Who were your FIRST favorite Duke players?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Who were your FIRST favorite Duke players?

Post by DevilAlumna » December 7th, 2011, 12:24 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:BOB-BY! HUR-LEY! (Clap-clap, clap-clap-clap!)

Then, closely on his heels, "Marty doesn't foul!" (Marty Clarke.)
If I remember correctly, Marty Nessley was "Marty doesn't foul". Please correct me if Marty Clark also had that title.

:duke:
I understand that cheer's got a long history, so wouldn't be surprised if it preceded the Marty of my school days, just like it was used occasionally for Mr. Pocius more recently. :)
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » December 7th, 2011, 7:46 am

Johnny Dawkins, Tommy Amaker or Mark Alarie...the '86 team is the one I most remember from my younger days.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 7th, 2011, 7:49 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Tate Armstrong.

Tate the Great was my 1st Favorite Duke player as a grade student, and then next was Mike Gminski. And so forth and so on. My all time favorites are GMan in his day, then Johnny Dawkins, Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill, Shane Battier,Jason Williams, and love the 2010 Championship Team for what they were able to accomplish as a Team. (Jon, Nolan, Kyle, Lance and Zoubs).
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » December 7th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Mr. Battier is mine, but really love 'em all! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 8th, 2011, 8:31 pm

EarlJam wrote:And I don't mean, the first ones you remember you liked. I'm talking the first, "He ROCKS" type of guy.

For me, EarlJam, it was Mike Giminski and Dan Meagher.................followed by Mark Alarie (the last #32 before Laettner (I think)).

Those three. My first Duke loves. And I tried to incorporate a little of all of them (especially Meagher and Alarie) into my own bad ass hoops game on the court.

-EarlJam
And today, EarlJam and Dan Meagher became Facebook friends!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » December 8th, 2011, 10:55 pm

CathyCA wrote:
And today, EarlJam and Dan Meagher became Facebook friends!

:9f:
This pleased me today. I sent him a brief message thanking him for the "accept" and briefly let him know that he was the inspiration for many an elbow thrown on the old dirt court by the garage in my hometown of Burlington, N.C. I used to throw my body around, give a hard fould and yell, "Meagher!"

I suppose now that we are legitimate and official friends now, he will be calling me quite often and we will go to a lot of exciting events and parties! Maybe even watch some movies together! Is it too soon to ask him what his Christmas plans are?

Okay, seriously, it is cool for me, EarlJam.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.