Let's settle the name of the other board once and for all...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

What will we call the other board?

Poll ended at June 6th, 2009, 6:20 pm

TOWEL
50%
TOBY
13%
TBTSNBN
38%

Total votes: 16
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Let's settle the name of the other board once and for all...

Post by bjornolf » May 8th, 2009, 7:37 pm

I know I started the TOBY thing, but I want to change my vote. Can we call it kumquat from now on? =))

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 8th, 2009, 9:20 pm

bjornolf wrote:I know I started the TOBY thing, but I want to change my vote. Can we call it kumquat from now on? =))

%%-

It does have a ring to it doesn't it =)) =)) =))
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 8th, 2009, 9:21 pm

knights68 wrote:I vote TOWEL!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 8th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Why don't we just call it the DBR? Most of us still post there, quite often in exact parallel with what we post here (Chris!). The animosity that existed that pushed the creation of this board has mostly ebbed. Let's not denigrate what is obviously our online mothership.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 8th, 2009, 9:35 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Why don't we just call it the DBR? Most of us still post there, quite often in exact parallel with what we post here (Chris!). The animosity that existed that pushed the creation of this board has mostly ebbed. Let's not denigrate what is obviously our online mothership.
I actually don't post there much at all anymore. I was entirely absent for several months, and have only begun to lurk again (with maybe 3 posts a week) in the past ten days or so. My "animosity" for TOWEL is mostly contrived (mostly...), but I'm kind of getting a kick out of it. It's sort of like how I refuse to capitalize unc, or red sux, or other such unmentionables.

We will have really arrived when they start talking about "those upstart separatists" or something like that. Or would it be TUSY?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 8th, 2009, 9:38 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:The animosity that existed that pushed the creation of this board has mostly ebbed.
Umm, no, it has not.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 8th, 2009, 9:43 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Why don't we just call it the DBR? Most of us still post there, quite often in exact parallel with what we post here (Chris!). The animosity that existed that pushed the creation of this board has mostly ebbed. Let's not denigrate what is obviously our online mothership.
Me or clbunchanumbers? Either way, I've pretty much restricted myself to TOWEL for actual bball conversations, everything else I'm happy with here. In fact a mod on the EK pretty much got me heated today, but I held back. When I'm there I feel like anything is cause for a moderator's argument, it's walking on eggshells; when I'm here, I know it's not. At least not one that I can't question without fear of retribution.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 8th, 2009, 9:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Me or clbunchanumbers? Either way, I've pretty much restricted myself to TOWEL for actual bball conversations, everything else I'm happy with here. In fact a mod on the EK pretty much got me heated today, but I held back. When I'm there I feel like anything is cause for a moderator's argument, when I'm here, I know it's not. At least not one that I can't question without fear of retribution.
We should start a guerrilla posting campaign on TOWEL and all change our sigs to "WOLVERINES!".

**== **== **==
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 8th, 2009, 10:17 pm

wilson wrote:We should start a guerrilla posting campaign on TOWEL and all change our sigs to "WOLVERINES!".
KUMQUATS!!

CBaB: Thanks for summing up my feelings exactly. Unfortunately, it's not just the walking on eggshells, it's that the EK Forum itself is too difficult to follow. G reportedly signs with an agent ... before I could see anything, there's 5 pages up on a thread. Can't follow it. So I go to the end, and it's posters talking about insulting each other. Trouble is, it's been like that for a long while.

I'll admit that I've lurked on the OTB recently, as someone is doing a fundraiser for the USO. Otherwise, it's been...

i-) i-) i-) i-) i-) i-) i-) i-)

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 8th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Lavabe wrote:Unfortunately, it's not just the walking on eggshells, it's that the EK Forum itself is too difficult to follow. G reportedly signs with an agent ... before I could see anything, there's 5 pages up on a thread. Can't follow it. So I go to the end, and it's posters talking about insulting each other. Trouble is, it's been like that for a long while.

Cheers,
Lavabe
I hear that. Moreover, there seem to be a bunch of EK newbies (<100 or so posts) who have lots to say (albeit of little substance) and just don't really know what the fuck's going on. Fuck that.

Also, I just posted "fuck" twice. Well, make that three times.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 9th, 2009, 1:07 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:When I'm there I feel like anything is cause for a moderator's argument, it's walking on eggshells; when I'm here, I know it's not. At least not one that I can't question without fear of retribution.

You can question the mods and the things they do here, but we probably wouldn't bother answering ;)
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 9th, 2009, 8:08 am

You know, I just thought of an even BETTER name for DBR. It uses all letters that are in it, and it's kinda funny. Are you ready for this?

DBR = DEBRA

What do ya think?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 9th, 2009, 8:31 am

bjornolf wrote:You know, I just thought of an even BETTER name for DBR. It uses all letters that are in it, and it's kinda funny. Are you ready for this?

DBR = DEBRA

What do ya think?

%%-
I know too many Debras and Deborahs. I'd probably get confused with DukeDevilDeb. :-??
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » May 9th, 2009, 9:13 am

I still throw a towel or two at the kumquats. There are a few posters that I keep tabs on who haven't migrated over here, at least not yet.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 10th, 2009, 12:53 pm

I love you all, but I think TOWEL sucks. I did not enthusiastically leave DBR so TOWEL does not represent me in the least bit. I was bummed about it and I'm really disappointed about how things were and still are over there. I would be offended, maybe ashamed, if this group adopted an official name for the site other than DBR. Call it whatever you want but the website is DBR. It's a place where we all met and used to have a ton of fun. It sucks that the pendulum has shifted so far in one direction, but it might shift back in the other direction too.

At some point, shouldn't we assume a position on higher ground and get over it?
sMiles
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 10th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Miles wrote:I love you all, but I think TOWEL sucks. I did not enthusiastically leave DBR so TOWEL does not represent me in the least bit. I was bummed about it and I'm really disappointed about how things were and still are over there. I would be offended, maybe ashamed, if this group adopted an official name for the site other than DBR. Call it whatever you want but the website is DBR. It's a place where we all met and used to have a ton of fun. It sucks that the pendulum has shifted so far in one direction, but it might shift back in the other direction too.

At some point, shouldn't we assume a position on higher ground and get over it?

I have to say that I tend to agree with Miles... I didn't enthusiastically leave DBR either, and actually, I do still post there (as several on here still do). Things there have changed, but I came here because you, my friends, did. But that doesn't mean I left DBR either.

I know there are some that did leave and their reasons I don't dispute in the least. I'm just saying that for me, I guess it still is DBR. Plus, if we want our friends who still post there and haven't come here yet to ever join us, badmouthing DBR (ok that's probably the wrong word choice but you get what I mean) probably isn't going to help to encourage them & make them feel welcome.

Yes this is a board where we can be more open, but in doing so, I think we need to keep in mind that we may be closing it off to others, too.

Just my $.02
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 10th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Why do you think I picked TOBY? It pokes a LITTLE fun just in that Toby is kind of a geeky name, but it isn't insulting as far as I can tell, plus it's short for October, which is when we all start getting giddy about basketball season.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » May 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm

bjornolf wrote:Why do you think I picked TOBY? It pokes a LITTLE fun just in that Toby is kind of a geeky name, but it isn't insulting as far as I can tell, plus it's short for October, which is when we all start getting giddy about basketball season.

%%-
bjornolf, I do recognize that you provided a silly, lighter weight option, and it certainly isn't insulting. I just find the whole topic to be a bit tiring now. I'll respectfully leave it at that.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 10th, 2009, 10:38 pm

I'd say call it DBR, but that wasn't an option.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » May 10th, 2009, 10:40 pm

I didn't look at the pictures, I read it for the articles. :lol: