Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm! Elon Brunchgate menu!

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2010, 8:17 am

Jarhead wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Val's Brisket. Rye bread. And Bud Light :D
Hey, Oz. Thanks for the comment on that EK board, it's the first comment I know about, and I'm so pumped.
I'm not sure just when I can get up there for the Elon game, but I'm sure I'll be there. I have a parking pass for the B7 lot. Does that lot fill up early?

Just back from a nice trip. We've been to several nice places in the Baltic region, but a couple really stand out. Tallin in Estonia, and Høllen, a nice little town west of Kristiansand, Norway are the highlights.

We also got the see Billy Elliot in London. Mrs. Jarhead really enjoyed it. That boy really has some hops. :happy-bouncyblue:
Welcome home. You'll need to bring 2 large bottles (aka bombers) of a fine ale to the Brunchgate. One to share and the other to drink on the way up to the tent 'cuz the B7 lot has a different zip code, IIRC, but it won't fill up very quickly. I'll help you carry/drink one/both of them :D . Just text me or call me on your new cell phone when you arrive and we'll send a guide out to meet you :)) =)) . I'll also have a chilled one waiting for you at the tent for smilie services rendered earlier this summer :obscene-drinkingcheers: .

Can't wait to hear about Billy Elliot. We have season tix to the DPAC and it's one of the headline shows along with Lion King.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2010, 11:06 pm

Devildeacs are good for a dee-licious broccoli salad. And good beer. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 24th, 2010, 12:16 pm

So is THIS the place where one finds out the cookie menu for Brunchgate? :D

So who is making the oatmeal-raisin cookies? :D :D :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 24th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Lavabe wrote:So is THIS the place where one finds out the cookie menu for Brunchgate? :D

So who is making the oatmeal-raisin cookies? :D :D :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
I could make oatmeal-raisin cookies. I haven't signed up for anything yet.
Iron Duke #1471997.
duke2narow
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by duke2narow » August 25th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Jeanne and I should roll in there bet 3-4.

We're bringing Chopped Salad and likely something sweet !

Lizz
Dog Adoption is my specialty
http://www.bfpa.org
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 25th, 2010, 1:38 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:So is THIS the place where one finds out the cookie menu for Brunchgate? :D

I was hoping that Allen would chime in and sing the praises of oatmeal-raisin cookies. Is he a regular Brunchgater?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 25th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Lavabe wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

I was hoping that Allen would chime in and sing the praises of oatmeal-raisin cookies. Is he a regular Brunchgater?
My father (AllenMurray) will be at brunchgate all day on September 4th for the Elon game. I don't know if he has decided what he is planning on bringing, but I will make sure he reads this thread, and thinks about the cookies.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2010, 8:16 am

TNTdevil will be posting his menu update after this weekend, he's working on a large catering job right now. He has also asked for, and been given, moderator status so he can help keep the menu thread organized and dedicated to the menu. I'm assuming this will mean that at some point you will see some of the posts in this thread be moved to the social discussion thread. This will help everyone stay better informed as game time(s) approach who's bringing what.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 26th, 2010, 9:51 pm

allen wrote:The new job is like herding cats. Except the cats are really mountain lions. And they are rabid. And you have to herd them barefoot. And they are all hungry. And you are covered in gravy. :veryconfused:

Needless to say I've been incredibly busy with the opening of school, where I am responsibile for oversight of all of the special education progams in all of the middle schools in Durham. Very little time to post, much less PW. :sigh:

However, there will be time to bake for the Elon game. Either a batch of oatmeal raisen cookies or a homemade carrot cake. If someone wants to start a poll I'll let the readers decide. I have yet to decide on a main dish. I'm thinking a seafood dish that can be served cold - maybe some cilantro/lime shrimp?
Sounds like you have your hands full at work. Have fun!

I vote oatmeal raisin cookies, love 'em. Not fond of carrot cake. And the players love 'em after the game too! :happy-bouncyblue:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 26th, 2010, 9:54 pm

allen wrote:The new job is like herding cats. Except the cats are really mountain lions. And they are rabid. And you have to herd them barefoot. And they are all hungry. And you are covered in gravy. :veryconfused:

Needless to say I've been incredibly busy with the opening of school, where I am responsibile for oversight of all of the special education progams in all of the middle schools in Durham. Very little time to post, much less PW. :sigh:

However, there will be time to bake for the Elon game. Either a batch of oatmeal raisen cookies or a homemade carrot cake. If someone wants to start a poll I'll let the readers decide. I have yet to decide on a main dish. I'm thinking a seafood dish that can be served cold - maybe some cilantro/lime shrimp?
Since Lawgrad91 is bringing oatmeal raisin cookies, I vote carrot cake.
I worship the Blue Devil!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 26th, 2010, 9:56 pm

If Allen has famous oatmeal raisin cookies, I'll be glad to do something else!
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2010, 11:35 pm

OR cookies for the Elon game and carrot cake for the Alabama game :D . Best of both worlds.

The cilantro/lime shrimp sounds great, especially cold.

Welcome back.

Congrats on the new job, no matter how frustrating it may be.
allen

Post by allen » August 27th, 2010, 9:18 am

I'm not really famous for the quality of my oatmeal cookies. I'm famous for creating an uproar OY a few years back when I claimed (and still believe) that oatmeal raisen cookies are far superior to chocolate chip cookies. The furor that statement caused still haunts me. Of course, having now tasted the chocolatre chip cookies prepared by some of the Brunchgate crew I have relaxed my rigid standards of cookiedom.

I will make carrot cake. If it is really hot day the cake will arrive withoug icing as the cream cheese icing will melt like snow and create a mess. I'll bring the icing in a separate container and we'll deal with it then.

I've tamed a large number of the mountan lions. The first days of school are always hectic - no where moreso than for children in special education programs, some of whom are quite medically fragile (or cognitive delayed and non-verbal), require special transportation, medical care, nursing assistance, etc.). There are some incredibly caring and skilled angels out there who work their hands to the bone to care for these children, (chilidren who many folks are not even aware the public schools serve).
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 27th, 2010, 10:59 am

allen wrote:I'm not really famous for the quality of my oatmeal cookies. I'm famous for creating an uproar OY a few years back when I claimed (and still believe) that oatmeal raisen cookies are far superior to chocolate chip cookies. The furor that statement caused still haunts me. Of course, having now tasted the chocolatre chip cookies prepared by some of the Brunchgate crew I have relaxed my rigid standards of cookiedom.

I will make carrot cake. If it is really hot day the cake will arrive withoug icing as the cream cheese icing will melt like snow and create a mess. I'll bring the icing in a separate container and we'll deal with it then.

I've tamed a large number of the mountan lions. The first days of school are always hectic - no where moreso than for children in special education programs, some of whom are quite medically fragile (or cognitive delayed and non-verbal), require special transportation, medical care, nursing assistance, etc.). There are some incredibly caring and skilled angels out there who work their hands to the bone to care for these children, (chilidren who many folks are not even aware the public schools serve).
Allen, if you are making carrot cake, I will make oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm not famous for my oatmeal raisin cookies, just my Christmas cookies, but it's a little early for that.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 27th, 2010, 11:11 am

allen wrote:I'm not really famous for the quality of my oatmeal cookies. I'm famous for creating an uproar OY a few years back when I claimed (and still believe) that oatmeal raisen cookies are far superior to chocolate chip cookies. The furor that statement caused still haunts me. Of course, having now tasted the chocolatre chip cookies prepared by some of the Brunchgate crew I have relaxed my rigid standards of cookiedom.

Actually, it's just one current mod (cough, cough) who continues to discuss/refer to the OR vs CC cookie summit we had on DBR 2-3 years ago.
Great idea/plan about the carrot cake. I am a chocoholic but can readily snarf up a slice or two of a fine carrot cake. =p~ :ymbringiton:
Cheermom

Post by Cheermom » August 28th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Since this is my first Brunchgate, I'd appreciate feedback on menu options. I was thinking of a veggie platter, fruit, pasta salad. Happy to do all three or any combination thereof. Also who brings plates, utensils, cups? I am happy to do that, but I don't think we will be arriving until around noon.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Cheermom wrote:Since this is my first Brunchgate, I'd appreciate feedback on menu options. I was thinking of a veggie platter, fruit, pasta salad. Happy to do all three or any combination thereof. Also who brings plates, utensils, cups? I am happy to do that, but I don't think we will be arriving until around noon.
Any of the above would be fine with us I would think. We have usually brought our own plates, utensils, cups, napkins but TNTDevil often has a bunch, too. Any of those would be great, too. I'll bet the next few days brings a flurry of posts here and TNTDevil often summarizes the list in a post or 2 as the week progresses :-w :whistle: .

Noon? Hah? You'll be way late (jk ;) :D ). CB&B, TNTDevil and CowboyDevil commonly arrive mid to late AM for a 7 PM game. Ozzie said he'll be there about 10 AM. We usually get there about 3 hours before kick-off.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 28th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Cheermom wrote:Since this is my first Brunchgate, I'd appreciate feedback on menu options. I was thinking of a veggie platter, fruit, pasta salad. Happy to do all three or any combination thereof. Also who brings plates, utensils, cups? I am happy to do that, but I don't think we will be arriving until around noon.
Noon will be plenty early enough. TNT usually has utensils and stuff, I make sure I have some cups (for beers and mimosas) but more of all the above are probably welcome, since we will be larger this year. A veggie platter always goes a long way. I think our main courses will be well covered, so anything that serves as appetizers or side dishes will be perfect.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TNTDevil

Post by TNTDevil » August 29th, 2010, 3:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Noon will be plenty early enough. TNT usually has utensils and stuff, I make sure I have some cups (for beers and mimosas) but more of all the above are probably welcome, since we will be larger this year. A veggie platter always goes a long way. I think our main courses will be well covered, so anything that serves as appetizers or side dishes will be perfect.
My catering gig is done with only the AA report to be written so, it is now time to get effing serious about the 2010 season opening tailgate- my 12th in a row- BITCHES! (I know, I know- I invented the term "Brunchgate" but... IT ONLY EFFING APPLIES TO NOON KICKOFFS! OK, better now... meds kicking in...)

umm... Given my new Super Hero Power of Moderation on this thread, I'm compelled to to wonder... if absolute power corrupts absolutely. Does Moderator power corrupt moderately? (Thank you! I'll be here all week! Try the Sea Bass and tip your servers!)

Later today, I'll post the overall "menu", along with my contributions. But, if I may, given that our party has so wonderfully expanded, I would like to offer a few suggestions to the group: (listed in order of importance!)

1) You don't NEED to bring anything! We usually have more than enough, of everything, for everyone. If you want to contribute- see below.

2) When posting include the number in your party and what you will contribute (again, refer to suggestion #1) You'll notice when I post I'll have an extensive menu because I normally have a number of guests in my company. Therefore, I bring enough for my crew and plenty more.

3) This is a T-A-I-L-G-A-T-E! Best results are gained by coming early! The "balloon" drops 60-90 minutes prior to kick-off. If you show up thirty minutes prior to KO, you might hafta' wait until the after party to eat. ;)

4) Check the "Menu" as posted by Your's Truly- TNTDevil. It's the comprehensive view of what will be available! If there's something unique you want to add or, you have some special nutritional requirements bring it on! If you're unsure- see below.

5) If you want to contribute (which isn't required) but the menu is complete, then there are still multiple options:
  • Non-perishable foods- Mixed nuts, peanuts (HR, Spicy, whatev.), Smoked/Raw almonds etc. Another good option is Sandwich crackers (in individually wrapped packs), fruit cups etc. Cheeses are another good item. These items, if not completely consumed, can be stored and used at subsequent games. All too often last year people brought "cheese doodles", chips, jarred salsa etc. that just winds up getting thrown away. A waste of money.
  • Papergoods- Paper towels, plates, napkins, cups, cutlery. I usually have plenty of this stuff but, given how our group has grown, more stuff is better. However, I have a very strong opinion on this issue- Please don't buy/bring crappy stuff! No wafer thin paper plates. no single-ply napkins, no flimsy cutlery. I'm not trying to be a bitch but, nobody ever uses the thin paper plates, et. al., they utilize the "good" stuff, and the cheap stuff gets thrown out.
  • Beverages, beverages, beverages... preferably of the adult variety! :) You've signed on- it's time to ride the lightening! Of course we can always use water (preferably in gallon jugs as opposed to bottles- less expensive and less plastic waste), sports drinks, juice, and sodas are good as well.
  • Kid friendly foods- hot dogs, burgers and accompanying buns, is helpful. (Anyone bringing "Bubba" burgers will be skinned alive, with the corkscrew of my Swiss Army Knife.) There's generally no need to bring condiments unless you desire something "special" as we typically have plenty of Ketchup, mustards, etc.
6) Last suggestion- don't forget your sunscreen and chairs. Even though our tailgate spot is primo and offers lots of natural and tent shade, Wally Wade can be like a sitting in a solar oven and failure to apply sunscreen can make your Sunday very uncomfortable!

Okay, that's all for now, I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so feel free to add your own suggestions.

Peace,
TNT
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 29th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Attendance: CathyCA + 4 in my entourage = 5
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith