Final Four

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Final Four

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 5:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
ILoveJimmy wrote:Despite the word villains in the title, here is a good SI article on Duke, yesterday's game, and the Final Four.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ylor.duke/
It is a nice article, but the author still gets his jabs in at the Devils (the whole "why didn't Scheyer get a T" section, for instance). Why does everyone feel the need to paint our team as villains?
whatta dungheap
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 5:14 pm

gadzooks wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Message for the SI author - I believe Acy got the T for coming over to bump Nolan. I don't think he was either of the players trapping Jon.
Acy was definitely not involved in the trap; we rewatched the whole thing, and he came from somewhere off-camera to get in Jon's face, and I'm quite sure that was the reason he got the T. I just emailed the author on that point.
He also tried to go THROUGH Nolan to get to Jon, therefore the T. The folks in section 21 and prolly most of the Duke nation were fully expecting Daniel Ewing to get a T also.
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » March 29th, 2010, 7:03 pm

devildeac wrote:
gadzooks wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Message for the SI author - I believe Acy got the T for coming over to bump Nolan. I don't think he was either of the players trapping Jon.
Acy was definitely not involved in the trap; we rewatched the whole thing, and he came from somewhere off-camera to get in Jon's face, and I'm quite sure that was the reason he got the T. I just emailed the author on that point.
He also tried to go THROUGH Nolan to get to Jon, therefore the T. The folks in section 21 and prolly most of the Duke nation were fully expecting Daniel Ewing to get a T also.

:)) :)) =)) =)) from Lavabe and ILJ!!
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 29th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Amazingly enough, an article about Duke in the Final Four not harping on their path to get there

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/03/29/986994

"Final Four-bound Devils should be cheered, not reviled"
Be honest. If you put these kids in the uniforms of say Missouri or Iowa or Marquette, would there really be anything to hate? If we took Mike Krzyzewski's coaching wizardry and drive and gave it to some guy named Bill Owens and put him at the head of the bench, would you still feel your blood-pressure rising every time the Blue Devils went on a run?

The hate may be irrepressible. But with this Duke team, it's also irrational.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:Amazingly enough, an article about Duke in the Final Four not harping on their path to get there

Be honest. If you put these kids in the uniforms of say Missouri or Iowa or Marquette, would there really be anything to hate? If we took Mike Krzyzewski's coaching wizardry and drive and gave it to some guy named Bill Owens and put him at the head of the bench, would you still feel your blood-pressure rising every time the Blue Devils went on a run?

This is a great article. Finally a sports writer that really 'gets' this team.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 29th, 2010, 10:45 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Jesus_hurley wrote:Amazingly enough, an article about Duke in the Final Four not harping on their path to get there

This is a great article. Finally a sports writer that really 'gets' this team.
It really is a good article - opposite of most everything else out there (Lavin sucks). The authors hard to get a handle on though. For every pro-Duke article I've seen, he writes 2-3 about the holes. Plus his home page has #50 on it :twitch:
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 29th, 2010, 10:53 pm

duketaylor
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by duketaylor » March 30th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Obama's gonna end up going 0-12;)

Bring on the 'Neers
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 30th, 2010, 12:59 pm

In '91 and '92, Hurley, Laettner, and Hill won titles.
In '01, Battier and Williams won one.
If we're lucky enough to take this years title, Coach K will have won it. This team right now is performing higher above its seeming on-paper ceiling than any other I can remember.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 30th, 2010, 1:36 pm

wilson wrote:In '91 and '92, Hurley, Laettner, and Hill won titles.
In '01, Battier and Williams won one.
If we're lucky enough to take this years title, Coach K will have won it. This team right now is performing higher above its seeming on-paper ceiling than any other I can remember.
Not true. We have had the "easiest path to the FF in the last 25 years" if you believe a certain slick-haired, silver-tongued, pecker-headed ANALyst from the 4 letter sports network. ;)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 30th, 2010, 1:42 pm

devildeac wrote:a certain slick-haired, silver-tongued, pecker-headed ANALyst from the 4 letter sports network. ;)
And the highlighter matches the drapes, as it were.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 30th, 2010, 10:44 pm

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:a certain slick-haired, silver-tongued, pecker-headed ANALyst from the 4 letter sports network. ;)
Highlights? He has highlights?

I thought it was the drapes match the carpet.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 30th, 2010, 10:48 pm

CathyCA wrote:
wilson wrote:
Highlights? He has highlights?

I thought it was the drapes match the carpet.
No, no. This was an adaptation of sorts. Digger Phelps notoriously matches his highlighter (with which he is fond of gesticulating) to his tie (no, I'm totally serious), which does nothing so much as it makes him look like a putz.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 31st, 2010, 7:04 am

I put up a few links on the front page to various stories. Vegas likes us.
www.crazietalk.net
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 31st, 2010, 11:21 pm

wilson wrote:No, no. This was an adaptation of sorts. Digger Phelps notoriously matches his highlighter (with which he is fond of gesticulating) to his tie (no, I'm totally serious), which does nothing so much as it makes him look like a putz.
Oh. I didn't know that.

When I see the word "highlights," or any version of it, I think of hair.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 1st, 2010, 12:04 pm

At the start of the tournament no one has an easy road to the final weekend. Not the top seeds. Not the second-seeded teams. Not the sixth-seeded schools. Before the first ball tips, every single school faces an extremely difficult road. Even Duke. Even this year. No exceptions.
If this road was paved in toilet paper it wasn't Charmin, it was the cheap thin single-ply stuff we had in high school.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/7342555/

A voice of reason!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 1st, 2010, 5:33 pm

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 1st, 2010, 6:59 pm

WVU's Point Guard Unlikely to Play.....http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_ba ... y/7345904/

After watching Roy's bullshit with Ty Lawson last year and whoever else he said wouldn't play this year, I'll believe this one in the 40th minute Saturday. I wonder if "Truck" was wearing some of those specialty unc shoes?
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » April 1st, 2010, 7:01 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:WVU's Unlikely to Play.....http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_ba ... y/7345904/

After watching Roy's bullshit with Ty Lawson last year and whoever else he said wouldn't play this year, I'll believe this one in the 40th minute Saturday. I wonder if "Truck" was wearing some of those specialty unc shoes?
It may make no difference whatsoever whether he plays or not. West Virginia's going to be tough to play.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 1st, 2010, 7:05 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:WVU's Unlikely to Play.....http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_ba ... y/7345904/

It may make no difference whatsoever whether he plays or not. West Virginia's going to be tough to play.
Nope...they won two without him. I totally missed this part of the article...how bizarre.
Bryant broke his foot in practice on March 23 and missed the Mountaineers' next NCAA two tournament games. He flew to Durham, N.C., on Sunday and received a special insert for his shoe from a Duke sports medicine doctor but hasn't been able to practice.