NBA Playoffs

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: NBA Playoffs

Post by cl15876 » May 22nd, 2009, 10:32 am

rockymtn devil wrote:If you have any interest in professional basketball, be sure to check out the show being put on by Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony. The two have just traded clutch shots in each of the first two games and, in crunch time, have been guarding each other. After blowing a 13-point lead in game one, the Nuggets battled back from 14 down last night to win in L.A. I smell a 7 game series.

Go Nuggets!!!
I thought of you when they said... and NUGGETS WIN! Awesome come back!

Here is a pic for ya!
anthonycarmelo.png
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 22nd, 2009, 2:50 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:If you have any interest in professional basketball, be sure to check out the show being put on by Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony. The two have just traded clutch shots in each of the first two games and, in crunch time, have been guarding each other. After blowing a 13-point lead in game one, the Nuggets battled back from 14 down last night to win in L.A. I smell a 7 game series.

Go Nuggets!!!
The Cavs-Magic series has some serious potential for similar theatrics, between LeBron and Dwight Howard (native Atlantan). I'm totally with you as far as rooting for Denver against L.A., but Oh. My. Gawd. do I wanna see Kobe and Lebron go at it in the Finals.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » May 22nd, 2009, 11:25 pm

Um, is anyone watching the Cavs-Magic game right now?
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 22nd, 2009, 11:26 pm

Sue71 wrote:Um, is anyone watching the Cavs-Magic game right now?
I am...poor Cavs. They're once again trying to blow a huge lead at home. If they lose this one, they're pretty much cooked, and David Stern will weep.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 22nd, 2009, 11:27 pm

wilson wrote:
Sue71 wrote:Um, is anyone watching the Cavs-Magic game right now?
I am...poor Cavs. They're once again trying to blow a huge lead at home. If they lose this one, they're pretty much cooked, and David Stern will weep.
Oy vey. I watched the blowout of a beginning and turned it off. Put it back on at the end of the 3rd. WTF?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 22nd, 2009, 11:30 pm

Sue71 wrote: Oy vey. I watched the blowout of a beginning and turned it off. Put it back on at the end of the 3rd. WTF?
Everybody in a Cavs uni who isn't named LeBron is coming up remarkably small in this series.
And now Turkoglu has put Orlando up 2 with 1 second left.
Dayum.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 22nd, 2009, 11:31 pm

wilson wrote:
Sue71 wrote: Oy vey. I watched the blowout of a beginning and turned it off. Put it back on at the end of the 3rd. WTF?
Everybody in a Cavs uni who isn't named LeBron is coming up remarkably small in this series.
Dayum.
That was insane. I expected him to dish it while he was in the air.

Shot of the kid with his hands on his head in horror said it all. :-o
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 22nd, 2009, 11:32 pm

Sue71 wrote:
wilson wrote:
Dayum.
That was insane. I expected him to dish it while he was in the air.

Shot of the kid with his hands on his head in horror said it all. :-o
Holy holy holy holy holy shit!

LE-BRON! LE-BRON! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

(edit: forgot to insert clap-clap, clap-clap ;) )
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 22nd, 2009, 11:32 pm

Holy shit.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 22nd, 2009, 11:34 pm

wilson wrote:Holy shit.

I... I... I... I... uh... um... totally speechless.

MVP.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 22nd, 2009, 11:47 pm

The Cavs still need to step up their game heading to Orlando, though. As LeBron said right after the game, they're not playing especially good defense, and this little tic of letting the Magic back in these home games with big leads is troubling.
On the other hand, I could very much see this re-energizing the team. If they do end up winning the title, what's the over/under on the number of times we see that shot replayed during the next 25 years?
Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Ben63 » May 23rd, 2009, 12:37 am

LBJ ---> LBFJ
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 23rd, 2009, 12:41 am

So I was sitting in a bar with some friends watching the end of the game. The bar was full of too-cool-for-school-douchey-hipsters who generally wouldn't be caught dead acting interested in NBA basketball. When Orlando took the lead, the place went crazy. When Lebron hit that shot, the place went ape-shit. This was Michael Jordan shooting over Craig Ehlo, except this time the Cavaliers actually won the game. You don't make that shot.

Cavs in 6.

(Nuggets in 7 :D )
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 23rd, 2009, 11:00 am

So I've seen LeBron's game winner from last night honestly about three dozen times by now, and it keeps on eliciting an awed chuckle and goosebumps from me. I still think the Cavs have their hands seriously full with the Magic, but just damn.
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » May 23rd, 2009, 11:36 am

I was watching the game with two friends and we went nuts when he drilled the shot. We then placed the over/under at 200 times we would see the replay in the next 24 hours. Its been about 12 and I've seen it 60-70 times already. Idk if I'll reach the over, but this is one of those shots we'll be seeing for the rest of our lives, and a shot that will define LeBron James.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 23rd, 2009, 11:43 am

Ben63 wrote:I was watching the game with two friends and we went nuts when he drilled the shot. We then placed the over/under at 200 times we would see the replay in the next 24 hours. Its been about 12 and I've seen it 60-70 times already. Idk if I'll reach the over, but this is one of those shots we'll be seeing for the rest of our lives, and a shot that will define LeBron James.
To an extent, yes. But in order for it to become truly iconic, the Cavs need to win at least the series, if not the title, and neither of those is at all a done deal at this point.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 24th, 2009, 10:49 pm

So LeBron James is obviously the best player on the court in the Cavs-Magic series. But players 2-4, and possibly 2-5, play for the Magic. That means that tonight, with LeBron not at his superhuman best, Cleveland is brutal to watch. They look frustrated, out of sync, and they can't shoot worth a lick. This actually includes LeBron...he's got 27 on ugly, inefficient 8-20 shooting at the end of the 3rd quarter. After LeBron, there's Mo Williams with 13, and no other Cavalier is in double figures. No way they're winning the title this way, and they're gonna be hard pressed to even win the East.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 24th, 2009, 11:48 pm

Cleveland got straight up schooled tonight. I'm not a betting man, but it appears to me that smart money is most assuredly not on the Cavs at this point. Now I'm really rooting for Denver, because I don't care to see the Lakers win another title. Denver-Orlando would be as good if not a better series as LA-Cleveland, in my opinion: Minus a measure of star power, but with a couple of added doses of just really damn good, entertaining team basketball.
That said, the Nuggets blew it last night. About that smart money...I fear it's on L.A. But ask me again this time Tuesday night.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 25th, 2009, 9:12 pm

wilson wrote:So LeBron James is obviously the best player on the court in the Cavs-Magic series. But players 2-4, and possibly 2-5, play for the Magic. That means that tonight, with LeBron not at his superhuman best, Cleveland is brutal to watch. They look frustrated, out of sync, and they can't shoot worth a lick. This actually includes LeBron...he's got 27 on ugly, inefficient 8-20 shooting at the end of the 3rd quarter. After LeBron, there's Mo Williams with 13, and no other Cavalier is in double figures. No way they're winning the title this way, and they're gonna be hard pressed to even win the East.
Couldn't agree more. The silver lining for the Cavs is that they've played poorly and Orlando has played well and it's still a pretty even series (requiring two big comebacks to make it 2-1).

As an aside, can we talk about how Kobe is apparently not allowed to miss a jump shot? I've never seen so many retro-called fouls. He shoots. He misses. Then a foul is called, often with no contact (Dahntay Jones was called for a BS foul in Game 1). Oh well. He's good...and he bitches better than anyone in the league, so I guess he deserves it :?

Nuggets by 9 tonight.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 25th, 2009, 9:20 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
...can we talk about how Kobe is apparently not allowed to miss a jump shot? I've never seen so many retro-called fouls. He shoots. He misses. Then a foul is called, often with no contact (Dahntay Jones was called for a BS foul in Game 1). Oh well. He's good...and he bitches better than anyone in the league, so I guess he deserves it :?
Not to worry; LeBron plays under these rules too. Dwight Howard's sixth foul last night was a fucking joke.
No idea as to which way Lakers-Nuggets will go tonight, other than down to the wire.
I really hope the Nuggets win tonight and the Cavs win tomorrow, though, because boy have this year's playoffs been entertaining.