie:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 7th, 2012, 11:08 pm

IowaDevil wrote:OK, I'm in and I haven't a clue what I'm doing so keep helping me out! Love racing, have my favs and watch as much as I can...does that help?

What do I do next?

:auto-driving: :auto-layrubber: :auto-driving: :auto-layrubber: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-chevybowtie:
Sorry for the delay in responding.

All of that helps a bit, but now some tips:
1) When getting started, perhaps the best thing to do is look at the RACING NOTES on the selection page. It's on the upper left side, by the name of the race, next to EXPERT PICKS. The racing notes comes out on the Wednesday before each race. These are VERY helpful. After you read a few of these, you'll be able to see more patterns, and you'll become a little more aware of some of the subtleties that affect the different drivers.
2) Racing notes get updated after the starting grid is determined. These will appear in the same location, and are called QUALIFYING NOTES.
3) Resist the urge of selecting your favorites so much in the early part of the season; every driver has to be spread out over a long season.
4) On group C, be on the lookout for the drivers who are out there to race at a specific course. Learn to recognize when certain drivers OWN a track.
5) As the season develops, look for trends to emerge.
6) If you KNOW you are going to miss a race, make your selections well in advance of a race. When I was in Madagascar in 2010, I had my picks ready 2-3 weeks in advance, so that I didn't get caught with the same picks week after week.

Hope that gets you going. Any other tips out there from the rest of the league?

Cheers,
Lavabe
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » February 8th, 2012, 6:01 am

As Lavabe noted, sentimental favorites are nice, but resist the urge at any time during the season. You might hate yourself for not picking them when they win a race, but unless it fits into what he noted, i.e. they own a track or part of a consistent pattern(doing well on the mile and a half tracks, etc.) it can cost you over the season.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » February 8th, 2012, 9:44 am

Thanks for the tips! Am pretty sure I may be dead last in this race but will have a great time getting there!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 9th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Lavabe wrote:Here is the needed info:
Group ID#: 10608
Group Name: CTN NASCAR 2012
Group Password: durham

Please go ahead and login.

I wonder if CTN 2012 will be one of the highest scoring leagues.

All are welcome to join!!
If you've not done this before, you must access sports.yahoo.com and register with yahoo there (look at the upper left corner). From the sports.yahoo.com page, click the FANTASY button in the upper right, and look for AUTO RACING. You'll then enter the NASCAR site. At that point, go ahead, create your Team Name (and any other details), then JOIN A GROUP. Give the group # and goup password from above. That should do it. If you have any troubles, let me know.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY! LET THE PICKING BEGIN!!
We are now NINE!! So far, here are the teams:
Lavabe, Tilly, Ymo, Knights, Colchar, AugustDevil, IowaDevil, Lawgrad, and devildeac's SIL2 (RACH/LINA)
The more the merrier! :ymparty:

BTTT! :text-bump: :text-bump: :text-bump:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 14th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Michael Waltrip is entered in the Daytona 500, but it's a bit complicated:
http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... man-racing
:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
So, dude owns a racing team, and may race for someone else, with a sponsor who is also sponsoring one of his team's cars.
:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Oh yeah... Landon Cassill has a ride for the 500:
http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/ ... aytona-500
He's in the 83 Toyota that used to be with Brian Vickers and Red Bull. He'll be in the first 5 races this year.

Bizarre!
Miles

Post by Miles » February 16th, 2012, 11:14 am

And I'm finally in!
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 16th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Miles wrote:And I'm finally in!
ROCK AND ROLL!!!
:auto-layrubber: :auto-iroc: :character-beavisbutthead: :music-rockout: :music-rockon:
That is GREAT news!!
:ymapplause: :dance: :-BD