My Life in a Nutshell

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: My Life in a Nutshell

Post by wilson » January 16th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Lavabe wrote:The State of Georgia also has such a program. But again, it's SCIENCE/MATH/ENGINEERING they want. I was considering it as a failsafe if I didn't land a job in higher ed. The success of these programs depends an awful lot on how fellow teachers accept and mentor these teachers. When I left Georgia, they didn't have such a program for History.

It's good if you have connections to get something in private schools, but nonetheless, I'd also seriously investigate what sorts of exams and certifications are needed for public, just to be safe and to explore all options. I had a friend go teach at a private school, but he later moved to public school (more opportunities). He was most keen on being qualified to teach AP and IB courses. Couldn't hurt to talk with a few folks at Emory's Education Dept.
Georgia indeed has a procedure for provisional teaching certification, but I don't plan to take that route unless it's my only choice. While it pains me to reject Georgia's public schools so, I do not care to teach in an environment where curriculum is rigidly dictated, and where too much instructional time is devoted to non-instructional matters. In independent schools, I would have much more leeway in teaching and designing my courses, and students would generally be prepared and engaged. I wish I could summon a world-saver's mentality with regard to teaching in the public schools, but frankly, they're a cesspool right now (especially in Georgia). Since this whole thing is about asserting my own ambitions and desires, I've gotta be, for lack of a better word, a little selfish about it all.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » January 16th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Job vibes from me as well.

I've settled on a design, so, I can promise that you are going to have a killer scarf to show off to the students the first chilly day next fall.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » January 17th, 2011, 12:48 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:The State of Georgia also has such a program. But again, it's SCIENCE/MATH/ENGINEERING they want. I was considering it as a failsafe if I didn't land a job in higher ed. The success of these programs depends an awful lot on how fellow teachers accept and mentor these teachers. When I left Georgia, they didn't have such a program for History.

It's good if you have connections to get something in private schools, but nonetheless, I'd also seriously investigate what sorts of exams and certifications are needed for public, just to be safe and to explore all options. I had a friend go teach at a private school, but he later moved to public school (more opportunities). He was most keen on being qualified to teach AP and IB courses. Couldn't hurt to talk with a few folks at Emory's Education Dept.
Georgia indeed has a procedure for provisional teaching certification, but I don't plan to take that route unless it's my only choice. While it pains me to reject Georgia's public schools so, I do not care to teach in an environment where curriculum is rigidly dictated, and where too much instructional time is devoted to non-instructional matters. In independent schools, I would have much more leeway in teaching and designing my courses, and students would generally be prepared and engaged. I wish I could summon a world-saver's mentality with regard to teaching in the public schools, but frankly, they're a cesspool right now (especially in Georgia). Since this whole thing is about asserting my own ambitions and desires, I've gotta be, for lack of a better word, a little selfish about it all.
Awesome!!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :D :D :D :9f: :9f: :9f:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 17th, 2011, 8:46 am

Bostondevil wrote:Job vibes from me as well.

I've settled on a design, so, I can promise that you are going to have a killer scarf to show off to the students the first chilly day next fall.
Thanks! The scarf is very exciting. I wear them a lot, and irrespective of where I end up next year, I intend to be the best-dressed teacher in the building. B-)
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 18th, 2011, 12:51 am

Congratulations on reaching this decision. You will be a great teacher!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: vibes on the job search!
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 25th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Turns out that one of the nearby places hiring a history teacher is Frederica Academy on St. Simon's Island, GA.
Is that a joke? A place in the tidal low country (an area I know a thing or two about...) wants a history teacher?
If there is such thing as hyper-focused vibes, I'd like to humbly request some. Resume & cover letter probably going out tomorrow. I really wanna get this one right, and I never realized until now how unbelievably awkward and terrible the exercise of writing a cover letter is. ~X( :YMPRAY: ~X( :YMPRAY: ~X( :YMPRAY: :-ss
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 25th, 2011, 2:03 pm

wilson wrote:Turns out that one of the nearby places hiring a history teacher is Frederica Academy on St. Simon's Island, GA.
Is that a joke? A place in the tidal low country (an area I know a thing or two about...) wants a history teacher?
If there is such thing as hyper-focused vibes, I'd like to humbly request some. Resume & cover letter probably going out tomorrow. I really wanna get this one right, and I never realized until now how unbelievably awkward and terrible the exercise of writing a cover letter is. ~X( :YMPRAY: ~X( :YMPRAY: ~X( :YMPRAY: :-ss
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray:

St. Simons Island is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Best of luck with the cover letter and resume, and hopefully they will see that you are perfect to teach there.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 25th, 2011, 2:09 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
wilson wrote:Turns out that one of the nearby places hiring a history teacher is Frederica Academy on St. Simon's Island, GA.
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray:

St. Simons Island is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Best of luck with the cover letter and resume, and hopefully they will see that you are perfect to teach there.

What she said! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 25th, 2011, 4:06 pm

I've never been to St. Simon's Island, but my mom and dad spent many weeks down there attending church meetings. They loved it.

Vibing away for you!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 25th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Best of luck to you! :wizard: Go for it!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 25th, 2011, 6:16 pm

My horoscope for today:
"Follow your heart with flights of fancy. It's time to set off on an adventure."
Still not quite sure what to make of that, but I like the way it sounds.
:happy-bouncyblue: :Pirate: :Gentleman: :pioneer: :sombrero: :cowboy: :beatnik: :chef: :sultan: :chief: :rivet: :Pharoah: :dwarf: :commando: :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 25th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Sending loads and loads of vibes to you, wilson. Also, I'd be happy to proofread/critique your cover letter. I served on several faculty search committees in a former life, albeit at the college level. Bet some of the other academicians can give good feedback as well (paging Lavabe and throaty...).
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 25th, 2011, 6:44 pm

wilson wrote:My horoscope for today:
"Follow your heart with flights of fancy. It's time to set off on an adventure."
Still not quite sure what to make of that, but I like the way it sounds.
:happy-bouncyblue: :Pirate: :Gentleman: :pioneer: :sombrero: :cowboy: :beatnik: :chef: :sultan: :chief: :rivet: :Pharoah: :dwarf: :commando: :happy-bouncyblue:
Only one :Pirate: amongst this grouping...but well placed, right behind :happy-bouncyblue:

:D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 25th, 2011, 10:27 pm

We'll be down for a weekend visit if you get this position. Good luck! :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » January 26th, 2011, 1:19 am

Huge :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: vibes heading your way!

(Be sure to have someone review your resume - it's so easy to overlook something that may be glaring to someone else. I also suggest letting the cover letter sit for at least 4 hours after you write it, before you copy-edit and hit send.)
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » January 26th, 2011, 6:01 am

Good, good vibes coming your way. St. Simon's Island IS one of the most beautiful places. My BFF's hubby used to be a manager at the Jekyll Island Club and I have many fond memories of time spent with her in that neck of the woods. I hope it turns out just the way you want!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 26th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
:YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:
Vibes!!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Scrabble luck!!
^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
Slinkies!!
**== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 26th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Vibes that you get this job.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Big congrats on realizing you needed to change your focus. I wanted to go down a particular career path (1st female athletic trainer in the NHL), after getting knocked down 5 times, I realized it was time to shift my focus. I realize now (hindsight really is 20/20) that I would not be happy had things turned out the way I wanted them to. You will be much happier in the long run as I believe this really was the right decision for you.
I worship the Blue Devil!
throatybeard
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by throatybeard » January 26th, 2011, 4:24 pm

The History one is even sadder/funnier than the English one:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7488523/
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2011, 4:39 pm

throatybeard wrote:The History one is even sadder/funnier than the English one:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7488523/
Dear God. It's kind of funny, but mostly it's just fucking brutally true.
I can only hope it will get funnier as the whole kick in the nuts recedes in my rear-view mirror.