On Average, Where do you Keep Your Thermostat Set?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

This Summer, Where do you Keep Your Thermostat Set To?

1. 85 or higher
No votes
2. 82 - 84 F
5%
3. 80 - 81 F
No votes
4. 78 - 79 F
16%
5. 76 - 77 F
16%
6. 74 - 75 F
11%
7. 72 - 73 F
47%
8. 70 - 71 F
5%
9. Lower than 70
No votes

Total votes: 19
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: On Average, Where do you Keep Your Thermostat Set?

Post by captmojo » August 10th, 2010, 6:39 pm

It stays at 72. It's a degree or two out of calibration but as long as I know, it's OK.
Cold in the morning will last longer throughout the day.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 10th, 2010, 6:40 pm

This antique shack is heavily insulated.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
throatybeard
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by throatybeard » August 10th, 2010, 9:28 pm

72 summer, 64 winter.

Of course, this summer has been so bad, that we put it at 70 overnight to pad in for when it can't keep it below 77 or 78 in the worst part of the afternoon. This means it'll actually stay under 75 until maybe 3pm instead of 1pm.
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » August 10th, 2010, 9:29 pm

bjornolf wrote:We never go above 70 on our thermostat. Sometimes we go in the 60s. I can't stand it hot and my wife can't breathe if it gets hot. This summer has sucked, as our AC hasn't been able to keep it below about 72.

@};-
I love you.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 10th, 2010, 10:56 pm

throatybeard wrote:72 summer, 64 winter.

Of course, this summer has been so bad, that we put it at 70 overnight to pad in for when it can't keep it below 77 or 78 in the worst part of the afternoon. This means it'll actually stay under 75 until maybe 3pm instead of 1pm.
We do the same thing; try to get a head start and super cool the house before the afternoon heat kicks in. We live in an old, drafty house. It's so bad that you can walk past the front door and the heat blasts you like a hair dryer. Thankfully, my office doesn't get any of the morning sun and it's partially shaded by gigantic trees and a hideously ugly, out of place McMansion that blocks the afternoon sun.
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 10th, 2010, 11:05 pm

Miles wrote:

We do the same thing; try to get a head start and super cool the house before the afternoon heat kicks in. We live in an old, drafty house. It's so bad that you can walk past the front door and the heat blasts you like a hair dryer. Thankfully, my office doesn't get any of the morning sun and it's partially shaded by gigantic trees and a hideously ugly, out of place McMansion that blocks the afternoon sun.
You both need an e3 to cut your electric bills. Follow my link to read about it.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 10th, 2010, 11:15 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Miles wrote:

You both need an e3 to cut your electric bills. Follow my link to read about it.
Always the salesman ;) .

With those summer settings, I can't imagine the electric bills. If we set our place at 70 or 72 in the summer, I'd feel so cold that I would need to wear a sweater and trousers indoors all the time. We come back for a walk at 9 or 10 PM and feel like we are entering a 'fridge if our temperature is 77 or 78 inside. I'm just too cold in the winter to go much below 68 indoors but I admire the folks who can set their electric/gas heat at 64. We used to set it at 66 in the winter but I found out gas heat is MUCH cheaper than an attorney :ymblushing: .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 11th, 2010, 12:01 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Miles wrote:

We're renting, so the 2 - 5 year ROI doesn't make much sense. But I promise to get in touch when we purchase.
sMiles
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » August 11th, 2010, 2:06 am

Programmable thermostats rule. During the days when we're gone, in the summer, 70-77 is acceptable. At night, when we're home, 74 is the max. Asleep, the range is 66-76.

In the winter, its 72-78, 72-80, 66-80.

Those hours (day, return, sleep, wake), are programmed differently for weekdays and weekends.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 11th, 2010, 12:11 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Programmable thermostats rule. During the days when we're gone, in the summer, 70-77 is acceptable. At night, when we're home, 74 is the max. Asleep, the range is 66-76.

In the winter, its 72-78, 72-80, 66-80.

Those hours (day, return, sleep, wake), are programmed differently for weekdays and weekends.
Doesn't it cost more to run it programmed like that?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.