Vibes for College Apps!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Vibes for College Apps!

Post by Miles » August 17th, 2010, 7:53 am

There is a wealth knowledge here, as you can already see. Best of luck to you and no matter what happens, I hope you enjoy yourself.
sMiles
Native
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 8:51 am

Thanks again for all the vibes, guys! :ymhug:

On the Common Application, I don't think it lets you report both your weighted and unweighted GPA's. I have a 4.0 unweighted and a 4.8 weighted. Which should I report? 4.0 is impressive, but a 4.8 shows the rigor of my coursework. If it's the same as my class rank is determined, then it's weighted.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2010, 9:17 am

Native wrote:Thanks again for all the vibes, guys! :ymhug:

On the Common Application, I don't think it lets you report both your weighted and unweighted GPA's. I have a 4.0 unweighted and a 4.8 weighted. Which should I report? 4.0 is impressive, but a 4.8 shows the rigor of my coursework. If it's the same as my class rank is determined, then it's weighted.
I don't know the real answer to your question, but I think that if you put down 4.8 they would know/assume it's a weighted GPA since it's over 4.0. Then again, if it is an online application, it may not allow you to put down more than a 4.0. Plus, they'll see your transcript and see all the honors and AP classes you've taken, so it probably doesn't matter much.

As to ED ( =)) nice to know it's being read here as Early Decision and not the "other thing"), back in the day I applied to Duke, Ga Tech and Cornell, all early decision, and was accepted by all three. I didn't know I was only supposed to do that with one school. I wanted to make an early decision, and that's what mattered to me. Of course, back in the fall of 1971 the institutions weren't all interconnected by computers...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 9:21 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I don't know the real answer to your question, but I think that if you put down 4.8 they would know/assume it's a weighted GPA since it's over 4.0. Then again, if it is an online application, it may not allow you to put down more than a 4.0. Plus, they'll see your transcript and see all the honors and AP classes you've taken, so it probably doesn't matter much.
Truth. Thanks for the advice! There is a space to say whether the GPA weighting is weighted or unweighted, so that's not what matters. I'll put 4.8 because I'm pretty sure that's how my class rank is computed as well.
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: As to ED ( =)) nice to know it's being read here as Early Decision and not the "other thing"), back in the day I applied to Duke, Ga Tech and Cornell, all early decision, and was accepted by all three. I didn't know I was only supposed to do that with one school. I wanted to make an early decision, and that's what mattered to me. Of course, back in the fall of 1971 the institutions weren't all interconnected by computers...
=)) =)) =))
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2010, 9:29 am

Native wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I don't know the real answer to your question, but I think that if you put down 4.8 they would know/assume it's a weighted GPA since it's over 4.0. Then again, if it is an online application, it may not allow you to put down more than a 4.0. Plus, they'll see your transcript and see all the honors and AP classes you've taken, so it probably doesn't matter much.
Truth. Thanks for the advice! There is a space to say whether the GPA weighting is weighted or unweighted, so that's not what matters. I'll put 4.8 because I'm pretty sure that's how my class rank is computed as well.
Upon further review, isn't the 4.0 unweighted GPA more impressive than the weighted 4.8? I interpret the 4.0 as meaning that you never got any grade less than 4.0, since those over 4.0 (the weighted courses) are reported as 4.0, but the non-honors/AP courses could be much less than an A/4.0, and way back in 9th grade you didn't get a B in some course you didn't care about - you got an A.

Any idea what the absolute maximum weighted GPA could have been if you got all perfect A grades in your honors/AP classes? Or did you do that?!!!

Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 9:35 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Upon further review, isn't the 4.0 unweighted GPA more impressive than the weighted 4.8? I interpret the 4.0 as meaning that you never got any grade less than 4.0, since those over 4.0 (the weighted courses) are reported as 4.0, but the non-honors/AP courses could be much less than an A/4.0, and way back in 9th grade you didn't get a B in some course you didn't care about - you got an A.

Any idea what the absolute maximum weighted GPA could have been if you got all perfect A grades in your honors/AP classes? Or did you do that?!!!
I did. I have a perfect 4.0 unweighted GPA with 5 AP's under my belt and I'm taking 4 more this year. I expect to have a perfect 4.0 by the end of my school year and I hope to break a 5 weighted. Meaning, hopefully, I will have never gotten anything below an A in any class. Ever. :D

I'm thinking a 4.0 is more impressive -- I have until November if I'm applying ED so I can always change it. Best believe this application will be SCOURED, proofread, and quardruple-checked a thousand times over. :-BD
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2010, 10:06 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Native wrote:
Upon further review, isn't the 4.0 unweighted GPA more impressive than the weighted 4.8? I interpret the 4.0 as meaning that you never got any grade less than 4.0, since those over 4.0 (the weighted courses) are reported as 4.0, but the non-honors/AP courses could be much less than an A/4.0, and way back in 9th grade you didn't get a B in some course you didn't care about - you got an A.

There have been reports of some HS kids taking 7 AP courses during each semester (instead of the usual 6 with standard/non-block scheduling) by scheduling a class instead of lunch. Also, some students will take a course at a local college and get a 6 instead of your standard 5 which is earned for an A in an AP class. This can further augment one's GPA well into the 5.XX range. We regularly see the valedictorians in Wake County HS reporting GPAs of 5.3 and 5.4 in the newspaper each June. :-B :-B
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 10:10 am

devildeac wrote: There have been reports of some HS kids taking 7 AP courses during each semester (instead of the usual 6 with standard/non-block scheduling) by scheduling a class instead of lunch. Also, some students will take a course at a local college and get a 6 instead of your standard 5 which is earned for an A in an AP class. This can further augment one's GPA well into the 5.XX range. We regularly see the valedictorians in Wake County HS reporting GPAs of 5.3 and 5.4 in the newspaper each June. :-B :-B
Well, my school awards 6 grade points for an A in an AP class, 5 in an honors, and 4 for academic. We're on block scheduling, though, so I can only take 4 classes a semester and my freshman and sophomore years were primarily devoted to completing the prerequisites necessary to take AP's. I took one my sophomore year, four last year, and four this year. Hopefully with the three honors I'm also taking this year I can break the 5 barrier. I still think a 4.8 at the time of application isn't too shabby though.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2010, 10:21 am

Native wrote:
devildeac wrote: There have been reports of some HS kids taking 7 AP courses during each semester (instead of the usual 6 with standard/non-block scheduling) by scheduling a class instead of lunch. Also, some students will take a course at a local college and get a 6 instead of your standard 5 which is earned for an A in an AP class. This can further augment one's GPA well into the 5.XX range. We regularly see the valedictorians in Wake County HS reporting GPAs of 5.3 and 5.4 in the newspaper each June. :-B :-B
Well, my school awards 6 grade points for an A in an AP class, 5 in an honors, and 4 for academic. We're on block scheduling, though, so I can only take 4 classes a semester and my freshman and sophomore years were primarily devoted to completing the prerequisites necessary to take AP's. I took one my sophomore year, four last year, and four this year. Hopefully with the three honors I'm also taking this year I can break the 5 barrier. I still think a 4.8 at the time of application isn't too shabby though.
Bad math on my part. You are right. I stand corrected. 6=A in AP courses, 5=B in AP courses, and so forth. I think the students in Wake County HS get a 6.25 or 6.5 if they get an A in a college class they take at NCSU.

Duke admissions takes into consideration the "load" you have taken and what is available at your HS. Some HS have hundreds or perhaps thousands of AP courses available (jk). Others might have a dozen or less. They look to see how much you have challenged yourself with what is available at your HS.
Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 10:24 am

devildeac wrote: Bad math on my part. You are right. I stand corrected. 6=A in AP courses, 5=B in AP courses, and so forth. I think the students in Wake County HS get a 6.25 or 6.5 if they get an A in a college class they take at NCSU.

Duke admissions takes into consideration the "load" you have taken and what is available at your HS. Some HS have hundreds or perhaps thousands of AP courses available (jk). Others might have a dozen or less. They look to see how much you have challenged yourself with what is available at your HS.

I'd like to think I've done that. With AP Statistics this year, I'll have taken every AP Math my school offers, in addition to every AP English. The only area I've not taken pretty much everything offered is the sciences, where I took Honors Biology and Honors Chemistry and moved on. Not particularly my field of interest, so I decided against taking those AP's when I already have an A in the honors course. Plus, with Student Government Presidency, Varsity Lacrosse Captaincy, and all my other EC's I wanted some balance.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2010, 10:57 am

Native, I am truly impressed with your achievements!

Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 10:59 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Native, I am truly impressed with your achievements!
Thanks so much Ozzie! Now, let's just hope the Admissions department is as well! :D

It's so refreshing to hear that someone's impressed -- I'm still 16th in my class of 553. My high school is extremely competitive with regards to grades, but no one above me in class rank can match my EC's and involvement at school.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2010, 11:22 am

Native wrote:
devildeac wrote: Bad math on my part. You are right. I stand corrected. 6=A in AP courses, 5=B in AP courses, and so forth. I think the students in Wake County HS get a 6.25 or 6.5 if they get an A in a college class they take at NCSU.

I'd like to think I've done that. With AP Statistics this year, I'll have taken every AP Math my school offers, in addition to every AP English. The only area I've not taken pretty much everything offered is the sciences, where I took Honors Biology and Honors Chemistry and moved on. Not particularly my field of interest, so I decided against taking those AP's when I already have an A in the honors course. Plus, with Student Government Presidency, Varsity Lacrosse Captaincy, and all my other EC's I wanted some balance.
Sounds/looks extremely solid. GPA, courses, extracurriculars, athletics. Any community/church service activities/projects? I agree with you on the SATs. Take a review course or buy a few review manuals and work like heck through them.
Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 11:31 am

devildeac wrote:
Native wrote:

Sounds/looks extremely solid. GPA, courses, extracurriculars, athletics. Any community/church service activities/projects? I agree with you on the SATs. Take a review course or buy a few review manuals and work like heck through them.
I had a document I tried to cut and paste on here, but I guess it was too long.

Not much in the way of church stuff -- familiy's not too religious. I volunteer weekly at a place in Durham called Kramden Institute, whiech refurbishes donated computers and awards them for free to hardworking grade schoolchildren who have been nominated by their teachers and have no computer at home. Really rewarding, gratifying stuff -- I've learned a lot about computers and have made some great friends too. I never thought I could open up a computer tower and triage it, but I've learned how.

I've also done a few service projects through Student Government and Varsity Club, and I also am shooting a video for an organization called Toxic Free NC, which advocates against pesticide use and for organic agriculture.

I ws elected class president my freshman year without a run-off; basically, no matter the number of candidates, you have to have 50% of the vote or you run-off. I won a multi-candidate race my freshman and sophomore years, and then won Student Body VP and Student Body President my junior and senior years uncontested -- no one ran against me.

I'm the founding president of my school's Varsity Club, which aims to provide varsity student-athletes with an opportunity to give back to their schools and communities. I was a JV lacrosse captain my freshman year, lettered varsity and won scholar athlete for sophomore year, did the same but was a captain my junior year, and I am also a captain for my upcoming senior season. I'm also the founding Captain of the Catamount Club, which is a freshman/peer mentoring group focused towards new students. I was a freshman mentor last year, but this year the guidance counselors decided to make it a year-long club and named me a Captain responsible for organizing and running our freshman orientation day.

I also work for a company called TigerSwan, which is a government contractor founded by two 20+ year Delta Force/Army Ranger veterans. I've worked there for the past two summers.

I have NHS membership, Junior Marshal, I'm a 13-time Student Choice award winner (awarded by students to the person who best represents Panther Creek, I have the most at my high school) and a two-time Teacher's choice award winner. There's more, but it's much more concise on my list that I have on my home computer.

SAT's are it for me. I know every other student has everything I just listed, but I like my chances if I can get my SAT's up.

:D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2010, 11:44 am

A note on your writing style - too many "I was"es, although the list is impressive. Might want to use a bulleted style when you write your essay, or something similar. And check for typos. Using Firefox, it underlines misspellings in red when I type them. It doesn't like "bulleted" above at all... ;)

With your strong math/science background, are you looking at Trinity or Pratt Engineering? Pre-med maybe?

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2010, 11:46 am

Native wrote: I volunteer weekly at a place in Durham called Kramden Institute, which refurbishes donated computers and awards them for free to hardworking grade schoolchildren who have been nominated by their teachers and have no computer at home.
Glad to know that the Kramden Institute isn't a school for bus drivers. =)) =)) =))

Native, you may not be old enough to get that reference/joke. B-)

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 17th, 2010, 11:48 am

Native, your application will be very impressive. Your grades are high, your EC's at school are exemplary and show leadership qualities, and have solid volunteer experiences.

I remember reading (TIME magazine, maybe?) about a young lady who had applied to Duke (probably in the early 1990's) and had wowed her admissions interviewer to the point that he told you, "Why, you've done everything but paint your room Duke blue." In a week or so, she sent the interviewer a picture of herself, paintbrush in hand, painting her room Duke blue. Needless to say, she was accepted.

Other than tweaking your SAT's and painting your room Duke blue, you've done everything else.

Good luck! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 17th, 2010, 11:49 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Native wrote: I volunteer weekly at a place in Durham called Kramden Institute, which refurbishes donated computers and awards them for free to hardworking grade schoolchildren who have been nominated by their teachers and have no computer at home.
Glad to know that the Kramden Institute isn't a school for bus drivers. =)) =)) =))

Native, you may not be old enough to get that reference/joke. B-)
=)) =)) =))

Native, ask your grandparents about "The Honeymooners." They may still be on Nick at Nite.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 11:51 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:A note on your writing style - too many "I was"es, although the list is impressive. Might want to use a bulleted style when you write your essay, or something similar. And check for typos. Using Firefox, it underlines misspellings in red when I type them. It doesn't like "bulleted" above at all... ;)

With your strong math/science background, are you looking at Trinity or Pratt Engineering? Pre-med maybe?
Thanks for the advice on the writing style -- I'll keep that in mind when doing my essays. The repetitive "Iwas" was simply a result of me trying to list everything. Regarding typos, I'm using Internet Explorer right now and the reply box keeps jumping the scroll bar up to the top of the page, so it's hard to see what I'm typing.

I'm considering engineering, but I'll have to get a better math SAT if that's the case. Over half of Pratt's admits last year had a perfect score on the math segment of the SAT. I'm also considering computer science and I'll likely pursue a certificate in Film and Video regardless of my major.

Don't get the Honeymooners reference, but thanks for the kind words regarding my application! I guess I'm just looking for reasurrance more than anything else -- applying to college is terrifying, yet exciting at the same time.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 17th, 2010, 12:20 pm

Native wrote:Don't get the Honeymooners reference, but thanks for the kind words regarding my application! I guess I'm just looking for reasurrance more than anything else -- applying to college is terrifying, yet exciting at the same time.
Ralph Kramden was the name of a character on "The Honeymooners." He drove a bus.
Iron Duke #1471997.