I'd like some pickles.

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: I'd like some pickles.

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:The matter of pickle vs no pickles is a defining question in our family. Whether one likes pickles or not is an important issue. As children are born and others join the family by marriage, the pickle lovers want to know if the newest family member has the pickle gene.
The same question applies to certain food items...do you want pickles on/in that, or none?
For instance, some folks think that the two pickle slices on a Chik-fil-A sandwich are gross. I think they are crucial.
I like lots of pickle chips on a burger or deli sandwich.
But please do not ruin my egg salad by putting pickles in it.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 26th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:The matter of pickle vs no pickles is a defining question in our family. Whether one likes pickles or not is an important issue. As children are born and others join the family by marriage, the pickle lovers want to know if the newest family member has the pickle gene.

Pickle lovers would like me - they can have all my pickles!
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2010, 12:29 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Pickle lovers would like me - they can have all my pickles!
Thanks! Whenever I eat a dish that comes with a pickle spear or slices on the side, I always eat the pickle(s) first, and then ask any tablemates whether they want theirs.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

wilson wrote:
The same question applies to certain food items...do you want pickles on/in that, or none?
For instance, some folks think that the two pickle slices on a Chik-fil-A sandwich are gross. I think they are crucial.
I'm ambivilant. Or perhaps I should say amphibious! I like kosher dill pickles, and usually eat them when served, but not always - I have to be in the mood for it. I like Chik-fil-A original sandwiches with and without the pickles (I order them with but don't usually add them if they are served without.) I don't order burgers or sandwiches without, but I don't usually specify them if they are optional. I do like my twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucelettucecheesepicklesonionsonasesameseedbun with the pickles. Of course, I add a ton of ketchup to it too :D

Yup, I'm amphibious!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 1:09 pm

I am with wilson on all pickle accounts. Pickles are a must on my chicken sandwiches. I love it when other people don't want their pickle!

I'm not pick(l)y, but I do have preferences for what type of pickle I want for certain sandwiches. Pickle chips of the Mt. Olive variety are best served on warm sandwiches (hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, etc.). Kosher spears are best when served along side a cold sandwich. Kosher slices goes best inside a cold sandwich. Whole kosher pickles make the best snack.

Vlassic pickles are best when someone else eats them.
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 26th, 2010, 1:13 pm

wilson wrote:
Thanks! Whenever I eat a dish that comes with a pickle spear or slices on the side, I always eat the pickle(s) first, and then ask any tablemates whether they want theirs.
I eat my pickle last. It's sort of like my dessert. Unless I'm having dessert, then the pickle is the precursor to my dessert.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 26th, 2010, 1:19 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I wonder who has the best deli pickles in Atlanta.
Goldberg's. Several varieties.
No way.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 26th, 2010, 1:21 pm

wilson wrote:
If there is a pickle on my plate, I offer it around the table to get it off the plate as soon as possible. I hate pickle juice on my fries or chips - which is where they always seem to be placed.
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 26th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Miles wrote:I am with wilson on all pickle accounts. Pickles are a must on my chicken sandwiches. I love it when other people don't want their pickle!

I'm not pick(l)y, but I do have preferences for what type of pickle I want for certain sandwiches. Pickle chips of the Mt. Olive variety are best served on warm sandwiches (hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, etc.). Kosher spears are best when served along side a cold sandwich. Kosher slices goes best inside a cold sandwich. Whole kosher pickles make the best snack.

No mention of sour pickles? :-w
Oy!

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
:angry-screaming:

I'm calling foul on this. Pastrami on rye is a WARM sandwich; one would NEVER put Mt. Olive pickle chips (dill or bread n butter) on this classic sandwich.
15 yard penalty.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » January 26th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Lavabe wrote:I have some killer pickled lemon peppers. :ymblushing: :D ;) :flame:
The first time I read this, i thought it said: "I have some killer pickled lemur peppers." :-o :))
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
Miles

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:I am with wilson on all pickle accounts. Pickles are a must on my chicken sandwiches. I love it when other people don't want their pickle!

Oy!

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

I'm calling foul on this. Pastrami on rye is a WARM sandwich; one would NEVER put Mt. Olive pickle chips (dill or bread n butter) on this classic sandwich.
15 yard penalty.
After further review, there was no foul on the play. Lavabe is assessed a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.
No where in my post did I indicate that pickles MUST be served on warm sandwiches. I only state that they are best served on warm sandwiches. I would never put pickles on Pastrami.
sMiles
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 26th, 2010, 1:36 pm

devildeac wrote:Bubbies.
End of discussion.

Unless we start talking about old-fashioned outta the large jar of brine on the deli counter type pickles.
Ha! :ymapplause: I actually stopped at an old deli on the way home last night for a "to go" order and almost bought one of those pickles! I almost bought some marinated garlic cloves also. This thread immediately came to mind as I waited for my order! I used to love eating those pickles!!!! :-BD
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 26th, 2010, 1:37 pm

wilson wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Wait a while and voila!
Love, Ima
...or as clbunchofnumbers might say, "walla". ;)
:-BD :ymapplause: :D :ymblushing:
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 26th, 2010, 1:40 pm

wilson wrote:
OMG, I was singing your praises of agreement ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ until that last comment :( !!!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 26th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Miles wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Oy!

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

15 yard penalty.
After further review, there was no foul on the play. Lavabe is assessed a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.
No where in my post did I indicate that pickles MUST be served on warm sandwiches. I only state that they are best served on warm sandwiches. I would never put pickles on Pastrami.
But you WOULD put pickle chips in a ramekin. :)) =)) =)) :))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 26th, 2010, 1:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:On that Food Tech show they did all of the ingredients in a hamburger, including pickles. They filmed at the Mount Olive pickle company in NC, it was pretty fascinating to watch. They have these huge vats outside that are full of pickling cucumbers. Looked like it would be a neat place to take a tour of.
I've been catching those shows recently and they are indeed fascinating to watch! If they do tours, I would be interested in that. I am always amazed at the precision of the custom machinery to produce end-products in mass, but I still like doing it the old fashioned way as well, something very special about that. ;)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 26th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Johnboy wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I have some killer pickled lemon peppers. :ymblushing: :D ;) :flame:
The first time I read this, i thought it said: "I have some killer pickled lemur peppers." :-o :))
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :-BD
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » January 26th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Once when I was 8 months pregnant with Tommy, #3 son, I ate what was left of the vanilla ice cream in the freezer. It was around 11pm at night and my husband was out of town. I was still hungry after I finished the ice cream, so I opened the fridge to see what else was available. There it was, a jar of sweet gherkins. I ate those too. Then I realized what I had just done. It's true, pregnant women will indeed eat pickles and ice cream. Although I do think it should be noted, I did not eat them together. It was one after the other. If we're being extremely specific, I ate ice cream and pickles.

I do not like pickles in egg salad. I do like them in tuna salad. I also like eggs in my tuna salad. I do not claim to be entirely logical.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » January 26th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Hey, wait a minute, I could have sworn that was Bostondevil posting something.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2010, 2:23 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:On that Food Tech show they did all of the ingredients in a hamburger, including pickles. They filmed at the Mount Olive pickle company in NC, it was pretty fascinating to watch. They have these huge vats outside that are full of pickling cucumbers. Looked like it would be a neat place to take a tour of.
I've been catching those shows recently and they are indeed fascinating to watch! If they do tours, I would be interested in that. I am always amazed at the precision of the custom machinery to produce end-products in mass, but I still like doing it the old fashioned way as well, something very special about that. ;)
Careful with the Mt. Olive products...while it's generally good to support a North Carolina company, they've been in some hot water over the years with regard to their labor practices. There was a big stink/boycott about this while I was at Duke. I dunno whether or not they've rectified past wrongs.