What would you have done?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: What would you have done?

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 9th, 2009, 4:59 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Upon further review, I think I would have ordered ram chops for dinner... =)) =)) =))
i hope you would have given to her to eat, ram chops sound nasty. =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2009, 5:15 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Upon further review, I think I would have ordered ram chops for dinner... =)) =)) =))
:)) :)) =)) =)) Alas,

1. They were not on the menu.
2. It woulda been a great order if we had won. :(
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
i hope you would have given to her to eat, ram chops sound nasty. =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
I have heard they are tough/chewy and have a leave a bitter taste in your mouth. They are however made better sometimes with large quantities of whine and cheez.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 9th, 2009, 6:11 pm

i don't do whine. :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :lol: :lol:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 9th, 2009, 6:21 pm

TNTDevil wrote:
devildeac wrote:After the Duke-unc game, we spent over an hour traveling from the dump to the Nantucket Grill to meet with a group for dinner, arriving about 75 minutes late. (Don't get me started about why we agreed to this. Some things you just agree to do after 31 years of marriage.) Upon our arrival, we went through the usual greetings of the 8 people who we kept waiting, 5 were neutrals and 3 were unc fans who attended the game. One of the folks, who my wife has known for about 40 years or more made the following comment to me: "I would have hugged you but I didn't want to get any Duke on me or my nice blue kerlina sweater."

Your next action/response would have been:
My reply:
"I feel exactly the same way. However, my upbringing, and good manners, would have prevented me from ever saying such a thing out loud."
I like this respnse. A lot.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » November 10th, 2009, 1:09 am

devildeac wrote:After the Duke-unc game, we spent over an hour traveling from the dump to the Nantucket Grill to meet with a group for dinner, arriving about 75 minutes late. (Don't get me started about why we agreed to this. Some things you just agree to do after 31 years of marriage.) Upon our arrival, we went through the usual greetings of the 8 people who we kept waiting, 5 were neutrals and 3 were unc fans who attended the game. One of the folks, who my wife has known for about 40 years or more made the following comment to me: "I would have hugged you but I didn't want to get any Duke on me or my nice blue kerlina sweater."

Not to stick up for a tar hole, but if I'd been waiting over an hour for my dinner, even if I were the paragon of manners on an average night (I'm not,) I probably would have been less than gracious in greeting a rival. :-l
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 10th, 2009, 6:12 am

DevilAlumna wrote:

Not to stick up for a tar hole, but if I'd been waiting over an hour for my dinner, even if I were the paragon of manners on an average night (I'm not,) I probably would have been less than gracious in greeting a rival. :-l
That all would make sense if not for the invention of the cell phone. :)] [WHEW!!! Finally figured out a way to use that smilie!]

If I had known someone for 30+ years, I certainly wouldn't have made the first statement something like that, regardless of how late a person was. Perhaps something like "what kept you?" would be more acceptable. If they were sufficiently pissed at the devildeacs for being late, wouldn't it have come out in cell phone communications before the event?

I believe the statement is even more patently offensive when you consider that it was directed at not only a Duke alumnus (or at Duke alumni), but at parents of someone who represents Duke in a visible role.

Maybe it's just me, but if you are friends, you don't make the opening line something that establishes yourselves as "rivals."

Walk away. Next play.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2009, 7:27 am

Okay, it's Tuesday. Answer, please. :!!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 10th, 2009, 7:38 am

Lavabe wrote:That all would make sense if not for the invention of the cell phone. :)] [WHEW!!! Finally figured out a way to use that smilie!]

If I had known someone for 30+ years, I certainly wouldn't have made the first statement something like that, regardless of how late a person was. Perhaps something like "what kept you?" would be more acceptable. If they were sufficiently pissed at the devildeacs for being late, wouldn't it have come out in cell phone communications before the event?

I believe the statement is even more patently offensive when you consider that it was directed at not only a Duke alumnus (or at Duke alumni), but at parents of someone who represents Duke in a visible role.

Maybe it's just me, but if you are friends, you don't make the opening line something that establishes yourselves as "rivals."

Walk away. Next play.
I think it depends on what kind of friends you are. For me, in some cases, people I've been friends with for 30 years are EXACTLY the people I could dish out that kind of crap to and we'd all get a good laugh at it and be friends the next day.
-- DukeUsul
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 10th, 2009, 9:53 am

I guess we're just veterans by now, having lived on the dump for over thirty years, but the truth is I would have known what I was setting myself up for by trying to get down 54 to Nantucket after a game in the first place and by joining tarholes for dinner in the second place. Sorry, Deac, but you left yourself wide open for this one.

That having been said, I would have chosen to pause, disengage, ignore the offender elaborately and have a very happy time in her presence. Living well is the best revenge. After all, it's our happy outlook on things that is the burr under their saddles.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 10th, 2009, 12:33 pm

ok dd, patience is getting thin waiting for your answer. ;)
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 10th, 2009, 1:05 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:ok dd, patience is getting thin waiting for your answer. ;)
That's what I say, VDB. I'm hoping he delivered a comeback so snappy that it will become epic. He's capable of it, you know.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 10th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Looking for your post telling what you really did at the Nantucket. We're on the clock here!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 10th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Anyone up for storming the "Bastille" tonight?
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2009, 4:45 pm

I think he beat her up, and is now in jail. They don't let you PW from jail.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 10th, 2009, 5:07 pm

We are waiting... :D
Class of 2014
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 10th, 2009, 5:37 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Anyone up for storming the "Bastille" tonight?
why not? :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 10th, 2009, 5:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I think he beat her up, and is now in jail. They don't let you PW from jail.
he must be in jail. either that or his hands are tied behind his back. =)) =)) =))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 10th, 2009, 6:12 pm

I think we can do a major ass storming of the Bastille tonight. :)) =)) :)) =)) =)) :))
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 10th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Lavabe wrote:
I think we can do a major ass storming of the Bastille tonight. :)) =)) :)) =)) =)) :))
YES WE CAN!!!! :Orc: :Angry Orc: :flame: :!! :!! :!! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))