The 80's Brat Pack

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: The 80's Brat Pack

Post by Miles » August 3rd, 2010, 3:57 pm

Lavabe wrote:BREAKFAST CLUB was on yesterday. Upon watching it again, I am now moving over towards CB&B's way of thinking about Ally Sheedy. I didn't think she was that good in St. Elmo's Fire, but she really was the best actor in Breakfast Club. Judd Nelson was over the top, Ringwald was typical, Estevez was okay, and AMHall was useless. Maybe Sheedy's part was better written? I don't think so. I think she took the direction very well, and just nailed the part.

Still love the scene where she makes her cereal sandwich!
I liked the dandruff snow on art.
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 3rd, 2010, 5:09 pm

Miles wrote:
Lavabe wrote:BREAKFAST CLUB was on yesterday. Upon watching it again, I am now moving over towards CB&B's way of thinking about Ally Sheedy. I didn't think she was that good in St. Elmo's Fire, but she really was the best actor in Breakfast Club. Judd Nelson was over the top, Ringwald was typical, Estevez was okay, and AMHall was useless. Maybe Sheedy's part was better written? I don't think so. I think she took the direction very well, and just nailed the part.

Still love the scene where she makes her cereal sandwich!
I liked the dandruff snow on art.
I liked the dandruff snow, too!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 5th, 2010, 12:46 am

Funnily enough, this article was in the Toronto Star tonight:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/mo ... n-top?bn=1
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 5th, 2010, 8:20 am

colchar wrote:Funnily enough, this article was in the Toronto Star tonight:

Thanks for the link. Peculiar timing, eh? Perhaps we know where a CTN lurker works.

I agree completely with Mare Winningham. VERY underrated at the time, but the Emmy and Grey's Anatomy really were good milestones.

WAY too high of a ranking for Andrew McCarthy. I also wish they had scored John Hughes. He should have had a 25 score.

Umm... on Rob Lowe, wouldn't you think his appearance in Austin Powers should have been mentioned? ;)

I didn't realize that the two movies came out only 4 months apart. BIZARRE!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 5th, 2010, 8:21 am

colchar wrote:Funnily enough, this article was in the Toronto Star tonight:

Cool article. I've read Andrew McCarthy and enjoy what he has to say. He gets my vote for most successful Brat Packer, especially for apparently dropping out of the Hollywood Scene.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 5th, 2010, 9:01 am

Don't forget that McCarthy was the bad guy in "Getting In", a horribly cheesy movie that was filmed almost entirely at Duke! It was about a kid trying to get into med school at John's Hopkins by bribing the six people in front of him on the list. The sixth guy on the list, Andrew McCarthy, ends up following him around, murdering the others and framing him. It's pretty funny. There are a LOT of Duke shots in it, though.

Its cast included Kristy Swanson, Christine Baranski, Dave Chappelle, Andrew McCarthy, Matthew Perry, Joanne Pankow, and Calista Flockhart. I like Kristy Swanson, and I'm a HUGE fan of Christine Baranski, and I've always liked Dave Chappelle. Matthew Perry is pretty funny in it, and Joanne Pankow is always good for a laugh from me.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 5th, 2010, 10:08 am

bjornolf wrote: Its cast included Kristy Swanson, Christine Baranski, Dave Chappelle, Andrew McCarthy, Matthew Perry, Joanne Pankow, and Calista Flockhart. I like Kristy Swanson, and I'm a HUGE fan of Christine Baranski, and I've always liked Dave Chappelle. Matthew Perry is pretty funny in it, and Joanne Pankow is always good for a laugh from me.
I'm assuming that means that Calista Flockhart sucked. :))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 5th, 2010, 1:54 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CB&B wrote:
bjornolf wrote: Its cast included Kristy Swanson, Christine Baranski, Dave Chappelle, Andrew McCarthy, Matthew Perry, Joanne Pankow, and Calista Flockhart. I like Kristy Swanson, and I'm a HUGE fan of Christine Baranski, and I've always liked Dave Chappelle. Matthew Perry is pretty funny in it, and Joanne Pankow is always good for a laugh from me.
No, not really. I don't really remember her role in it. I was more saying who I was a fan of who was in the movie. I'm just not generally a Calista Flockhart fan.

@};-
This post confuses me. CBB, did you quote yourself from a previous post that has not mysteriously disappeared?
I worship the Blue Devil!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 5th, 2010, 1:58 pm

My bad, something is working right with my quoting. I added the quotes because it didn't seem to be appearing. Then it popped it in at the end and I didn't notice.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 5th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Oh, NOW I see what I did. I MEANT to hit "quote" and accidentally hit "edit" on CB&B's post. I'll fix it!

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 5th, 2010, 2:01 pm

No, not really. I don't really remember her role in it. I was more saying who I was a fan of who was in the movie. I'm just not generally a Calista Flockhart fan.

There, that's better. Sorry.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 5th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Did something screw up here? Looks like a post was somehow lost.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 5th, 2010, 2:08 pm

bjornolf wrote:

There, that's better. Sorry.

@};-
So much better. Thanks for fixing the quotes.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 5th, 2010, 2:20 pm

bjornolf wrote:Oh, NOW I see what I did. I MEANT to hit "quote" and accidentally hit "edit" on CB&B's post. I'll fix it!

@};-
You did that to me TWICE yesterday in the Brett Fav-ruh thread.
/:)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 5th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Lavabe wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Oh, NOW I see what I did. I MEANT to hit "quote" and accidentally hit "edit" on CB&B's post. I'll fix it!

@};-
You did that to me TWICE yesterday in the Brett Fav-ruh thread.
/:)
THAT must be why I thought the quote button was screwed up. My bad man, sorry. Ironic that I'd do that to my fellow MOD. Now I know how to do it. Sorry, man. Mea culpa. I went back and fixed it.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 5th, 2010, 3:07 pm

bjornolf wrote:My bad, something is working right with my quoting. I added the quotes because it didn't seem to be appearing. Then it popped it in at the end and I didn't notice.

@};-
You selected "edit" instead of quote..it's a button that you didn't have before (except for on your own posts). Now that you are a mod, you have it for all posts. Careful with your buttons! The wield amazing power! :veryconfused: :wizard:
So you edited mine somehow...
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 5th, 2010, 11:18 pm

bjornolf wrote:My bad, something is working right with my quoting. I added the quotes because it didn't seem to be appearing. Then it popped it in at the end and I didn't notice.

@};-
You selected "edit" instead of quote..it's a button that you didn't have before (except for on your own posts). Now that you are a mod, you have it for all posts. Careful with your buttons! The wield amazing power! :veryconfused: :wizard:

He's new, give him time.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 6th, 2010, 7:22 am

colchar wrote:

@};-

He's new, give him time.
So am I... give me time. :)) =)) :o) 8-} :ymparty: