Things I Lost in the Divorce

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Things I Lost in the Divorce

Post by CathyCA » November 16th, 2010, 7:09 am

ArkieDukie wrote:In case I haven't mentioned it previously, ExLax sounds like a complete douchebag. He was completely petty in the list of items that he kept.
You know what? It's just STUFF, and it can all be replaced. Even the kids' "Watch Me Grow" paintings, if I were to put forth the effort, could be replaced.

It's just that from time to time, I go looking for something and can't find it and realize that it's not mine any more.

Glass platters, for instance. I can't find 3 glass platters. I think he's got them.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 16th, 2010, 7:25 am

I am once reminded that the smartest thing I ever did with regard to WindsorsDaughters' father is NOT marry him. When enough was enough I loaded up MY car with MY stuff , sold MY house and got the hell out of dodge...with MY daughter :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 16th, 2010, 7:35 am

windsor wrote:I am once reminded that the smartest thing I ever did with regard to WindsorsDaughters' father is NOT marry him. When enough was enough I loaded up MY car with MY stuff , sold MY house and got the hell out of dodge...with MY daughter :D
I love wise women. Way to go, Windsor!
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 16th, 2010, 7:37 am

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:In case I haven't mentioned it previously, ExLax sounds like a complete douchebag. He was completely petty in the list of items that he kept.
You know what? It's just STUFF, and it can all be replaced. Even the kids' "Watch Me Grow" paintings, if I were to put forth the effort, could be replaced.

It's just that from time to time, I go looking for something and can't find it and realize that it's not mine any more.

Glass platters, for instance. I can't find 3 glass platters. I think he's got them.
I know it is frustrating to look for something only to realize that it is no longer in the house. You are very wise to realize that it is just stuff. You are so much better off without Ex-Lax that it is worth losing some stuff.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 16th, 2010, 8:12 am

windsor wrote:I am once reminded that the smartest thing I ever did with regard to WindsorsDaughters' father is NOT marry him. When enough was enough I loaded up MY car with MY stuff , sold MY house and got the hell out of dodge...with MY daughter :D
You are a smart woman, Windsor.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

I know it is frustrating to look for something only to realize that it is no longer in the house. You are very wise to realize that it is just stuff. You are so much better off without Ex-Lax that it is worth losing some stuff.
Thank you, AD!

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 16th, 2010, 8:16 am

CathyCA wrote:Oh, I almost forgot: I lost 250 pounds in the divorce!

=))
Best one yet.

:)) :)) =)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 16th, 2010, 8:20 am

I can tell you what my wife GOT in the divorce... a broken down Nissan Sentra that lasted about a year, and $14K in debt that HE had accumulated before and during the marriage. She basically bought her divorce by taking on the debt, a LARGE chunk of which was two cars he kept and a full set of mechanics' tools with rolling chest that he bought to go to vocational school, which he never finished.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 16th, 2010, 8:42 am

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: for all of you,

May all your X's have nightmares all night, every night, while their on their way to Hell. :ymdevil: :flame:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 16th, 2010, 8:43 am

CathyCA wrote:

A very wise attitude, and an attitude that trumps the pettiness shown by ExLax in keeping things that have worth to you just because he can (purely a guess on my part). :ymapplause:

When I grow up, I want to be like you.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 16th, 2010, 8:44 am

Go Windsor! You Rock! :ymapplause:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 16th, 2010, 8:50 am

bjornolf wrote:I can tell you what my wife GOT in the divorce... a broken down Nissan Sentra that lasted about a year, and $14K in debt that HE had accumulated before and during the marriage. She basically bought her divorce by taking on the debt, a LARGE chunk of which was two cars he kept and a full set of mechanics' tools with rolling chest that he bought to go to vocational school, which he never finished.

@};-
Wow. Just. Wow. Sounds like another ExLax.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 16th, 2010, 8:51 am

Very Duke Blue wrote::ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: for all of you,

May all your X's have nightmares all night, every night, while their on their way to Hell. :ymdevil: :flame:
What she said. I'm putting on my pointy-toed stilettos and sending all of them shin kicks and toe stomps.
-- Albert Einstein
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 16th, 2010, 9:19 am

I've tried to remember what I lost in the divorce.

In retrospect, it's interesting that he didn't want to take many things, but he did want to divide up the debt.... The Heathen didn't reveal the extent of the equity he had in the law firm even though he was able to put that money in because I was paying for virtually everything else including the taxes due on his income... discovered that when I began to file as single, not married. Probably the most significant thing I lost was trust and confidence in my judgment regarding men and their motives.

Anyway, that was a long time ago. He's paid for his life style with three failed marriages and dying from lung cancer (which progressed to brain cancer) because he wouldn't quit smoking. He moved to Europe to escape some entanglements with federal law related to some of his financial activities as well as financial activities of some clients, the ones in the dark shirts with white ties. He couldn't come back to the US because of some significant legal problems.

According to Social Security, I am a widow and qualify for benefits based on his earnings. That eligibility has provided me an option to improve my retirement benefits. Some of my friends say that it's a late payment for all the terrible things he did while we were together.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 16th, 2010, 9:36 am

Smart move, Windsor!

The main thing I lost in the divorce, in retrospect, was a feeling that things in my life just weren't right. I remember going out in my yard, looking over my cow pasture and my neighbor's cows, and thinking, "Why am I not happy? What is wrong in my life?" I had a good job, was halfway through paying for my house and 4 acres of land, owed nothing except for a mortgage, had good friends and a nice church where I was well-respected, but there was a big, big hole in my life.

And while it's true you can't buy happiness, you can certainly pay off unhappiness! Somehow he got $10,000 of equity for a house not in his name, that he didn't pay a cent for (or pay a cent toward bills for), plus a truck that he didn't pay a cent for, plus china and flatware (I can't remember the patterns, but they weren't very manly) and a KitchenAid mixer, and it was a good bargain.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 16th, 2010, 10:06 am

Living well IS the best revenge! Sounds like you are all living very well, indeed.

I've gone blow by blow through this with several of my friends. They've ALL come out better off.

Funny story: During one of my friend's most chaotic times, the OP and another friend's husband went to help the separating husband move out of the house and into his apartment, a very sobering and unpleasant experience. They both came home to us with new appreciations of their stable, comfy homes. Bearing gifts of roses and wine, they pleaded "Can we PLEASE keep living here?" (Bless their hearts.)

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » November 16th, 2010, 10:15 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Living well IS the best revenge! Sounds like you are all living very well, indeed.

I've gone blow by blow through this with several of my friends. They've ALL come out better off.

Funny story: During one of my friend's most chaotic times, the OP and another friend's husband went to help the separating husband move out of the house and into his apartment, a very sobering and unpleasant experience. They both came home to us with new appreciations of their stable, comfy homes. Bearing gifts of roses and wine, they pleaded "Can we PLEASE keep living here?" (Bless their hearts.)

Love, Ima
Very intelligent lads, to be sure!

Glad I didn't see any answers like, 'dignity' or 'hope' or 'vitality' and such.
Never been there. I still have everything...really. We never get rid of ANYTHING!!!!!!! DAMMIT!

Anybody need some pillows? They aren't for sleeping on, just for lookin' at.
Yard sale season is over for this year. Again...DAMMIT! :((
:twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 16th, 2010, 10:44 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: Funny story: During one of my friend's most chaotic times, the OP and another friend's husband went to help the separating husband move out of the house and into his apartment, a very sobering and unpleasant experience. They both came home to us with new appreciations of their stable, comfy homes. Bearing gifts of roses and wine, they pleaded "Can we PLEASE keep living here?" (Bless their hearts.)

Love, Ima
:D =))
:ymhug:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 16th, 2010, 12:40 pm

bjornolf wrote:I can tell you what my wife GOT in the divorce... a broken down Nissan Sentra that lasted about a year, and $14K in debt that HE had accumulated before and during the marriage. She basically bought her divorce by taking on the debt, a LARGE chunk of which was two cars he kept and a full set of mechanics' tools with rolling chest that he bought to go to vocational school, which he never finished.

@};-
Do you all use the tools?

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 16th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote::ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: for all of you,

Thank you!

~ James Naismith