DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Exercise!

Post by DukePA » August 22nd, 2010, 10:33 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I'm the most un-coordinated person in the world
Wow, I thought I was!
That would be me!! I got laughed out of the only aerobics class I ever attended. Sigh :ymblushing:
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 22nd, 2010, 10:54 am

Lavabe wrote:I believe my Ted Drewe's days are gone, given my lipid tests. Doctor's doubling my daily Zocor. Frozen custard doesn't sit well with the doctor's plan. :Boo:
Maybe your frozen custard days are just on hiatus... Once you get things under control, perhaps you can have a small bit every now and then - don't forget that it's important to feed your soul, too!

I am also trying to bring my cholesterol down, so I'm adding lots of fiber and learning how to count calories and carbs, etc. I have never had to diet before and it's a challenge to learn a new way of thinking about what you eat. My insurance pays for up to 4 visits with a Nutritionist a year, so I took advantage. She gave me a lot of good information and helped me think about ways to plan my meals/snacks. One recommendation was a pair of cookbooks by Brenda J. Ponichtera - Quick and Healthy, and Quick and Healthy vol II. Everything I've made out of them is tasty and filling and is helping me keep track of what I'm eating. It's also made me a bit more organized in getting out the door in the mornings because I've already planned and fixed snacks and lunch for the workday, so I'm not dashing down the street for fast food something or eating something from the vending machine when I don't have time to dash down the street. Walking/running is my main exercise. I don't have a Wii and I know if it's not something I can do going right out my own front door, I'm probably not going to do it. And I figure if I do SOMEthing every day, even if it's only walk around the block, that's better than nothing and will be a routine I can add to over time. On the weekends, I do have a 2 1/4 mile route where I alternate walking and running.

So that was a long way of saying, I'm in. And by the way, while I'm not sure that lack of coordination is the right term, I'd be a serious contender in the clumsy category. My weight loss goal is 15 pounds.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 22nd, 2010, 11:07 am

Now you're all making me ashamed of myself. Just made whole wheat waffles with strawberries and maple syrup for the OP and me for Sunday breakfast. :@) (we did skip the bacon, however)

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2010, 11:26 am

Lavabe wrote:PW-ing for 15 minutes burns how many calories?

[NOTE: blatant attempt to have devildeac post in this thread.] :o)
Probably about 0.3, but that's just an estimate.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2010, 11:28 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I guess this puts the kibosh on the Ted Drewe's thread, right? :twitch:
Not just no, heck no! Ted Drewe's in moderation is a good thing. Noting wrong with a weekly trip to Ted Drewe's. Note to self: need to go to Ted Drewe's today... :D
I believe my Ted Drewe's days are gone, given my lipid tests. Doctor's doubling my daily Zocor. Frozen custard doesn't sit well with the doctor's plan. :Boo:
Of course your Ted Drewe's days are gone as you moved from St. Louis well over a decade ago. 8-| :)) =))
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2010, 9:03 pm

I was lazy today. My only outing was to church, so I worked off half my daily allotment of calories using the Wii. I used a combo of Gold's Gym Cardio Dancing, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout, EA Sports active (step aerobics), and Wii tennis to burn about 300 calories in 2 hrs. Didn't make it to Ted Drewe's.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2010, 9:26 pm

I'm painting tonight..and playing music loudly...so I'm dancing around my living room while waiting for colors to dry. It's a pretty good workout..and fun. :banana-dreads:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 22nd, 2010, 10:17 pm

I was sedentary today, too. I did log about 6700 steps on the pedometer. I hadn't had a day off from exercise all week, though a couple of my days weren't very stressful.

Tomorrow is a gym day. I would like to do 30 minutes of walking and 15 of running, plus some cooldown on an exercise bike, but it's subject to whether I can get "my" treadmill. (The Cybex ones at the gym work well for me; on the others, my shin splints act up and knees hurt.)
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 22nd, 2010, 10:22 pm

Went to the golf course, had a sandwich for lunch, was ready to tee off and the thunder started rumbling. And radar showed rain about to hit. So we went to the movies instead. Saw The Other Guys. Juvenile, but funny!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 23rd, 2010, 9:37 am

2.5 mile walks with the WonderDog, 2 times a day.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 23rd, 2010, 9:42 am

Lavabe wrote:2.5 mile walks with the WonderDog, 2 times a day.
And you're having cholesterol issues. I'm not a doctor, though I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but it sounds like your cholesterol issues are not diet/lifestyle related. Devildeac?
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2010, 9:50 am

TillyGalore wrote:
And you're having cholesterol issues. I'm not a doctor, though I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but it sounds like your cholesterol issues are not diet/lifestyle related. Devildeac?
Lavabe and I have discussed extensively. Privately. You know those HIPPA rules ;) . Now, if he'd like to share then... ;)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 23rd, 2010, 9:56 am

devildeac wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Lavabe and I have discussed extensively. Privately. You know those HIPPA rules ;) . Now, if he'd like to share then... ;)
Yes, I know about HIPPA, but it doesn't apply here as you are not his physician.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 23rd, 2010, 11:16 am

devildeac wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Tilly: My weight loss and blood pressure drop are really GOOD things, but I have put on about 8 lbs since coming back, as there's just SOOOOO much food laying around the house (and so little exercise actually going on as well). These things DO add up pretty quickly.

Note to devildeac: I believe CLD might also experience the SHOCK of food laying around everywhere, when just a few weeks ago, it was scarce.

However, the bigger issue this year in Madagascar was that the food I ate was out of my control. For a good portion, it was extensive white rice eating, sans veggies and fish. Beans yes, but sometimes the rice was paired with boiled papaya, or some other sweetened object. In some cases, for example at the British site, they even went so far as to have a rice pudding breakfast the whole time. That meant white rice, brown sugar, and sweet condensed milk. The three times when it wasn't rice pudding, it was... pancakes (with loads of honey). No matter the work load I had, I believe these dietary habits led to my high triglyceride count.

Contrast this with the normal Malagasy diet; breakfast would have been rice paired with fish (can YOU say Omega 3 acids?), followed by a lunch of either beans&rice or beef & rice, followed by leafy greens and rice for dinner. Still lots of rice, but the pairings and variety are more ideal.

As for my cholesterol, I have discussed these things with devildeac. Although genetics can play a role in my lipid scores, I believe these subtle problems I experienced abroad AND when I returned have played even bigger roles. We'll see how things go for a couple of months. In the meantime, I believe losing 15-20 more lbs or so would be REALLY nice. After all, I'll have to attend a wedding or two next year (got a niece on my side of the family who may be getting married as well). GOT to fit into everything again!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2010, 11:54 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: And you're having cholesterol issues. I'm not a doctor, though I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but it sounds like your cholesterol issues are not diet/lifestyle related. Devildeac?
Tilly: My weight loss and blood pressure drop are really GOOD things, but I have put on about 8 lbs since coming back, as there's just SOOOOO much food laying around the house (and so little exercise actually going on as well). These things DO add up pretty quickly.

Note to devildeac: I believe CLD might also experience the SHOCK of food laying around everywhere, when just a few weeks ago, it was scarce.

However, the bigger issue this year in Madagascar was that the food I ate was out of my control. For a good portion, it was extensive white rice eating, sans veggies and fish. Beans yes, but sometimes the rice was paired with boiled papaya, or some other sweetened object. In some cases, for example at the British site, they even went so far as to have a rice pudding breakfast the whole time. That meant white rice, brown sugar, and sweet condensed milk. The three times when it wasn't rice pudding, it was... pancakes (with loads of honey). No matter the work load I had, I believe these dietary habits led to my high triglyceride count.

Contrast this with the normal Malagasy diet; breakfast would have been rice paired with fish (can YOU say Omega 3 acids?), followed by a lunch of either beans&rice or beef & rice, followed by leafy greens and rice for dinner. Still lots of rice, but the pairings and variety are more ideal.

As for my cholesterol, I have discussed these things with devildeac. Although genetics can play a role in my lipid scores, I believe these subtle problems I experienced abroad AND when I returned have played even bigger roles. We'll see how things go for a couple of months. In the meantime, I believe losing 15-20 more lbs or so would be REALLY nice. After all, I'll have to attend a wedding or two next year (got a niece on my side of the family who may be getting married as well). GOT to fit into everything again!!
And I barely had to lift a finger or raise my voice for Lavabe to tell his tale :D .

Plus, I got 2 more posts out of it :)) =)) .
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 23rd, 2010, 12:00 pm

Lavabe wrote:Tilly: My weight loss and blood pressure drop are really GOOD things, but I have put on about 8 lbs since coming back, as there's just SOOOOO much food laying around the house (and so little exercise actually going on as well). These things DO add up pretty quickly.

It doesn't appear you have or had a high fat diet and you walk 2.5 miles 2/day. My money is on hereditary versus the diet. Not saying you shouldn't lose weight, but I just have a hard time accepting that lifestyle is the reason your cholesterol is high. Shoot! You exercise and watch your eating more than I do, and my numbers are lower than yours.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 23rd, 2010, 1:29 pm

devildeac wrote:And I barely had to lift a finger or raise my voice for Lavabe to tell his tale :D .

Plus, I got 2 more posts out of it :)) =)) .
Play your cards right, and you'll get 4 posts out of it. :D

And that's not even using the Ozzie Method. :)) =))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 23rd, 2010, 6:20 pm

TillyGalore wrote:It doesn't appear you have or had a high fat diet and you walk 2.5 miles 2/day. My money is on hereditary versus the diet. Not saying you shouldn't lose weight, but I just have a hard time accepting that lifestyle is the reason your cholesterol is high. Shoot! You exercise and watch your eating more than I do, and my numbers are lower than yours.
Tilly: I did state that I had been doing SO little exercise since coming home. The 2.5 miles 2x/day is what I have NOW STARTED since we began this exercise group. Also, no one in my immediate family has ever had high triglycerides, and no one else has ever been on a statin for cholesterol. The one family risk group I fall victim to is diabetes, but I've done very well to avoid it for now. I'm not denying that heredity/genetics plays a role, but maybe it doesn't explain a lot of what happened on this one result.

I think the blood work caught me in a mild weight gain phase post-Madagascar. Regardless, time for me to get off the Barcolounger and exercise. :))
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2010, 7:04 pm

Lavabe, do others in your family have cholesterol issues? It's a big problem in my family, and I'm tiptoeing on the edge of having to take lipitor or something similar. I'm really lucky in that my triglycerides and HDL are okay. It's LDL that's bad, but the other two balance it out. Of course, I should also say that two of the people in my family with bad cholesterol eat diets that are high in starch. Gotta have corn, potatoes, and white bread all in the same meal, you know. ;)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2010, 7:09 pm

My exercise calories made the jump from 683 to 700 today. I walked home across Forest Park (227 calories!), and I've surpassed my target for the day. :ymparty:
-- Albert Einstein