Cold

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Cold

Post by CathyCA » January 2nd, 2010, 6:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:CRAP! My hot water heater isn't working again, and I'm too scared to go and re-light the pilot light.
As long as you don't smell gas, you should be ok. Turn it off for sure for a few minutes, fan the area, then turn it on and light. You'll be ok, and have a hot shower waiting in the morning.
But it's so freaking cold up in the attic! And I'm scared.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 2nd, 2010, 6:05 pm

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2010, 6:16 pm

CathyCA wrote:CRAP! My hot water heater isn't working again, and I'm too scared to go and re-light the pilot light.
As long as you don't smell gas, you should be ok. Turn it off for sure for a few minutes, fan the area, then turn it on and light. You'll be ok, and have a hot shower waiting in the morning.
Call your gas company - they should have an emergency/on call number. Ask them to send someone out tonight (now!) to relight it for you. I expect they will gladly do it at no charge.

On the other hand, follow CB&B's advice, along with the instructions you have for lighting it (where to put the adjusting knob to light the pilot light, etc.). If you don't have an instruction booklet, look up the manufacturer on the net and look for an instruction manual there, if not for your specific model, at least for something similar.

Or call :skull: and ask him to come back and do it. :D

Or, you could call a plumber - I'd suggest Roto Rooter because they don't charge extra for emergencies, nights, weekends or holidays, and they probably could do it for you.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 6:21 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Call your gas company - they should have an emergency/on call number. Ask them to send someone out tonight (now!) to relight it for you. I expect they will gladly do it at no charge.

On the other hand, follow CB&B's advice, along with the instructions you have for lighting it (where to put the adjusting knob to light the pilot light, etc.). If you don't have an instruction booklet, look up the manufacturer on the net and look for an instruction manual there, if not for your specific model, at least for something similar.

Or call :skull: and ask him to come back and do it. :D

Or, you could call a plumber - I'd suggest Roto Rooter because they don't charge extra for emergencies, nights, weekends or holidays, and they probably could do it for you.
8-x sure looks different now comparing your smilie to mine...

Must be the goatee...
:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2010, 6:23 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
:skull:

Must be the goatee...
Where'd you find it? I just posted in the Whew thread that I can't find it anywhere?

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 6:25 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
:skull:

Must be the goatee...
Where'd you find it? I just posted in the Whew thread that I can't find it anywhere?
See my reply on the WHEW thread.

This is just freakin' hilarious.

And what a way to PW the afternoon and evening away.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 6:40 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote: 8-x sure looks different now comparing your smilie to mine...

Must be the goatee...

:skull: is not what we want to see on this thread after Cathy's post. 8-x needs to come to the rescue!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2010, 6:48 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: 8-x sure looks different now comparing your smilie to mine...

Must be the goatee...

:skull: is not what we want to see on this thread after Cathy's post. 8-x needs to come to the rescue!
:skull: is in the Misc. category between the squirrel cage and the black cat. I'm not finding 8-x anywhere?????

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 6:55 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: :skull: is in the Misc. category between the squirrel cage and the black cat. I'm not finding 8-x anywhere?????
I'll fix it. Not tonight..I've had a few and if I press the wrong button, it will = :skull:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 6:56 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: :skull: is in the Misc. category between the squirrel cage and the black cat. I'm not finding 8-x anywhere?????
I'll fix it. Not tonight..I've had a few and if I press the wrong button, it will = :skull:
By the way...it's fuggin cold again tonight.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 2nd, 2010, 7:00 pm

It's pretty darn cold in St. Louis, too. High today was mid-20s, I think. I've been thankful for my squall parka. If anyone is looking for a good cold weather coat, I heartily endorse it. In fact, if it's not windy outside and you're moving around a lot the coat is almost too warm.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 2nd, 2010, 7:05 pm

I called my mom. I asked her if my brother was still in town. (He isn't.) Mom has called her next door neighbor, and he is going to come over and look at it for me. If he can't fix it, I'm going over to Mom's for my shower.

I have a warranty on the house, and the hot water heater is covered. I'm going to call this thing in on Monday and get a plumber out here. All I need to do is to pay the $60 service call. The warranty company will cover a new hot water heater if it's broken. I'm thinking that it is definitely broken since this is the second time it's gone out in less than a week. And it's old. I don't imagine that the previous owners did any maintenance on it. The house is 20 years old. It's time for a new hot water heater.

I wish my cute little BF were here. Dang! I wish I could find his cute little avatar!

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2010, 7:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:It's pretty darn cold in St. Louis, too. High today was mid-20s, I think. I've been thankful for my squall parka. If anyone is looking for a good cold weather coat, I heartily endorse it. In fact, if it's not windy outside and you're moving around a lot the coat is almost too warm.
Costco has a "3 in 1" coat for sale for $40 in their stores (I can't find it online). It's actually two similar coats, one inside the other, that can be separated by zippers on both sides, so you can where one, the other, or both together when it gets REALLY cold and windy, like this week! I got one for each of us. It is made by Hawke & Co.

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 2nd, 2010, 7:23 pm

Two words, thermal underwear. I got my first set since childhood today. Why didn't I get them when I lived in Boston?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 7:24 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Two words, thermal underwear. I got my first set since childhood today. Why didn't I get them when I lived in Boston?
If it's that cold...my two words are "electric underwear".
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 2nd, 2010, 7:45 pm

By the way...it's fuggin cold again tonight.
Hey, I'm here just type the (8 - x) with no spaces and you get me. My phone has been quiet so I guess things weren't an emergency! I have to agree it is FUGGIN COLD outside!!!!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » January 2nd, 2010, 7:55 pm

This will be a good night for the hot tub and to light the fire bowl :flame: We just knocked off a few kiwi-strawberry jello shots as appetizers before the hot wings and chipoltle(sp?) steaks. Ymmmmmmm
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 2nd, 2010, 7:57 pm

DukePA wrote:This will be a good night for the hot tub and to light the fire bowl :flame: We just knocked off a few kiwi-strawberry jello shots as appetizers before the hot wings and chipoltle(sp?) steaks. Ymmmmmmm
Man, that sounds delicious!!!! Yes the HOT TUB ((not ever done that before :ymblushing: ) and definitely the KIWI-Strawberry jello shots)!!!!! then combined with HOT wings and chipoltle steaks.... Jeez..... sounds like a great way to bring in the New Year again! I'd be doing this I think every night! ;)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 2nd, 2010, 8:12 pm

CathyCA wrote:I called my mom. I asked her if my brother was still in town. (He isn't.) Mom has called her next door neighbor, and he is going to come over and look at it for me. If he can't fix it, I'm going over to Mom's for my shower.

I have a warranty on the house, and the hot water heater is covered. I'm going to call this thing in on Monday and get a plumber out here. All I need to do is to pay the $60 service call. The warranty company will cover a new hot water heater if it's broken. I'm thinking that it is definitely broken since this is the second time it's gone out in less than a week. And it's old. I don't imagine that the previous owners did any maintenance on it. The house is 20 years old. It's time for a new hot water heater.

I wish my cute little BF were here. Dang! I wish I could find his cute little avatar!
Well, since I wasn't consulted since I'm not a Dr., I will still offer my $0.02 cents.... after some research, it appears that the most common reason your pilot light is going out is due to a bad thermocoupler for your reference. Although your water heater may be of age, I doubt there is anything wrong with it, so get ready to put up a good argument with your warranty provider. Good luck!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 2nd, 2010, 8:20 pm

Mr. Ron came over and he lit the pilot light. But it went out while we were up in the attic. So he re-lit it.

It may be the wind. That attic is cold. I need butt warmers on the couch now.

The exhaust hood wasn't hovering correctly over the top of the water heater, either, so I fixed that. It was all out of whack. Probably the roofers knocked it when they were doing the roof. I don't think that would make the water heater go out, though. That hood is to make sure I don't get a carbon monoxide problem in the attic. With this wind, it couldn't possibly be a problem.

I'm just praying that I can get a hot shower later tonight.

~ James Naismith