3. Sophie's Choice
4. Brainstorm
5. When Harry Met Sally
6. No Way Out
7. Bull Durham
8. Pretty Woman
9. The Graduate
10. Schindler's List

In both #1 and #2 on my list, the main character creates clothing out of window treatments.

I saw #3 in Jerusalem in a theater along with Holocaust survivors. Also, William Styron, a fellow Dukie, wrote the novel.

I include #4 simply because it was filmed at Duke while I was in school, and I had the opportunity to be an extra in the film. My scene didn't get cut, and was so excited when I saw my face for that brief moment on the big screen. If I hadn't had the joy of participating in the filming and then seeing myself in this movie, I would have thought it was the lamest movie of all time. Because it is the lamest movie of all time.

I love #5. "I'll have what she's having." ;) I've loved Meg Ryan ever since she played the part of Betsy on As The World Turns, my favorite soap opera.

I love #6. I had to watch it 3 times with ExLax to explain the plot twists to him. I love Kevin Costner. And that's only part of the reason that. . .

I love #7. Kevin Costner in Durham, North Carolina, playing the part of Crash Davis, a Dukie. I have his "Well I believe in" speech in my iPod

I love #8 and I have memorized the soundtrack. I think this was Richard Gere's sexiest role.

I like #9. Of course, I didn't see it when it was first released because I was too young for the subject matter. I love the soundtrack, and I knew all of the songs in the movie before I ever saw it on the big screen. Mike Farrell had a role as an extra in this movie.

#10 is a painful part of our history that must be told over and over and over again. Spielberg has created a compelling vehicle which sears man's inhumanity to man forever in the viewer's mind.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Your top ten films?

Post by bjornolf » May 18th, 2009, 6:26 pm

I can't believe I had to leave off Bull Durham. I loved that movie.

Speaking of bad movies that featured Duke, did anybody see "Getting In"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109893/ It was a movie about a kid trying to get into Harvard medical school, even though he doesn't want to go, because every man for the last upteen generations of his family has gone there. He's seventh on the waiting list, and he starts bribing the people in front of him to get their spot. Andrew McCarthy, who is either sixth or fifth on the list, starts following him around and murdering the others on the list, framing him. It has Kristy Swanson, Christene Baranski, Dave Chapelle, and Andrew McCarthy of course. Stephen Mailer plays the lead. Matthew Perry is one of the others on the list that gets murdered. It's actually a pretty funny movie, and has a nice shot of Kristy Swanson in it. Many of the outside shots of his undergrad campus feature Duke.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 18th, 2009, 6:28 pm

CathyCA wrote: I include #4 simply because it was filmed at Duke while I was in school, and I had the opportunity to be an extra in the film. My scene didn't get cut, and was so excited when I saw my face for that brief moment on the big screen. If I hadn't had the joy of participating in the filming and then seeing myself in this movie, I would have thought it was the lamest movie of all time. Because it is the lamest movie of all time.
Is it this Brainstorm? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085271/ What scene are you in? I'll have to rent it and see if I can find you. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 18th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Speaking of Bull Durham, I had friends at Duke in my freshman dorm who grew up in Durham and were extras as kids. They were in the stands during the games. They said it was filmed in winter, and it was really cold. They were all wearing heavy coats. Then they were given a ten second countdown right before filming to get all their winter gear off and stuff it under their seats. They said it was also hard to get Tim Robbins to pitch without having white breath spewing all over the place. I think that even snuck in a few times.

Did anybody here go to any Bulls games? When it was at the old park? I went to a few while at Duke, though not as many as I'd have liked to.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 18th, 2009, 10:03 pm

bjornolf wrote:
CathyCA wrote: I include #4 simply because it was filmed at Duke while I was in school, and I had the opportunity to be an extra in the film. My scene didn't get cut, and was so excited when I saw my face for that brief moment on the big screen. If I hadn't had the joy of participating in the filming and then seeing myself in this movie, I would have thought it was the lamest movie of all time. Because it is the lamest movie of all time.
Is it this Brainstorm? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085271/ What scene are you in? I'll have to rent it and see if I can find you. ;)

%%-
Yeah, it was Brainstorm. I was a member of the chapel choir, and they asked us to appear in the funeral scene. The director wanted us to lip sync The Doxology to a recording done by a choir from Kansas or Wyoming or Colorado or one of those other square states in the middle. Our choir director asked us to sing the director's name "Trumbull" to the tune of Beethoven's "Hymn to Joy" from his 9th Symphony. (I think it was that song. . .) When Douglas Trumbull heard us sing, he decided to let us record our own music and lip sync along to our playback. Anyway, we spent 6 hours filming for what eventually became 60 seconds of film.

We all had to sign releases.

We saw Natalie Wood and Christopher Walken and Cliff Robertson. They were also in our scene. Bob Young, who was the minister to the university at the time, was the presiding minister at the funeral in the movie. One of my chapel choir girlfriends ran down to Natalie Wood during a break in production and got Natalie to autograph her West Side Story soundtrack album. Natalie was so nice to her as she explained to my friend that she didn't do any of the singing on that album. She signed the album anyway.

You'll recognize me in the scene--I'm one of the extras wearing a Duke blue and white chapel choir robe. ;)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 18th, 2009, 10:07 pm

I was at Duke during the time when they filmed the Dawson's Creek "Worthington College" scenes on campus. Every once in a while, I'd be on the way to class and I'd see Katie Holmes here or there. The time I got the closest, she was less than ten feet from me.
Those sightings always made me want to just turn around and go back to bed...not really any topping that for the rest of the day.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 19th, 2009, 7:20 am

wilson wrote:I was at Duke during the time when they filmed the Dawson's Creek "Worthington College" scenes on campus. Every once in a while, I'd be on the way to class and I'd see Katie Holmes here or there. The time I got the closest, she was less than ten feet from me.
Those sightings always made me want to just turn around and go back to bed...not really any topping that for the rest of the day.
I thought you were going back to bed for a different reason! :-o

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 19th, 2009, 8:23 am

bjornolf wrote:
wilson wrote:I was at Duke during the time when they filmed the Dawson's Creek "Worthington College" scenes on campus. Every once in a while, I'd be on the way to class and I'd see Katie Holmes here or there. The time I got the closest, she was less than ten feet from me.
I thought you were going back to bed for a different reason! :-o

%%-
I'm not exactly sure what you're driving at with that, but I'm pretty sure it's gross. :shock:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 19th, 2009, 9:20 am

Do I really need to explain it to you? What do young guys do alone in their rooms when they're thinking about hot/famous chicks? Is it really that hard to put together? Yes, it's gross, but it's a fact of life for teenage dudes.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 19th, 2009, 10:16 am

bjornolf wrote:Do I really need to explain it to you? What do young guys do alone in their rooms when they're thinking about hot/famous chicks? Is it really that hard to put together? Yes, it's gross, but it's a fact of life for teenage dudes.

%%-
"Thanks for that visual," wrote the mother of a 17 year old boy. . .

x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 19th, 2009, 10:30 am

CathyCA wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Do I really need to explain it to you? What do young guys do alone in their rooms when they're thinking about hot/famous chicks? Is it really that hard to put together? Yes, it's gross, but it's a fact of life for teenage dudes.

%%-

x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x
Spewed my coffee over this one! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 19th, 2009, 10:30 am

Now I need to go get more coffee.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 19th, 2009, 10:33 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

%%-

Spewed my coffee over this one! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Hey, he's the one that was being obtuse and making me spell it out for him! I'm innocent, blame him! O:-) Sorry, by the way. Think rainbows and daisies. Rainbows and daisies. Deep breath!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 19th, 2009, 10:36 am

bjornolf wrote:
Hey, he's the one that was being obtuse and making me spell it out for him! I'm innocent, blame him! O:-) Sorry, by the way. Think rainbows and daisies. Rainbows and daisies. Deep breath!

%%-
Nah, dude. I knew what you were talking about. But no, that's not what I did upon returning to bed...remember, college kids have rooomates. I did not force you to spell that out; I was trying to facetiously deflect any further comment. You're on your own here.