Good luck dinner tonight. What are you having?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Good luck dinner tonight. What are you having?

Post by windsor » April 5th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Way too nervous to eat...I was thinking as I was driving home about my first Final Four Experience...a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...at Duke...1978 (when there were 32 teams in the tourney) and we wearing the glass slipper...beating Notre Dame to make it to finals - the absolute euphoria - watching it on TV in a jam packed commons room in my dorm (which was, of course, Windsor) with the BOGgers - screaming and running out on the quad sliding in the mud - benches burning -hugging people I didn't know - Queen's We Are The Champions on every stereo...and the nameless guy who screamed at the top of his lungs "Can anyone believe we are this GOOD!". We lost to Kentucky in the Final of course...I remember the bonfire for the teams return...and Gene Banks at the microphone - three little words "We'll Be Back". Didn't know it would be quite so long from that day until we cut down the nets...Foster left, some guy with a funny polish name came to coach (who they hell was he anyway?) Anyway, anytime we've made it to the Final Four I've remember that instant when we made the final game...I couldn't have begun to guess at 18 how much of an imprint that night would make. It was magic when we finally won then to win again...and again...but the being there, on that campus at that time...that was my personal 'one shining moment'. I hope today's Dukies...in Cameron watching on the big screens get that moment too.

Let's GO DUKE!!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 5th, 2010, 6:38 pm

VDB and CathyCA, where did you get your Duke christmas trees?[/quote]

Two years ago, I bought a white tree at Walmart. They also had blue lights. I have been collecting Duke ornaments for years. I still didn't have enough so I went to a party store and bought basketballs, footballs, baseballs and soccer balls, about 2". I bought Blue Devil stickers to put on the balls. I also have a big blue ribbon with a small (soft), about 6", Duke basketball for the topper. I use Duke fabric as the skirt. I leave the tree up until our basketball season is over. I love my Duke tree. :)[/quote]

I have a Duke Santa that my Mom gave me years ago. It stays out until b'ball season is over.[/quote]

I also have a Duke Santa, he is spinning a basketball. He also stays out until the season is over. :)

We have a piece of Cameron Indoor. It was taken up after the era of Gman, Sparnkel and Denard. The cost? A whole dollar. What a bargain. :)
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 5th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Let's Go Duke!!!
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 5th, 2010, 6:55 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I'll be eating a double chocolate klondike bar at half-time.

VDB and CathyCA, where did you get your Duke christmas trees?
I got the tree at Michael's. It's a 4 foot pre-lit Christmas tree. A few years ago, I muttered to myself when undecorating my Christmas tree that I had so many Duke ornaments, I might as well have a Duke Christmas tree. And that's where the idea was born. I went out and bought the tree on sale, bought a few strings of blue lights on sale, threw on a string of basketball lights that I bought at Party City for my Final Four party, and added all of my Duke ornaments--mostly purchased at the Duke store. I also put on a Duke snowman made from baby socks, a ceramic D that I made when I taught school in California, and I put on a few snowflake ornaments and some blue glass ball ornaments and my lucky pickle glass ornament.

I'm always looking for more ornaments for the Duke Basketball tree, especially following tournament wins. :-ss

I like the idea of using a white tree. That would be beautiful. Maybe I'll get one of those the next time they go on sale.

Tilly, you probably have enough ornaments to have your own Duke Basketball tree.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 5th, 2010, 7:22 pm

I heated some Lasagna I made and getting the victory beers nice and cold! I think I might have another seasonal special, Dogfish Head Aprihop beer again! I started to post the review of that special beer last night, but fell asleep!
Miles

Post by Miles » April 5th, 2010, 7:57 pm

French Bean and Orzo Pasta Salad with wilted spinach and Blue cheese.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » April 5th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Let's Go Duke!!!
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 5th, 2010, 9:01 pm

CathyCA wrote:Tilly, you probably have enough ornaments to have your own Duke Basketball tree.
Believe it or not, I don't. I inherited some of my grandmothers ornaments, and I've stuck with them for several years now.

Next Christmas, I'm going to try to buy a small white tree and get blue lights. I'll be starting my Duke tree later this year. :) :) :)
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2010, 4:49 pm

I had a corned beef sammich from Shapiro's deli about 3-4 blocks from Lucas Oil Field. :D :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 7th, 2010, 5:07 pm

devildeac wrote:I had a corned beef sammich from Shapiro's deli about 3-4 blocks from Lucas Oil Field. :D :D
That was a lucky sammich!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.