Duke's Graduation Weekend

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke's Graduation Weekend

Post by CathyCA » May 15th, 2011, 2:00 pm

Those of you who are FB friends with Casey Peters should take a look at some of the pics his mom took yesterday. You will recognize a few people in Sharon's photos.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 15th, 2011, 2:05 pm

What do the hoods or stoles that the Duke undergraduates are wearing signify?

I inquire because back in the stone age, only those who earned graduate degrees were allowed to wear academic hoods. Those earning bachelor's degrees could only wear the black robes and caps. The engineering graduates got to wear orange tassels on their mortarboards, but the Trinity College graduates had to wear a completely black ensemble.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2011, 2:25 pm

CathyCA wrote:Those of you who are FB friends with Casey Peters should take a look at some of the pics his mom took yesterday. You will recognize a few people in Sharon's photos.

Duke women's basketball posted a nice photo of Nolan, Kyle, Casey and Jasmine Thomas.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 15th, 2011, 2:27 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Those of you who are FB friends with Casey Peters should take a look at some of the pics his mom took yesterday. You will recognize a few people in Sharon's photos.

Duke women's basketball posted a nice photo of Nolan, Kyle, Casey and Jasmine Thomas.
Yes. That was one of Sharon's pics that was also posted on Casey's page.

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2011, 2:46 pm

CathyCA wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Yes. That was one of Sharon's pics that was also posted on Casey's page.

:D Love that shot.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 15th, 2011, 3:47 pm

CathyCA wrote:What do the hoods or stoles that the Duke undergraduates are wearing signify?

I inquire because back in the stone age, only those who earned graduate degrees were allowed to wear academic hoods. Those earning bachelor's degrees could only wear the black robes and caps. The engineering graduates got to wear orange tassels on their mortarboards, but the Trinity College graduates had to wear a completely black ensemble.
No. Bachelor's hoods have been around quite a while. My understanding is that originally, they could not be of the same material as those of, e.g., PhD and Masters. Today, graduate hoods are typically much wider than those with bachelor's degrees.
The folks at academicapparel.com have a good piece about this:
http://www.academicapparel.com/caps/Aca ... pment.html
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 15th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:What do the hoods or stoles that the Duke undergraduates are wearing signify?

No. Bachelor's hoods have been around quite a while. My understanding is that originally, they could not be of the same material as those of, e.g., PhD and Masters. Today, graduate hoods are typically much wider than those with bachelor's degrees.
When did Duke begin the practice of outfitting its bachelor's degree candidates in academic hoods? (I already know it's post-1984.)

What were the reasons, other than to make Wally Wade look a little more colorful?

~ James Naismith
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 15th, 2011, 8:07 pm

CathyCA wrote: When did Duke begin the practice of outfitting its bachelor's degree candidates in academic hoods? (I already know it's post-1984.)

What were the reasons, other than to make Wally Wade look a little more colorful?

Post-1997 as well, but my Duke grad robe was bright blue.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 15th, 2011, 8:12 pm

CathyCA wrote:When did Duke begin the practice of outfitting its bachelor's degree candidates in academic hoods? (I already know it's post-1984.)

Of course, some of us (1983) graduated on East Campus, not at Wally Wade. #-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » May 15th, 2011, 9:45 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

When did Duke begin the practice of outfitting its bachelor's degree candidates in academic hoods? (I already know it's post-1984.)

I wore a hood for my BS in 1999.

The hoods are blue and white on the inside and the stripe across the edge is for the discipline, which for Duke undergrads is basically split into Arts, Sciences and Engineering. White for arts, gold for sciences and something ugly for engineering (orange?). Actually I can't remember if the Pratt grads got the Engineering-specific orange or if they got a gold for science. I think they might do the division by degree conferred, not major; i.e., A.B. degrees wear white while B.S wear gold. There were folks in my day who got an A.B. in physics, not the B.S. but I can't remember if they wore a white or gold hood.
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 15th, 2011, 10:53 pm

What DukeUsul said. Here's the list from today's program:

Arts. Letters, Humanities: white
Business Administration: drab (lol)
Dentistry: lavender
Divinity, Theology: scarlet
Education: copper
Engineering: orange
Fine Arts: brown
Forestry: russet
Law: purple
Medicine: green
Music: pink
Nursing: apricot
Philosophy: dark blue
Physical Therapy: teal
Science: golden yellow

So, Claire, as a BS Biology major (primary), wore her golden yellow hood today which had a beautiful pantone 287 and white lining :D :duke: . She received her diploma at the Biology Department program at Wilson Gym after the general ceremony in WW. She completed/received a 2nd major in Religion but did not attend the department ceremony and she has a BS on her diploma, not a BA. IDK much, if anything, about the history of when the undergrads started wearing hoods.

Hope that helps.

We were very happy to have our immediate family, 2 grandparents, 2 aunts, 1 uncle, 1 cousin and 1 FSIL join us for the festivities today. The other FSIL and his parents attended also but were technically part of the graduating class. The other family members who could not attend were missed.

We are proud.
We are excited.
We are relieved.

Now we have 20 days to finalize plans for the wedding.

We are also becoming exhausted and starting to sleep irregularly.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 15th, 2011, 11:32 pm

devildeac wrote:Wilson Gym
What a great gym.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 16th, 2011, 7:59 am

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:Wilson Gym
What a great gym.
Yea, I slipped that in there wondering if anyone would catch it. :whistle:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 16th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Gives new meaning to the graduation cap and gown:

Graduates wear gear made from plastic
• Greensboro-based manufacturer Unifi turns recycled plastic bottles into a yarn, which is used to make the gowns.

When Duke’s 4,500 graduates enter Wallace Wade Stadium this morning for commencement, they’ll be wearing the traditional black caps and gowns, but the philosophy behind them will be green.
This year, the university’s academic regalia will be made from recycled plastic bottles.
“We’re going to save about 10,000 bottles from the landfill,” Tom Craig, merchandise manager for Duke Stores, said of the change. “It was an easy decision for us to make.”
Thanks to a product developed by Greensboro-based yarn maker Unifi Inc., thousands of graduates across the state and nation will be attired in recycled water and soft drink bottles this month.
Other North Carolina schools adopting the new caps and gowns include GTCC, UNC-Chapel Hill, N.C. State and Wake Forest.
The product, a recycled yarn called Repreve, will not only help the environment — it takes 23 bottles to make one gown — but analysts call it one of the factors that helped Unifi turn around financially.
Between 2000 and 2010, the company lost nearly $420 million and laid off 2,800 workers. But last year, the company turned a profit of nearly $11 million and expects to make money in fiscal year 2011 as well.
“They have seen the worst,” said Bryan Hunt, managing director of high-yield research at Wells Fargo Securities in Charlotte. “I am confident this company will be around for a long time.”
And company officials say Repreve will play an increasingly important role in the company’s future.
Since its introduction in 2006, Repreve has grown from a single recycled polyester fiber into a family of sustainable products. One line, introduced in 2009, is made entirely of recycled bottles.
In the last two years, the company says, more than 247 million plastic bottles have been recycled into Repreve.
By 2012, the company expects to recycle more than 400 million bottles at its new $8 million Repreve Recycling Center in Yadkinville.
“We know that the green movement is here to stay,” Roger Berrier, the company’s president and chief operating officer, said at the center’s grand opening on May 4. “ ... It’s our goal to become the world’s leader in providing recycled fibers.”
Unifi purchases the plastic bottles from an unidentified supplier, who cleans them and chops them into flakes.
At the recycling center, the company melts the flakes and transforms them into uniform pellets called chips. These are remelted and extruded into yarn, which can be used to make fabric.
Repreve can be used to make clothing, upholstery, drapes, socks, tote bags, zipper tapes, bedding, product labels, banners and signs.
Customers include Hag-gar, Polartec, BlueAvocado and two of the nation’s largest academic regalia companies — Herff Jones in Champaign, Il., and Oak Hall Cap & Gown in Salem, Va.
“It’s taking off,” Joseph D’Angelo, president of Oak Hall, said of his recycled products. “It’s just the green movement. Every college in the country is trying to do something green.”
Duke, which gets its caps and gowns from Oak Hall, held off on the recycled regalia until this year.
“Before, it was not as nice a product,” Craig said. “Now you can’t tell the difference. Now they have the quality under control.”
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 16th, 2011, 8:30 pm

'Son of', helped to lay the groungwork for this effort, many years ago. Unifi had a merged concern with a company from South Africa (they have since parted ways) called Unifi-SANS. They were making yarns from solid polystyrene. He did get to take a trip to Capetown for a month, but was not able to withstand the internal politics and jealous backbiting here at home, to remain in company management.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"