Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Congrats to Dr. MHTorringjan!

Post by devildeac » April 9th, 2010, 11:43 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: What flavor of chemistry? Who's your advisor? It's been a while - will be interesting to see if I even know the person.
Flavor! I love it!

Chocolate chemistry.

Blueberry chemistry.

Margarita chemistry.

Strawberry chemistry.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Speaking of chocolate chemistry, there was a study performed several years ago in which the components of chocolate were separated out and analyzed. One was found to be similar in structure to THC, if I recall correctly. Explains a lot, wouldn't you say? :ymdevil:
Hops are also related to the cannabis plant. That's why rmd and the other Beer Hunters often talk about the grassy, floral or cannabis aromas/flavors in our brews.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
MHTorringjan
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by MHTorringjan » April 10th, 2010, 10:05 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
MHTorringjan wrote:lol! Thanks, everybody! I'm glad that it's done with (aside from revising the document) but at least I don't have to talk for 2.5 hours straight about chemistry anymore unless I really want to. ;)
What flavor of chemistry? Who's your advisor? It's been a while - will be interesting to see if I even know the person.
It's very likely that you know him, he's been there pretty much forever. ;) I'm doing bioinorganic chemistry in the lab of Al Crumbliss, working on siderophore-mediated iron uptake. My next gig, though, is with a professor over at NC State in a very similar field who's kind of on his way up in the field.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 10th, 2010, 10:16 am

MHTorringjan wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
MHTorringjan wrote:lol! Thanks, everybody! I'm glad that it's done with (aside from revising the document) but at least I don't have to talk for 2.5 hours straight about chemistry anymore unless I really want to. ;)
What flavor of chemistry? Who's your advisor? It's been a while - will be interesting to see if I even know the person.
I almost guarantee you know him, he's been there pretty much forever. ;) I'm doing bioinorganic chemistry in the lab of Al Crumbliss, working on siderophore-mediated iron uptake. My next gig, though, is with a professor over at NC State in a very similar field who's kind of on his way up in the field.
Bioinorganic chemistry is way cool. Far more applications there than most people would think. Really, really interesting stuff. :-BD In fact, IMO there's lots of really interesting work going on at the biology-chemistry interface. It's a very hot area right now. This may be personal bias since that's what I do, but I'm at the interface between biology and analytical chemistry. There's definitely a good market out there for people who are well-versed in both fields.

I know Dr. Crumbliss - he's cool! Back in my day the Ph.D. program was "accelerated" and we took 9 classes the first semester (3 sets of 3 classes, 4 weeks each). I took an inorganic chemistry class with Dr. Crumbliss during the first semester and really liked it. My Ph.D. is in organic chemistry, but I did a postdoc with Gary Molander. I also worked with an organometallic chemist at Univ of AR as an undergrad.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein