Moderator Thoughts, with EarlJam

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Moderator Thoughts, with EarlJam

Post by bjornolf » August 3rd, 2009, 3:40 pm

I like it in a glass with some cranberry juice. Maybe a little club soda if I'm feeling crazy. Lots of ice.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 3:41 pm

captmojo wrote:
EarlJam wrote:...What's in the vodka over there? :D

-EJ
This may be one example...
Stolnaya.jpg
Dredging up the past. Not sure if it warrants a new thread but... :?:
Has anyone tried this stuff?
Stolnaya Peperoni

A local retired industrialist recently went to Russia and came back with a bottle of this stuff. He gave it to a friend of mine, unknowing she had recently stopped drinking altogether. She accepted, in politeness, then gave the bottle to me. I've had it for about a month.
(She figured I might really need it...see "life is not good") So, my possession is third-hand. I haven't cracked the seal yet and I also can't find any reviews for it on line that aren't written in Russian, or at least in Danish.
A red pepper pod swims at the bottom of the bottle. I can't imagine what it might mix with. I'm open for suggestions.
Capt - Here is a link to a Russian -> English translator ... http://translation2.paralink.com/ there are several translation programs on the internet in case you weren't aware of them.

Also, that Russian Vodka sounds awesome, I respect that you don't like tomatoes, but OMG, a Spicy Bloody Mary is delicious. Have you thought about some Screw drivers? Wonder how this would taste in a Tini- mixture??? :-? :-bd :ymdaydream: :-bd :-? or I guess you could drink it straight like the natives do, why ruin the flavor!!! :D
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 8:37 am

I love vodka. I prefer it straight up, skip the martini glass.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 8:38 am

captmojo wrote:
Miles wrote: Spicy vodka gimlet.
1 shot Rose's lime
1 shot or so of spicy vodka
ice
Shake it
strain it
drink it
Hmm. :-?
Sound tasty.
Mojo like lime.
Mojo intrigued by thought of spicy lime.
There are lots of chili-lime candies and flavors south of the border. Do you know if the vodka has any flavor of chili or just the heat?
sMiles
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 4th, 2009, 8:41 am

Miles wrote: There are lots of chili-lime candies and flavors south of the border. Do you know if the vodka has any flavor of chili or just the heat?
I have yet to break the seal. O:-)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 4th, 2009, 11:00 am

captmojo wrote:Just take the cap off the vermouth bottle and wave it around the room. :D

quote from my late brother
That was my Dad's philosophy, also. Actually, it's mere presence in the room was good enough.
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 4th, 2009, 11:01 am

After this discussion, I had a couple of martinis last night. Nice, good, dry ones, with some boutique gin. They were good.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 4th, 2009, 11:10 am

Just the mention of vodka and martinis can turn my stomach. Had really bad, self-induced, experiences with both.
I worship the Blue Devil!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 4th, 2009, 11:11 am

TillyGalore wrote:Just the mention of vodka and martinis can turn my stomach. Had really bad, self-induced, experiences with both.
I feel the same about cheap tequila. Pepe Lopez and I are not friends.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 12:13 pm

I have yet to experience a night with any liquor that has caused me to shy away from said liquor for a prolonged amount of time. That's not to say I haven't had bad experiences, I guess I just recover quickly.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 4th, 2009, 2:47 pm

captmojo wrote:
Miles wrote: There are lots of chili-lime candies and flavors south of the border. Do you know if the vodka has any flavor of chili or just the heat?
I have yet to break the seal. O:-)
NEVER BREAK THE SEAL!! :-o

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 4th, 2009, 2:58 pm

I would think spicy vodka would be good in some kind of a dark chocolate "martini" - channeling that spicy dark chocolate Latin American thing.

Also, I could see it in a variation on the Irish car bomb. Drop a shot of pepper vodka in a pint of porter or stout. I've had some chipotle porters before and enjoyed, so something like that might be ok.
-- DukeUsul
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 3:33 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I would think spicy vodka would be good in some kind of a dark chocolate "martini" - channeling that spicy dark chocolate Latin American thing.

Also, I could see it in a variation on the Irish car bomb. Drop a shot of pepper vodka in a pint of porter or stout. I've had some chipotle porters before and enjoyed, so something like that might be ok.
Those are both great suggestions. It almost makes me want a chocotini. Almost.
sMiles
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 4th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Miles wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:I would think spicy vodka would be good in some kind of a dark chocolate "martini" - channeling that spicy dark chocolate Latin American thing.

Miles I'll fix you a chocotini!
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 4:04 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Miles wrote:

In that case, I would never turn down a free cocktail. Can we have a Guinness and a Gimlet (vodka) to chase? Mmmmm I love that combination.
sMiles
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 4th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Miles wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Miles wrote:"quote="DukeUsul"I would think spicy vodka would be good in some kind of a dark chocolate "martini" - channeling that spicy dark chocolate Latin American thing.

Also, I could see it in a variation on the Irish car bomb. Drop a shot of pepper vodka in a pint of porter or stout. I've had some chipotle porters before and enjoyed, so something like that might be ok."quote"
In that case, I would never turn down a free cocktail. Can we have a Guinness and a Gimlet (vodka) to chase? Mmmmm I love that combination.
Sounds like a plan to me! Maybe the Captain will contribute the good stuff (Russian vodka)! My girl and I tagged teamed on the chocolate tini's and Sue's shaved chocolate coming up!!!!! Get ready buddy!!!!! I have carried 300lbs+ of dead weight out of sight from embarrassment, consider me big brother!!!! :p :D
weezie
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by weezie » August 4th, 2009, 4:28 pm

bjornolf wrote: NEVER BREAK THE SEAL!! :-o

%%-
That's the motto of the TWBC! [Teeny Weeny Bladder Club] :P
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 4th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Miles wrote:
When I was at Duke, the James Joyce on Main St. was our main hangout. Our favorite activity there was called "The Cycle." This was a series of four drinks: an Irish Car Bomb, a Jameson's, a gin gimlet, and shockingly, I can't remember the fourth. It was quite an endeavor slash an indication of alcoholism.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 4th, 2009, 5:08 pm

wilson wrote:
Miles wrote:
When I was at Duke, the James Joyce on Main St. was our main hangout. Our favorite activity there was called "The Cycle." This was a series of four drinks: an Irish Car Bomb, a Jameson's, a gin gimlet, and shockingly, I can't remember the fourth. It was quite an endeavor slash an indication of alcoholism.
OK, it turns out I was even more of an alcoholic than I thought. The Cycle was a Car Bomb, a Long Island Iced Tea, a gin Gimlet, and a Rob Roy.
Good God.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 4th, 2009, 5:16 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:
Miles wrote:
OK, it turns out I was even more of an alcoholic than I thought. The Cycle was a Car Bomb, a Long Island Iced Tea, a gin Gimlet, and a Rob Roy.
Good God.
I'm intoxicated just reading the list. Who should I drunk dial?
I worship the Blue Devil!