Osama bin Laden is dead.

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Osama bin Laden is dead.

Post by bjornolf » May 2nd, 2011, 7:09 pm

I know it's bad, but the only thing I could think of when I heard the news was "Ding Dong, the bitch is dead!"

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 2nd, 2011, 7:11 pm

In the post-press conference coverage, I actually saw some talking head who was upset that they didn't know that the US had intel on Bin Laden's location in August. Hello, do you think maybe there's a reason reporters weren't told that the military had likely figured out his location? Like, say, maybe last night's presser wouldn't have happenend? What a maroon. The whole "we had a right to know" argument doesn't carry much weight with me on certain matters, and this is one of them.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 2nd, 2011, 7:24 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:In the post-press conference coverage, I actually saw some talking head who was upset that they didn't know that the US had intel on Bin Laden's location in August. Hello, do you think maybe there's a reason reporters weren't told that the military had likely figured out his location? Like, say, maybe last night's presser wouldn't have happened? What a maroon. The whole "we had a right to know" argument doesn't carry much weight with me on certain matters, and this is one of them.
My dad was a military intelligence officer, and he told me a story about a class he had to attend on security. They had a media member speak to them about how it was the military's responsibility to keep the media from discovering harmful information, NOT his job to keep from printing it. He said "the people's right to know exceeds everything else for us". My dad asked him if he were privy to a piece of information that he knew for a fact would kill MILLIONS of Americans if he released it, would he? The guy said "ABSOLUTELY! If you don't want me to report it, don't let me know about it." Wow.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » May 2nd, 2011, 9:00 pm

bjornolf wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:In the post-press conference coverage, I actually saw some talking head who was upset that they didn't know that the US had intel on Bin Laden's location in August. Hello, do you think maybe there's a reason reporters weren't told that the military had likely figured out his location? Like, say, maybe last night's presser wouldn't have happened? What a maroon. The whole "we had a right to know" argument doesn't carry much weight with me on certain matters, and this is one of them.
My dad was a military intelligence officer, and he told me a story about a class he had to attend on security. They had a media member speak to them about how it was the military's responsibility to keep the media from discovering harmful information, NOT his job to keep from printing it. He said "the people's right to know exceeds everything else for us". My dad asked him if he were privy to a piece of information that he knew for a fact would kill MILLIONS of Americans if he released it, would he? The guy said "ABSOLUTELY! If you don't want me to report it, don't let me know about it." Wow.

@};-
This exemplifies the reason why my sister, Dawn, decided not to become a journalist. She served in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain with a National Guard Public Relations unit. She had to deal with the civilian press and was thoroughly disgusted by them.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 2nd, 2011, 9:13 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:What a maroon.
Remember, be careful how you use this phrase. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 2nd, 2011, 9:16 pm

I can't find a Bugs Bunny smilie. /:)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 2nd, 2011, 9:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Okay; how about this: what a nin-cow-poop. :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 2nd, 2011, 10:19 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Okay; how about this: what a nin-cow-poop. :D
Perhaps something like this:

:Ninja: 3:-O :poo:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » May 2nd, 2011, 10:22 pm

CathyCA wrote:And he wasn't in a cave. He was in a mansion near Islamabad. Do we now rethink Pakistan?

:9f:
Great question. For me, there's nothing to rethink - they were never our friends, just the best of a bad lot. I am confident their military knows more than they're willing to share (or sell for that matter) about both the Taliban and al-Qaeda. Obama threw Pakistan government a bone when he said they "helped", like the young Turks can "help" me with certain chores by staying the @$#$ out of the way...

The young'uns might not get the reference, but somehow I have this weird idea of a Pakistani Sgt Schultz saying, "I see nuttink! NUTTINK!" as Osama sneaks out of the compound for his Saturday round of golf at Abbottabad Country Club....

I tripped over this piece in Slate. http://www.slate.com/id/2292687/
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 3rd, 2011, 8:23 am

What Pakistan did or didn't know depends to some degree on what the 'cover' story was about the compound. Derek Jeeter just built a mega mansion here Tampa - big enough to hide a small army...but no one here would think to check to see who was lurking in the upstairs bedrooms...what was the public story regarding who lived there? If it was a good one maybe it didn't attract attention. I don't think either side of this equation trusts Pakistan much. Pakistan has turned over a number of terrorists to the US and provided some intel. along the way - I frankly think Osama was too smart to let the Pakistan Gov't in on the secret...that isn't to say some citizens may not have known and assisted.

In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Turk

Post by Turk » May 3rd, 2011, 8:36 am

Jon Stewart nailed it last night. Go to the Daily Show site if you missed it. (Although perhaps the last bit of animation with the U.S. map might have been just a little over the top...) Great stuff...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 3rd, 2011, 9:18 am

Turk wrote:Jon Stewart nailed it last night. Go to the Daily Show site if you missed it. (Although perhaps the last bit of animation with the U.S. map might have been just a little over the top...) Great stuff...
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 3rd, 2011, 9:37 am

windsor wrote:What Pakistan did or didn't know depends to some degree on what the 'cover' story was about the compound. Derek Jeeter just built a mega mansion here Tampa - big enough to hide a small army...but no one here would think to check to see who was lurking in the upstairs bedrooms...what was the public story regarding who lived there?
You watched Letterman last night, didn't you? :D
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 3rd, 2011, 9:39 am

Lavabe wrote:
windsor wrote:What Pakistan did or didn't know depends to some degree on what the 'cover' story was about the compound. Derek Jeeter just built a mega mansion here Tampa - big enough to hide a small army...but no one here would think to check to see who was lurking in the upstairs bedrooms...what was the public story regarding who lived there?
You watched Letterman last night, didn't you? :D

I never watch Letterman...can't stand him. Really.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 3rd, 2011, 9:41 am

windsor wrote:I never watch Letterman...can't stand him.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 3rd, 2011, 3:22 pm

At the risk of losing whatever argument I may be involved in... :hitler:

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011 ... f397278454
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 4th, 2011, 1:47 pm

Apparently a new mixed drink/cocktail special is the Osama bin Laden.

Made with two shots and a splash of water.

Ba-dump-bump.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 4th, 2011, 4:25 pm

We can all reflect where we were when we heard the News of the Twin Towers on 9/11/2001, and where we were on Sunday evening, hearing the news of OBL.

On Sept 11, I had on the Cbs morning show, and was on the phone with a good friend of mine (we were in Bible Study together). She had on Joyce Meyer that morning, when I told her to switch the channel. We both were on the phone, almost speechless, discussing what was going on, and the 2nd plane. OMG. I will NEVER EVER FORGET that morning.

And Sunday evening, I was watching Brothers and Sisters, and then the Breaking News.

Our brave military personnel, and the leaders of our Military, along with all the CIA, and gov't intelligence, are to be commended on this Mission. The Navy Seals Team 6... how brave you are were.

I feel that we don't need to know all about the Mission, and see Photos. Our Special Forces need to keep all of their SECRET tactics, private and out of the media. DO we NEED to see Photos of a deceased OBL?

Seeing, those Towers, burn, and fall, and people jumping out of the windows, and falling to their death, was enough to see, and witness on television. We will Never Forget!

The picture of Pres Obama, and Sec of State Hilary Clinton, in the Situation Room, will be forever remembered!

Bless our military, and our leaders, and the brave men and women that protect our Freedom!

**== **== **== God Bless America!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 4th, 2011, 4:28 pm

devildeac wrote:Apparently a new mixed drink/cocktail special is the Osama bin Laden.

Made with two shots and a splash of water.

Ba-dump-bump.

I will ADD that to my Bartender Card file!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 4th, 2011, 6:15 pm

Intel release of the photos is not needed. It reminds me of football players that react with an over-the-top celebration after a touchdown. Just do the job and walk away. That is the classy way.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"