Toss Your Salad!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Pick four toppings to put on your lettuce (dressing doesn't count)

1. Cheese
19%
2. Olives
9%
3. Croutons
14%
4. Banana Peppers
1%
5. Tomatoes
18%
6. Brocolli (or cauliflower)
5%
7. Pickles (or cucumber)
11%
8. Nuts
3%
9. Carrots
12%
10. Other
8%

Total votes: 74
wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Toss Your Salad!

Post by wilson » January 27th, 2011, 8:56 am

Miles wrote:Put me in the camp with pickle lovers as long as they're not on my salad. I could imagine a few varieties of salads that would benefit from cornichons, but not many.
Hooray for cornichons! My French host family turned me on to them back in 1997, and I came back wondering where I could get them. Turns out that the only place around here is the giant Dekalb Farmer's Market (where else?), where they are dirt cheap. I buy some every time I go there.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 27th, 2011, 4:16 pm

wilson wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:I absolutely adore pickles, but they wouldn't be my first addition to a salad.
+1 to all of this, but my point from above remains: If you don't like pickles, you must be some kind of damned Communist.
Must be my years in Asia.
Life is good!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 28th, 2011, 7:41 am

wilson wrote:
Miles wrote:Put me in the camp with pickle lovers as long as they're not on my salad. I could imagine a few varieties of salads that would benefit from cornichons, but not many.
Hooray for cornichons! My French host family turned me on to them back in 1997, and I came back wondering where I could get them. Turns out that the only place around here is the giant Dekalb Farmer's Market (where else?), where they are dirt cheap. I buy some every time I go there.
um, I know I'm about to sound like an idiot, but what's a cornichon? :ymblushing:

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » January 28th, 2011, 8:47 am

bjornolf wrote:
wilson wrote:
um, I know I'm about to sound like an idiot, but what's a cornichon? :ymblushing:

@};-
Cornichon is French for gherkin. It most often refers to a pickled gherkin.They're usually pretty tart, seedless and pretty small. wilson, look for them in Middle Eastern Food Markets. The EarthFare olive bar has them and there's a great French bakery in Charlotte that serves pâté and cornichons sandwiches on their freshly baked baguettes. They're knock your socks of good. Mmmmmmm. =p~
sMiles
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 28th, 2011, 10:08 pm

Granny Smith apples, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, bacon, bleu cheese, mixed greens and my own maple vinaigrette dressing.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 29th, 2011, 9:10 am

"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"