Ymm, Jewish Soul Food

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Jewish Soul Food

Post by Sue71 » April 19th, 2009, 5:29 pm

Here is the "expert" version of Chicken Soup & Matzo Balls... but... it's sacrilege with the sofrito and the soup recipe is bogus (Throw a chicken and some stock in a pot? Really? MAKE THE DAMN SOUP. Cut some veggies. Really. Cut some chicken. Really. Use water & salt & pepper. Really. Add stock only if needed... where does he think stock comes from? Sheesh. I may not cook much [well] but I know my chicken soup! But I digress.)

I post this because we were wondering about the lighter, fluffier, floaters and I think the baking powder helps. Ignore everything else. ;)
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 7:02 am

Any good pastrami lately? I haven't had any in a LONG time.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 15th, 2009, 10:01 am

This thread really depresses me. Why? I'm glad you asked. There aren't any good Jewish soul food places in these here parts. :(( :((
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 10:05 am

TillyGalore wrote:This thread really depresses me. Why? I'm glad you asked. There aren't any good Jewish soul food places in these here parts. :(( :((
You have more there than I have here. At least you can get bagels.

So if Arkie goes to Pumpernickle's today and follows it up with the Bagel Factory, I will feel happy (especially if she gets an everything bagel).

Technically, I also know that someone ELSE here was thinking of going to a GREAT pastrami/Jewish soul food place.
Last edited by Lavabe on August 15th, 2009, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 10:06 am

TillyGalore wrote:This thread really depresses me. Why? I'm glad you asked. There aren't any good Jewish soul food places in these here parts. :(( :((
Confession: I've never really had Jewish soul food. Would really like to try some.
Lavabe, once again I say, Get thee to Atlanta!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 10:08 am

wilson wrote:
Confession: I've never really had Jewish soul food. Would really like to try some.
Lavabe, once again I say, Get thee to Atlanta!
Bagel Palace. End of discussion.

Follow up by checking the fine-crafted ale selection at the Liquor Store in Toco Hills.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 15th, 2009, 10:09 am

Lavabe wrote:

So if Arkie goes to Pumpernickle's today and follows it up with the Bagel Factory, I will feel happy (especially if she gets an everything bagel).

Technically, I also know that someone ELSE here was thinking of going to a GREAT pastrami/Jewish soul food place.
Where do you recommend I get bagels?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 10:10 am

Lavabe wrote: Bagel Palace. End of discussion.

Follow up by checking the fine-crafted ale selection at the Liquor Store in Toco Hills.
Ahh yes, Toco Giant...one of the things I'll really miss about living in that neck of the woods. But Tower Liquor's pretty darn good on the other side of town, too.
And I'll definitely try Bagel Palace, but still...Get thee to Atlanta!
There's a Goldberg's near Mom's house. They fancy themselves purveyors of pretty fine Jewish cuisine. What do you think?
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2009, 11:55 am

Ya think the Jewish soul food places are any better here in pirateland?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 4:45 pm

CathyCA wrote:
According to Google, y'all have Bruegger's AND Boulevard Bagels. That's better than what we have in bluegrass country. Which is BUBKAS. Jack Squat. Okay, we have Panera (doesn't count... $1.29 for a sesame or plain bagel is HIGHWAY ROBBERY). Someone told me that I needed to go downtown for something called Third Street. Will report on it ASAP. But for now, Greenville has more bagels than does Lexington.

Raleigh has a boatload of bagels, including a lot near devildeac.

Durham has something like eleventy bazillion Bruegger's branches and a Chesapeake Bagel. And well, technically it has Dunkin Donuts.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 15th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
According to Google, y'all have Bruegger's AND Boulevard Bagels. That's better than what we have in bluegrass country. Which is BUBKAS. Jack Squat. Okay, we have Panera (doesn't count... $1.29 for a sesame or plain bagel is HIGHWAY ROBBERY). Someone told me that I needed to go downtown for something called Third Street. Will report on it ASAP. But for now, Greenville has more bagels than does Lexington.

Durham has something like eleventy bazillion Bruegger's branches and a Chesapeake Bagel. And well, technically it has Dunkin Donuts.
Wasn't sure if you considered Bruegger's as a good bagel place. Bruegger's isn't that far from my house.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 4:55 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Ya think the Jewish soul food places are any better here in pirateland?

Wasn't sure if you considered Bruegger's as a good bagel place. Bruegger's isn't that far from my house.
It's not in the same league as many of the places I grew up with in New Jersey, but it's a good stopgap. I tend to like small bagel shops.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 5:52 pm

Lavabe wrote:

I did, indeed, go to Pumpernickle's today; I had pastrami on rye. The rye bread was quite good; the pastrami was okay. Pickle was excellent. All in all, I'd say the pastrami rated lower than the deli in the middle of Reading Terminal Market (I'm blanking on the name). Didn't have time to go find the bagel place - camera class went long. :(
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 16th, 2009, 12:00 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

I did, indeed, go to Pumpernickle's today; I had pastrami on rye. The rye bread was quite good; the pastrami was okay. Pickle was excellent. All in all, I'd say the pastrami rated lower than the deli in the middle of Reading Terminal Market (I'm blanking on the name). Didn't have time to go find the bagel place - camera class went long. :(
I rated the Reading Terminal Market pastrami at 8F's, if I recall correctly. So you give Pump's 7F's? Or only 6F's?

Speaking of pastrami, and reading this thread, I'm wondering why Bjornolf didn't bring me any pastrami from the Chutspah Deli on Friday? I didn't think of asking for it, but right now, I sure wish I had! And what about those "Ozzie rolls"?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 16th, 2009, 7:32 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Your rating of the pastrami at Pump's was accurate. The pickle and bread should have been ranked high. Pump's is better with its other Jewish fare, including matzah brei. I believe I DID recommend the brisket.

One curious note: although Bagel Factory is VERY close to Pump's, Pump's gets its bagels from the arch rival Pratzel's, a lot closer to UCity on Olive.

Technically, before I became a follower of Bagel Factory, I was a devotee of Petrofsky's on Delmar (near Midland) by UCity/Clayton. I believe it is no longer around.

My suggestion for the next time: MATZAH BREI... but get the bagels at Bagel Factory. :-bd
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 17th, 2009, 8:50 am

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

I LOVE Boulevard Bagels! The people who own it are friends--their daughter works for our firm.

But as far as Jewish soul food goes, Boulevard Bagels is heavy on the bagels and light on everything else.

Bruegger's reminds me of Panera Bread. It's very much a chain restaurant.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 17th, 2009, 8:58 am

I have a huge bagel confession to make. I really do prefer Dunkin' Donuts bagels to Brueggers.

There, I said it. Whew!
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » August 17th, 2009, 9:02 am

TillyGalore wrote:I have a huge bagel confession to make. I really do prefer Dunkin' Donuts bagels to Brueggers.

There, I said it. Whew!
Consider yourself disowned. X(

Dunkin Donuts bagels trump NOTHING.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2009, 9:10 am

Sue71 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I have a huge bagel confession to make. I really do prefer Dunkin' Donuts bagels to Brueggers.

There, I said it. Whew!

Hey Sue! While you're in Jersey, might I suggest a day trip (via train) for lunch here :D And send the leftovers to us down here!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 17th, 2009, 9:18 am

Sue71 wrote:

There, I said it. Whew!

Yeah! I figured as much.