Summer Albums!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: Summer Albums!

Post by captmojo » July 13th, 2009, 3:28 pm

"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 13th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Has anyone checked out the new Levon Helm album? The Band are one of my favorites, and he's been getting rave reviews.
I hated to miss his show with John Prine in Atlanta last month.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 13th, 2009, 10:19 pm

wilson wrote:Has anyone checked out the new Levon Helm album? The Band are one of my favorites, and he's been getting rave reviews.
I hated to miss his show with John Prine in Atlanta last month.
When released? I got one a little over a year ago. That was pretty cool.

"I got a woman, she's a pretty good woman at that
We live with her monkey and a Chinese acrobat."
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 13th, 2009, 10:50 pm

I've got "Dirt Farmer".

Need to get new one, "Electric Dirt". I've yet to hear any of it.

Dylan's new one is good.

"Hell is my wife's hometown."
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 14th, 2009, 10:38 am

captmojo wrote:I've got "Dirt Farmer".

Need to get new one, "Electric Dirt". I've yet to hear any of it.

Dylan's new one is good.

"Hell is my wife's hometown."
Dylan's got another new one coming out in November (at least that was the last projected release date I heard). It has a damn cool story:
When Hank Williams died (in the back seat of a Cadillac), among the things he left behind was a notebook full of 25 songs with no music. Finally, sometime last year, his niece got hold of them and decided something should be done with them. Dylan essentially raised his hand and said, "Give me that." Then, he got on the phone and started calling friends to write the music and record the songs. The result was/will be a compilation of lots of music-industry heavyweights, including a bunch of duets. The latest names I've heard are Jack White (of the White Stripes), Willie Nelson, Lucinda Williams, and Alan Jackson.
Ican'tfuckingwait.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » July 14th, 2009, 9:32 pm

wilson wrote: Dylan's got another new one coming out in November (at least that was the last projected release date I heard). It has a damn cool story:
When Hank Williams died (in the back seat of a Cadillac), among the things he left behind was a notebook full of 25 songs with no music. Finally, sometime last year, his niece got hold of them and decided something should be done with them. Dylan essentially raised his hand and said, "Give me that." Then, he got on the phone and started calling friends to write the music and record the songs. The result was/will be a compilation of lots of music-industry heavyweights, including a bunch of duets. The latest names I've heard are Jack White (of the White Stripes), Willie Nelson, Lucinda Williams, and Alan Jackson.
Ican'tfuckingwait.
Interesting. As the story goes, he didn't take on a similar task with unrecorded Woody Guthrie songs in 1967. Thus, we have Billy Bragg and Wilco putting out the Mermaid Avenue albums decades after Dylan supposedly chose not to do the project.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 15th, 2009, 12:41 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
Interesting. As the story goes, he didn't take on a similar task with unrecorded Woody Guthrie songs in 1967. Thus, we have Billy Bragg and Wilco putting out the Mermaid Avenue albums decades after Dylan supposedly chose not to do the project.
...and those albums are brilliant (what, you expected some other assessment from me?).
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Ho humm... Parenting 101

Post by Lavabe » July 17th, 2009, 11:01 am

I generally don't follow pop music, but on the French/European music video channels, there is a song getting a LOT of play. It's a pop ditty by Lily Allen, entitled... Well, it's the F-bomb. And there's no way to blank it out. I have to say, it's a sickingly sweet earworm song, and the video is pretty good. All I can think of is one of BD's first posts on CT. Or was it colchar? Or both?

Is this getting any play in the US? If so, how? Any public outcry? Or has it just been banned?
Thanks,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ho humm... Parenting 101

Post by CathyCA » July 17th, 2009, 11:37 am

Lavabe wrote:I generally don't follow pop music, but on the French/European music video channels, there is a song getting a LOT of play. It's a pop ditty by Lily Allen, entitled... Well, it's the F-bomb. And there's no way to blank it out. I have to say, it's a sickingly sweet earworm song, and the video is pretty good. All I can think of is one of BD's first posts on CT. Or was it colchar? Or both?

Is this getting any play in the US? If so, how? Any public outcry? Or has it just been banned?
Thanks,
Lavabe
I don't know about this song. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll ask my mom if she's familiar with it. She drives my 17 y.o. kid to and from his summer job, and he listens to the Top 20 music channel on her satellite radio.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 26th, 2009, 11:15 pm

Anybody ever listened to Deer Tick?
I bought the latest issue of 'Spin' today because Wilco was on the cover (well, actually, just Jeff Tweedy was on the cover, but the story was all about Wilco), and in the back matter, among the reviews was a bit about this band, describing their latest offering as characterized by "rockabilly rhythms and dueling surf-guitar solos."
Well, in my world, that qualifies as a "yes, please."
I came home, checked them out, and indeed rather enjoyed them, so I downloaded their newest album, "Born on Flag Day." I'd describe them as what would happen if the Old 97s finally just let Rhett Miller go solo, and then replaced him with Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins (and the requisite "edge," as it were). Very much worth a listen (I'm talking to you, rmd).
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 27th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Got two for ya!
http://www.ericsteckel.com/cds.htm
http://www.stonyplainrecords.com/Web/artist.asp?id=347
Yeah, I keep my mojo workin'. If I didn't, I'd go crazie.

Ooops. Too late.

\m/
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 29th, 2009, 10:42 pm

wilson wrote:Anybody ever listened to Deer Tick?
I bought the latest issue of 'Spin' today because Wilco was on the cover (well, actually, just Jeff Tweedy was on the cover, but the story was all about Wilco), and in the back matter, among the reviews was a bit about this band, describing their latest offering as characterized by "rockabilly rhythms and dueling surf-guitar solos."
Well, in my world, that qualifies as a "yes, please."
I came home, checked them out, and indeed rather enjoyed them, so I downloaded their newest album, "Born on Flag Day." I'd describe them as what would happen if the Old 97s finally just let Rhett Miller go solo, and then replaced him with Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins (and the requisite "edge," as it were). Very much worth a listen (I'm talking to you, rmd).
Somehow missed this. I've heard of the band, but never listened. I already have a trip to the record store planned for Saturday (since it's next to the nice bookstore, it's at least a half day event) and will see if I can get a listen. Thanks for the heads up.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.